NGD (are black guitars out of fashion ?)

• Thread starter NumbSkull
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't want a black Les Paul, I wanted the other color of a specific year/model because it kicks ass. It came in two finishes, I had tea burst and wanted the same guitar in the other color

Now that I have it I absolutely love it. Tone, feel and looks.

Many years ago I had a blacked out Kramer, everything except the fretboard inlays was black. I wouldn't ever pick that scheme based on looks, for the right playing guitar, OK.

View attachment 137063
I always wanted a white Studio with black & gold, just like that one. There's something a little different about the way a Studio sounds and feels, compared to the Standards, etc.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
Black guitars are better than other colors IME. I don't know why but my best guitars are black. The best guitars I tryed were black. But I love other colors too. View attachment 137083
That looks cool with the white pickguard. If the 'guard was black, then nah.
Is that around a 2006 with the "fast" neck profile, 498R & 500T? If so, I had the Natural mahogany version, 2006 model.

Kuga

Reaction score
That looks cool with the white pickguard. If the 'guard was black, nah.
Is that around a 2006 with the "fast" neck profile, 498R & 500T? If so, I had the Natural mahogany version, 2006 model.
It's a 2016 Explorer. 498R & 500T. It's so light. Perfect balance. I think Gibson made a mistake on this guitar because it's so good. It's better than my LP's.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a 2016 Explorer. 498R & 500T. It's so light. Perfect balance. I think Gibson made a mistake on this guitar because it's so good. It's better than my LP's.
I see you've got a nice collection of maps in your sig. You have good taste. :yesway:

Kuga

Reaction score
I see you've got a nice collection of maps in your sig. You have good taste. :yesway:
Thank you. Next year probably I bought an other one. A Marshall of course. A JVM205H, 1987X,... who know.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
There is something absolutely elegant about a Les Paul Standard in black with all cream or white binding and fittings.

Black will NEVER go out of style.

I have a Howard Roberts Fusion in black with white binding, and gold hardware. There's never a time when it doesn't look awesome.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
I always wanted a white Studio with black & gold, just like that one. There's something a little different about the way a Studio sounds and feels, compared to the Standards, etc.

I play the other two more often because prefer the neck shape and pickups on them. The white Studio gets a lot of love from people and I'll likely hang on to it. It's got more growl, is lighter. I got a good deal and could make a little $ selling .... but it's pretty cool

I fell into that one.....I walked into a very small local music store and it was behind the counter, for sale on consignment, pretty cheap because the top had been partially repainted behind the bridge and also had some deep scratching. Otherwise, it's completely original '07 Studio w/ ebony fretboard.
After playing it about 6 months I bought nitro lacquer paint (4 different whites) some clear coat, etc. Of course, couldn't match the faded white so the finished product was me re-spraying the whole top and sides, leaving the back and neck original paint and the two are faded together at the heal joint. It works. Still player grade I suppose, but looks much better IMO.

Never in my life did I think I'd be spray painting a Les Paul!!

Before:

pre-paint 20210903_144113.jpg

After:

20211206_121023_sm.jpg

Eric'45

Reaction score
Black Guitars in general are very cool, and a Les Paul Custom in all- black in particular is simply awesome.
My blackest guitar is the Mockingbird. Looks quite black at first glance, but it's translucent blue- grey-ish(?) in bright light.
Mockingbird.jpg

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I play the other two more often because prefer the neck shape and pickups on them. The white Studio gets a lot of love from people and I'll likely hang on to it. It's got more growl, is lighter. I got a good deal and could make a little $ selling .... but it's pretty cool

I fell into that one.....I walked into a very small local music store and it was behind the counter, for sale on consignment, pretty cheap because the top had been partially repainted behind the bridge and also had some deep scratching. Otherwise, it's completely original '07 Studio w/ ebony fretboard.
After playing it about 6 months I bought nitro lacquer paint (4 different whites) some clear coat, etc. Of course, couldn't match the faded white so the finished product was me re-spraying the whole top and sides, leaving the back and neck original paint and the two are faded together at the heal joint. It works. Still player grade I suppose, but looks much better IMO.

Never in my life did I think I'd be spray painting a Les Paul!!

Before:

View attachment 137131

After:

View attachment 137132
That looks really good.

I had a 1982 V with a headstock break repaired recently. He said he couldn't match the aged white very well. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Latest posts