Anybody else stopped looking at new guitars?

• Thread starter GuitarIV
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
So of all the guitars I own I purchased maybe 3 completely new, or let's say for the full price. The rest was bought either on sale for a good deal or used.

I have a custom built Les Paul in the works right now and I do check out the used market here and there.

However whenever I see prices on new guitars, I just have to shake my head.

LTDs going for almost 2k, Epiphones for over 1500, American Fenders all north of 2k and let's not even mention Gibson USA here.

Now I have all I need and then some, however if I'm gonna expand my arsenal, I sure as hell ain't buying new. Anyone else feel the same?

I know the situation in general is not peachy, but prices have gone through the roof.
Whats the ETA for LP build?

jaallen

Reaction score
I am also fulfilled on my guitar purchases. I just need a good Precision Bass and PRS silver sky in Roxy pink. hrmm, guess I'm not done, but that will be it for me in guitars. I do want a PRS HDRX100 to finish my amps off.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Bought several used guitars at an auction today,
lots of advantages in used, they have lots of reviews,
often they have been modded or upgraded and that actually lowers the auction price, weird.
And there is lots of old gear I used to really want, its sort of better than new because its what I always wanted.
The older stuff has more associations and memories, the new stuff seems soulless.
And it feels like you are helping the planet by recycling and being green.

circles

Reaction score
< I don't shop if I'm not looking to buy, so have not shopped in two years since my Strat in '22. Between my LP and this, I'm covered. Maybe a few years from now for a nice acoustic.

coffeecupman

Reaction score
I've never bought a new guitar in my life.

If I am lucky enough to complete plans to revamp my finances, I'd consider commissioning from a custom builder, but that's not really the same thing.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
Its been 4 years, can he give you an estimated time frame at this point for completion?

He's joining the body and the neck this week, so I hope I'll have the guitar with me next month. I'll get it unfinished at first for a while to testdrive it, especially to see if the neck profile suits me or if we need to shave it down or fine tune it, after that it's finishing it and then it's done. So I hope I'll have it before 2030 :lol:

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Agree. I've completely given up on Fender, who I used to love almost as much as Gibson. IMO, they've lost their way. IDK what that company even is anymore. High prices, weird designs, gimmicks, ugly colors, and inconsistency across the board.
While I am not going to totally bash Fender and say everything sucks,etc....

I will say the last two I bought had some absolutely terrible quality control.

This lead to me buying an FGN, which is stellar.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Happy with all the old guitars I bought recently,
They sound fine, a few scratches dont bother me at all.
In fact I prefer playing old guitars because I dont have to be so careful
and can concentrate on playing and not protecting the guitar.
And the fashion in new guitars seems to be to make them authentic like old guitars.
So why not buy old guitars if they are more authentic and cheaper ?

Eddie Southgate

Reaction score
I plan on buying a H7V and a T7 Sire and a G&L ASAT Fullerton Special to go with my Les Paul Special and Martin 000-28GE . I gave my oldest son the other two Martins I had and a Pair of Fender electrics when he started playing in Jr High . He's also got my Blueridge 160 I bought just after they hit the market.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Still looking, but I seem to have reached the point where I am unable to improve on what I have.
Bit sad because I used to enjoy new guitars but I guess there is still studio gear...

NumbSkull

Reaction score
I plan on buying a H7V and a T7 Sire and a G&L ASAT Fullerton Special to go with my Les Paul Special and Martin 000-28GE . I gave my oldest son the other two Martins I had and a Pair of Fender electrics when he started playing in Jr High . He's also got my Blueridge 160 I bought just after they hit the market.
Sire 7 series are great guitars, I love the rolled edges on the necks.

You gave 2 Martins to a teenager? I would be scared they would be smashed.
Fenders OK because they are solid and repairable.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
This is what I am looking at this week,

All good but nothing that I need.

VicRattlehead

Reaction score
Ive not bought a new guitar since the late 2000's, ive exclusively been buying 80's Ibanez for the past few years now.

1986 Ibanez PL650, Japan only, Edge bridge, built by Fuji-Gen. Came in near mint condition with the OEM faux leather Ibanez branded case that it left the factory with. I paid £375 for this last year.

DSC_8048-1.jpg

1989 Ibanez RB60 Bronks, Japan only, available for only one year, built by Fuji-Gen. Few minor dings in the paint, very minor impressions at the back of the neck that can be sorted with a light re-finish.
I paid £295 for this instrument last year.

DSC_9726-1.jpg

New guitars don't really make sense to me nowadays....

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Ive not bought a new guitar since the late 2000's, ive exclusively been buying 80's Ibanez for the past few years now.

1986 Ibanez PL650, Japan only, Edge bridge, built by Fuji-Gen. Came in near mint condition with the OEM faux leather Ibanez branded case that it left the factory with. I paid £375 for this last year.

New guitars don't really make sense to me nowadays....
You might be interested in this,

Tahelos

Reaction score
After I started playing electric guitar in 2021 and wanted something else besides my then only electric guitar from Thomann (Harley-Benton), I started building my own Telecaster-style guitar with a mate.
This year, after endless delays, it's finally finished and I couldn't be happier.
Neck made from several pieces of wood glued and screwed to the body, Ziricote fingerboard, maple body with 1cm thick olive wood top. Hipshot open locking tuners, custom build pickups with 3 way switch and string through bridge

IMG20240517080751.jpgIMG20240517080809.jpg