Gibson price rant

• Thread starter bill0287
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
Tributes and studios don't have Gold Top versions. I am specifically talking about Gold Tops.

I am not a fan of the used market either, the savings aren't enough for me. I'd rather kick in a little more and just a have new one.

Yeah, just throwing stuff out there. And I agree with you about the new vs. used.

G the wildman

Reaction score
Well I am not rich. But “Rich nobodies” come on man!

Anyway if you have the funds just do it. I bought a standard during lockdown. No regrets. They can charge a premium for a reason. That reason being: you will enjoy playing it and looking at it.

G

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
I like the GT myself.
Imho, the gold on some models just looks cheesy and unappealing. For $3k ,it's gotta be exactly what I want !

However,
I'd still like to cop one of these someday:

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
A Gold Top Les Paul (Standard or '57 Custom Shop reissue), is the final electric guitar I need to complete my collection. I have a GT 50's Tribute, I love it, but I want a really nice Standard GT.

I forget who he is on this forum, but one of us has a stellar looking GT, where the binding against the gold and the fretboard looks so sweet.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could get 4 Epi LP standards for the price of one Gibson? Seriously, what is going on with Gibson?
They are selling what they are making at market value.
You would do the same in their shoes.
If you haven't noticed, there's no end of model year clearance sales...
Your options are compromise on brand (Epi or others as stated), quality for used, or pay market price for what you really want.

gtd10.jpg

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
They are selling what they are making at market value.
You would do the same in their shoes.
If you haven't noticed, there's no end of model year clearance sales...
Your options are compromise on brand (Epi or others as stated), quality for used, or pay market price for what you really want.

View attachment 133254
I'll give you credit for not removing the pickguard there, fitz. :yesway:

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
You can look at Edwards guitars (ESP). The guy I bought my Les Paul from swears by them. I haven't played one so I don't know.

ESP Edwards E-LPS - Gold top Singlecut standard original vintage MIJ Japan MOT https://reverb.com/item/69490841?ut...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=69490841

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Im247frogs

Reaction score
The Gibson demo shop has good deals on reverb. I recently dropped a lot of coin on a custom shop Trini Lopez made to measure (gear card). I didn’t buy it the first time I played it, price was just too much. However, it haunted me for over a month. I went back with my guitar buying buddy (aka my 8 year old daughter). Sat down and played it again and just fell in love with it and had to have it. I don’t have that kind of cash laying around so I put it on my guitar center gear card at 24 month interest free. I guess it just depends on how bad you want something and what you will do to make it happen.

I usually sell gear to get gear but my wife doesn’t like me getting rid of gear because I almost always buy it again. It doesn’t help that she almost never tells me no on buying gear. In most cases it an investment of sorts. Worst case you sell it and lose a couple hundred bucks but rack it up to a rental fee.
My thought is get the gear you want and don’t settle because you will always want the “one” you want.

Dan
I played a Trini Lopez at Ed's Guitars in Miami in like 1982 and I haven't stopped thinking about it since. Unbelievable guitar.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tokai MIJ Love Rock guitars are the way to go. Most of them are half price of a Gibson. Those models will feature fret over binding and poly finish instead of lacquer. If you want lacquer those models are available too at a higher price.
The construction is great. They do the headstock right, single piece neck with book edges glued just like Gibson. I love mine.

bhatta

Reaction score
Poor guy here.
I got a Greg Bennett LP clone, some time around 2000 make.
Modded to my liking.

Waiting and waiting for a Gibson, prices just keep on increasing!

I will buy new, if on deathbed, so be it 😬

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best playing LP I’ve ever laid my hands on was a Burny.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Tokai, Greco, Burny, Orville... if you can get past the fact that it doesn't say Gibson on the headstock the Japanese copies from the 80ies and 90ies deliver both the look and the sound.

I would recommend Kiesel if their prices hadn't almost tripled over the last couple of years.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Tokai MIJ Love Rock guitars are the way to go. Most of them are half price of a Gibson. Those models will feature fret over binding and poly finish instead of lacquer. If you want lacquer those models are available too at a higher price.
The construction is great. They do the headstock right, single piece neck with book edges glued just like Gibson. I love mine.
I have an 82 MIJ Tokai GT. My first Les Paul. It's a great guitar. I took the pickups out and replaced them with whatever was the latest thing at the time. After a while I put the originals back in - they're really sweet sounding. There's something about how it plays - the notes just fall out of it.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Everything went up. Can't complain just about Gibson.
If they were 2k would you buy one?
4 years ago everyone bitched about that too. Was too much!

Look at used.
I bought 6 new and 2 used Gibbys since 2017. If one can afford it and wants one, get it.

I bought one of these 3 years ago new for $999. Made in Canada. Not considered a high end brand.

$1399 now. Was $1279 late last year.

And No, the real color is emerald, not this ugly color.

Well I am not rich. But “Rich nobodies” come on man!

Anyway if you have the funds just do it. I bought a standard during lockdown. No regrets. They can charge a premium for a reason. That reason being: you will enjoy playing it and looking at it.

G

Agreed. See above