Gibson price rant

• Thread starter bill0287
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bill0287

Reaction score
Yes, I know this has been done to death, but I just can't... I have been jonesin' for a Gold top LP for a while now (I should have bought one years ago), but every time I look at the 3K price tag I can't help but feel I am being taken advantage of. One of the reasons LPS are pricey is supposed to be the highly figured maple top, right?... which on a Gold top, is covered by paint, so why is the GT not cheaper than the other LPs, since the maple top is less of a selling point?

And what's with LP customs being in the 5, 6, 7+ thousand dollar range? I mean, WTF? Who's buying these besides rock stars and rich nobodies?

I could get 4 Epi LP standards for the price of one Gibson? Seriously, what is going on with Gibson?

I'm sorry. I just had to vent.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
I know what you're saying.

My recommendation:

IMG_0267.jpeg

I had an Orville Black Beauty that cost me 800 Euros used and SHAT on every new Gibson I tried in store... only sold it because I'm funding a custom built LP by my luthier.

Tokai, Greco, Burny, Orville... if you can get past the fact that it doesn't say Gibson on the headstock the Japanese copies from the 80ies and 90ies deliver both the look and the sound.

My newest non authentic aquisition:

IMG_0268.jpeg

670 Euros including shipping.

Would I like to have a real Firebird? Sure. But I don't feel like spending several thousand bucks on one. This thing delivers.

Just my :2c:

Cheers!

V-man

Reaction score
A few things… I have seen enough refin videos to show that (maybe outside of reserving AAA or better tops) Gibson employees do not GAF about Gibson’s interests, using perfectly good flame tops on Studios and other (later-uncovered) solids. The simple rule of thumb on LPs is as follows: “Binding? Bend over!

I haven’t bought like this in a LONG time, but I managed to buy 3 Gibsons this year. How much did Gibson make off me? I believe the price of one switch tip, and the proceeds off a single T-Type pickup. I bought used, because MY Gibson rant is they can’t even build the specs I want anywhere close to a reasonable price (meaning $8k+ on wood/workmanship they otherwise charge $2k for).

Buy used, hopefully with some green patina.

bill0287

Reaction score
As long as people are paying what they're charging, the prices will remain where they are.

The Tributes and Studios are a viable alternative.

Tributes and studios don't have Gold Top versions. I am specifically talking about Gold Tops.

I am not a fan of the used market either, the savings aren't enough for me. I'd rather kick in a little more and just a have new one.

Kutt

Reaction score
I agree on all your points and bytch about them myself from time to time. We all know the only way things will stop skyrocketing is when players stop buying the products. The ONLY way.

Would love one of their "exclusive" black 70s Explorers (web site only I think). I have the cake but I'm just not going to pay $2,500.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Yes, I know this has been done to death, but I just can't... I have been jonesin' for a Gold top LP for a while now (I should have bought one years ago), but every time I look at the 3K price tag I can't help but feel I am being taken advantage of. One of the reasons LPS are pricey is supposed to be the highly figured maple top, right?... which on a Gold top, is covered by paint, so why is the GT not cheaper than the other LPs, since the maple top is less of a selling point?

And what's with LP customs being in the 5, 6, 7+ thousand dollar range? I mean, WTF? Who's buying these besides rock stars and rich nobodies?

I could get 4 Epi LP standards for the price of one Gibson? Seriously, what is going on with Gibson?

I know what youre saying, 15 years ago I spoke to my dealer, it was $2K for a goldtop and I saved for a year for it and went to order it and Gibson didnt have any and had no idea when they'd make more. My only option was a custom shop 57 reissue for $3K, I was pissed I had to save longer to get it since it was my only option! Look at the Gibson Goldtop Tribute, super nice and super affordable. If they had them back then thats what I would have gotten.

jeffb

Reaction score
Eh..Gibson prices are what they are and always have been.

