New "2024 Epiphone Inspired by Gibson Custom 1959 Les Paul"

• Thread starter Vinsanitizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crikey

Reaction score
I have the last model 59 Epi LP with the smaller Epi headstock. It came with upgraded electronics and Gibson Burstbuckers and really plays nice.

When I bought mine they were on sale for $599. I have owned 5 over the years and this is the first Epi that I did not have to do any fret work on it other than just a polish and setup but the frets were all level. IMO, hell of a guitar for $599, great guitar for under $1000, I probably would not spend $1299 just for the Gibson headstock. I would look for a cheaper last year's one or used. For $1299, you are really getting $500 close to a low end Gibson.

View attachment 151051

View attachment 151052
I second your comments. Got my 59 Epi sweet water exclusive and i literally font need/ want the higher priced gibson.
I can gig this guitar and not worry as much as i would with a really nice gibson.
Heres the epi on my bands latest single

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Taiwan is a good place to buy from. Nice country.
And it is under threat of enslavement. But Taiwan is not part of China historically. The native people are Austronesian not Han. The Qing occupied Taiwan about 200 years ago. In 1895 China attempted to occupy Korea. The Japanese intervened and defeated the Chinese. In the peace settlement, Taiwan became a protectorate of Japan. The Taiwanese viewed the Japanese as liberators. During WWII the Taiwanese fought with the Japanese against the Chinese. It was in 1949 when Mao defeated Chiang Kai -shek that Chiang's forces came to Taiwan as a place of refuge.

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
I second your comments. Got my 59 Epi sweet water exclusive and i literally font need/ want the higher priced gibson.
I can gig this guitar and not worry as much as i would with a really nice gibson.
Sounds Killer!!

I'm not easy on my stuff. I feel the same way, no feelings are going to get hurt with this one when I bang it around because I know I will eventually.

PelliX

Reaction score
I'm not easy on my stuff. I feel the same way, no feelings are going to get hurt with this one when I bang it around because I know I will eventually.

The brand on the headstock (read: the price tag) is a factor, though I personally value my guitars by means of how they feel and play. Funnily enough, my more expensive guitars tend to be the ones I would be more inclined to leave in a fire for the sake of saving some of the 'lesser' ones. I also don't mind if my stuff has the odd scratch - it's all meant to be used, right.

nortiks

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of "lesser" branding and have no problem with guitars made by people other than Americans, as long as the product plays well and sounds great.

My Indonesian Epi Paul has a much better neck than my American Les Paul KM model did....and after a set of 57 Classics sounds every bit as good, though not identical.

In my book a good guitar is a good guitar and I hold no prejudices over who made it. In fact if anything I lean towards the top Japanese mfgrs.

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of "lesser" branding and have no problem with guitars made by people other than Americans, as long as the product plays well and sounds great.

My Indonesian Epi Paul has a much better neck than my American Les Paul KM model did....and after a set of 57 Classics sounds every bit as good, though not identical.

In my book a good guitar is a good guitar and I hold no prejudices over who made it. In fact if anything I lean towards the top Japanese mfgrs.
I agree 100%! Plus, it's not the arrow, it's the Indian right?

We are really fortunate that we live in a time where even "cheap" guitars are IMO excellent compared to "cheap" guitars of the 70's & 80's, and even better than some of the top of the line back then.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
When I started playing in the early '90's, the lower end guitars absolutely sucked compared to what's out there today.

There was not really a mid level market. It seemed like it was either entry level or high end.
I agree 100%! Plus, it's not the arrow, it's the Indian right?

We are really fortunate that we live in a time where even "cheap" guitars are IMO excellent compared to "cheap" guitars of the 70's & 80's, and even better than some of the top of the line back then.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Fuji Gen makes great Les Pauls. Kanagawa prefecture is in Free Asia, not communist Asia. Just saying.

Fuji-gen makes some the best quality guitars anywhere. Crazy consistent.
My FGN Tele copy is amazingly good and it is not even the highest end model!!

It has beat out every Fender I've tried. That is just my experience.

Attachments

• 20240203_163730.jpg
    20240203_163730.jpg
    662.9 KB · Views: 5

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score

There is nothing wrong with most any of the new Epiphone's in my opinion. A good one will be a good one as with any guitar.

With higher end guitars, there are certain clubs I wouldn't bring them into.

cyberpunk409

Reaction score
When I started playing in the early '90's, the lower end guitars absolutely sucked compared to what's out there today.

There was not really a mid level market. It seemed like it was either entry level or high end.
Yep, here in Australia in the 90's when I started out, the main brand in music shops was Samick. It was hard to find anything that wasn't Samick other than US made, which was way out of reach for me back then.

Epiphone's were considered a step up. But back then, Epi LP's did NOT have a maple cap, the necks had scarf joints, seperate heal, crappy pickups and hardware, the back was veneered (so who knows what wood they used?!?) and forums (early 2000's) were discussing whether there was any mahogany in them at all.

So they've come a loooong way since then!

But this new "inspired by Gibson CS" nonsense???? I think they're now in the same ballpark price as a brand new Edwards LP, (the Edwards may even be cheaper) and I would much rather have one of those instead.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Yep, here in Australia in the 90's when I started out, the main brand in music shops was Samick. It was hard to find anything that wasn't Samick other than US made, which was way out of reach for me back then.

Epiphone's were considered a step up. But back then, Epi LP's did NOT have a maple cap, the necks had scarf joints, seperate heal, crappy pickups and hardware, the back was veneered (so who knows what wood they used?!?) and forums (early 2000's) were discussing whether there was any mahogany in them at all.

So they've come a loooong way since then!

But this new "inspired by Gibson CS" nonsense???? I think they're now in the same ballpark price as a brand new Edwards LP, (the Edwards may even be cheaper) and I would much rather have one of those instead.
Edwards or FGN are absolutely stellar in regards to quality.

I also remember those very Epiphone pickups you are referring to. Those were terrible.