gibson les paul studio ebony satin vrs gibson les paul worn cherry

• Thread starter sam marshall
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sam marshall

Reaction score
Hi been looking for a studio for awhile now and my local G.C. has one of each used. I'm not for sure what the differences are for each model? I belive they both have a 50's neck but are made of different woods and pick ups and obviously the finishes are different. Any help if appreciated

293y8if.jpg

30mvbrb.jpg

These are the exact pics from there web page, sorry i couldnt figure out how to turn the one pic right side up.

shredless

Reaction score
Id shoot for the vintage mahogany series

Ive tried several of the satin / worn models and thought they felt cheap
compared to the vintage mahogany

not sure if you want a lightweight guitar, but post 2006 they were chambered
some like that, others dont

duncan11

Reaction score
that washed cherry IIRC is made of mahogany and no maple. IMHO go locate a mid 90's LP Studio. They will be swiss cheesed (no chambering) and at the time were made the same way as the standards, sans body and neck binding. I think my old studio from that era had a mahogany neck instead of maple, and an ebony board. Damn I wish I kept it. A good condition mid 90's studio should be in the 650-900 ballpark depending on condition, or that's what I'd pay for one.

yladrd61

Reaction score
I have a Black mid 90's Studio with the Ebony fretboard it is a great guitar I have a '57 Classis and a '57 Classic Plus in it !!!

BlackSG91

Reaction score
I just love Gibson LP Studios...great guitars. I own a 2008 Gibson LP Studio (gloss black) I picked up earlier this year for a financing special of $799. It's chambered and it sounds so resonant. I had to buy it that day. I have no regrets to this day and I just love playing it whenever I get the chance...it has the perfect sound.;) LP Studios from the early to mid '90's are supposed to be real kick-ass guitars.

sam marshall

Reaction score
I went to look at both guitars and the worn cherry was gone and the ebony had been repainted. So... tell next time

ADZG

Reaction score
not to worry bro another one will become available.

BlackSG91

Reaction score
There seems to be plenty of them. Studios can average around $1,500, but you can find some sweet deals like I did. You just have to keep your eyes peeled. I want to get another LP Studio some day...maybe a black one with P90 pickups. That would rock.:jam:

gibson-tribute-60-BLACK.jpg

Bigmuff

Reaction score
I have a 91 studio Les Paul that for years ws my main guitar. It was pretty beat up when I bought it (used), and is even more so now, but it's an absolutley badass rock machine. Great fretwork, although starting to need a refret now, slick ebony fretboard, rock solid construction. Gibson made those things really tight in the 90's.

The only con is it weighs a ton due to no chambering, but it's worth it. I vastly prefer the maple capped ones over the faded mahogony only finishes, which always seem like someone forgot the finish building the guitar.

Check the years on both. But most important, if you get one or the other, get the one that feels better to YOU.

JohnH

Reaction score
Yes, Yes!
Mines a '91 Ebony Studio. It comes with several great features that make it a wonderful ax, not available as a package now :

10 pounds heavy
50's neck
curved Maple cap
Real ebony board
Grover tuners
Reflector knobs

I got some coaching from Dai Pritchard, guitarist in Rose Tattoo. He had a go on it and described it as a 'nice solid stick', then showed me some riffs.

sam marshall

Reaction score
The made in 90's seem to be a little harder to find, atleast in my area.
With the holidays getting closer i'm sure there will be some deasent sales.

DudeManCody

Reaction score
THe red one is a Les Paul studio "Faded". From my understanding these didn't have the maple top or the clear coat finish (which is why this model cost less then a painted finish. The clear coat process for Gibson is unique, expensive and takes longer then normal. Think its 6 coats) anyhow. What im finding online is that it does have a maple cap so im not to sure. I played a faded vs non faded back to back and the non faded sounded better. Still a great guitar, lots of tone..it just felt well.. cheaper. Also the fretboard looks to be "granadillo" a new wood Gibson is using for the fretboards. Which is actually incredible feel and tone (I have it on my les paul studio standard). The nexk on those models feels great IMO.

But peeps are right. Early 90's les paul studio to very early 200's had the rosewood or Ebony fretboard you cant get now unless you buy used. I searched for some time for a good ebony fretboard LP studio. Ended up getting a new LP studio on sale for the price of a used one.

If you look into the Les Paul Studio "Nitrous" these select colors were only sold for a few short years then discontinued. If you like the colors you can probably find one or two at a guitar center or sam ash for $900 new. Worth looking into. Amazing guitar. Yes its chambered and weighs less then my 2001 Les Paul Studio. But it sounds killer, and in a direct comparison between the two (chambered and non chambered, ebony fretboard and granadillo fret board) the chambered LP studio resonated a note about 3 seconds longer. (not that it really matters) but that was surprising.

Im going on a rant.
Good luck
LOL

dreyn77

Reaction score
You can see it's got a gloss black finish. great but not orig. but who cares it's not going to go anywhere much in price.

Avoid new unless you want maple.
keep looking!
try finding a mahog that has natural colours in it.

With Gibson under attack, and so noe they have to put out unfinished guitars, you should consider a refinished guitar.
THey are not taking the edges off the frets too so there is lots of work to be done on a lower priced gibson.
A finish is there to protect the wood for as long as possible. How much level of protection do you want or need?
glossy is great for scales.
matt is great for chords and grip for bending.
Keep adding to the purchase fund.