Epiphone prices are the real joke. New MIC epis for $1000 to 1500 is insane. 59 RI, 58 pointies..Lifeson, Mustaines....mystery wood bodies, thick plastic finishes, thin fretboards (not even RW) super soft fret material, and pot metal bridges/tp/hardware.

And they don't hold any $ value, unlike a Gibson.

Buy a used MIJ anything on Reverb.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still say , shop around & buy used
I can count the number of new Gibsons Ive had in 45 years, on Django Reinhardt's hand ..........
When it comes to Custom Shop sh*t , forget about it .I could never justify spending that much on a guitar that Im gonna keep at the house anyway

I think at the present I have 4 Custom Shop guitars ,none of which I paid over 2.5k for

RCM 800

Reaction score
Tributes and studios don't have Gold Top versions. I am specifically talking about Gold Tops.

I am not a fan of the used market either, the savings aren't enough for me. I'd rather kick in a little more and just a have new one.
They exist

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Not going to get better any time soon either. Was at MGL about a month ago and he told me that custom shop/historic instruments are on back order for 18mos still. No shortage of people waiting patiently to pay those prices.

Honestly I find the Marshall pricing here in the US to be the real joke. $1600 for a 1960 cab? GTFO

purpleplexi

Reaction score
The thing that amazes me about the higher priced Gibsons is that they have the same crap electronics that the 'cheap' models have. Anyone who sits wondering which pickups and electronics they're going to put in their $8000 Gibson when it arrives needs something to worry about. PRS are also guilty....

V-man

Reaction score
/RantOver.

Well, just have a new one then and stop bitching, lol.

That said, a casual search on reverb of all places yielded a dozen GTs in the 1k range in @ 20 in the sub-$2k range.

lespaul339

Reaction score
I hear ya. I've also been gassing for a LP Goldtop with p90's. I own a few Gibsons, including two LP Standards, but I find it hard to justify paying that much for a guitar anymore. Especially when I don't "need" another guitar.

K9Merc

Reaction score
The Gibson demo shop has good deals on reverb. I recently dropped a lot of coin on a custom shop Trini Lopez made to measure (gear card). I didn’t buy it the first time I played it, price was just too much. However, it haunted me for over a month. I went back with my guitar buying buddy (aka my 8 year old daughter). Sat down and played it again and just fell in love with it and had to have it. I don’t have that kind of cash laying around so I put it on my guitar center gear card at 24 month interest free. I guess it just depends on how bad you want something and what you will do to make it happen.

I usually sell gear to get gear but my wife doesn’t like me getting rid of gear because I almost always buy it again. It doesn’t help that she almost never tells me no on buying gear. In most cases it an investment of sorts. Worst case you sell it and lose a couple hundred bucks but rack it up to a rental fee.
My thought is get the gear you want and don’t settle because you will always want the “one” you want.

Dan

Crikey

Reaction score

F%#k that price. 3$k?
Id play my Epi or Esp or even a Harley benton, Chibaon modified before i will pay that money.
Gig worthy guitars

Last edited:

jeffb

Reaction score
Not going to get better any time soon either. Was at MGL about a month ago and he told me that custom shop/historic instruments are on back order for 18mos still. No shortage of people waiting patiently to pay those prices.

Honestly I find the Marshall pricing here in the US to be the real joke. $1600 for a 1960 cab? GTFO
Gibson and Marshall are two sides of the same coin- at least Marshall pricing, in the USA.

I was watching an Andertons vid a few weeks back where they were shooting out all the 20ish watt British Marshally amps- SV20, SC20, PT20v2,LS, Victory Sherriff 25- and a couple times they mentioned they could almost buy both Marshalls for the same price as one of the Friedmans.

I get the whole import bit and I'm a firm Capitalist...I want Marshall to make money... but Marshall distributors (Rose Morris, KORG, whomever) have been bending Americans over for over 40 years. Maybe because they can't tax our freakin Tea anymore ;)