good pickups for les paul

• Thread starter mtsalmela80
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
A big item that wasn't mentioned is budget. I didn't mention Fralin or Lollar :wave:

This is true. GFS or Stewmac would make the most sense for an Agile LP, I wouldn't spend more on pickups than what the guitar is worth.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
That's why I was thinking GFS as well. I wouldn't toss in a pickup set that costs as much as the guitar. :lol: You can get a set of GFS's most expensive pickups for like $70 with shipping included.

dreyn77

Reaction score
you sound SO right. but this is the world and there's multiple rights out there so not just 1 right way.

you can go VERY wrong using the gibson T tops.

how much is the guitar worth depends on which part of the world you live in.

there's NO 1 perfect way to think about guitar value.

I SO glad I lived long enough to go way beyond that way of thinking about guitar value.

If your enjoying your product, then it's got great value to you.

violin players play items with super tiny necks, but does it matter to them?

you've chosen a guitar with frets, so you've already known something about guitar without frets. you've known that you hate those guitars and you want this model product.

why are guys limiting the pickup choice to the JB, out of the whole SD pickup range?

THAT pickup is made for a seasoned VINTAGE amp user.

that to me says it's specific and NOT a general purpose pickup.

It's FOR SOMEBODY who ALREADY knows what sounds are obtainable from a vintage amp.

SO, FORGET suggesting that pickup in 2016 cause VINTAGE gear was a long time ago.

he doesn't have to play old songs.

what he want's is a pickup that covers multiple things, and a vintage style pickup isn't made to do that role with sounds.

get yourself a multi role pickup of newish design.
some of these newer pickups will offer you 9 to 18 different sounds.
don't go with a vintage style model with 1 to 3 different sounds

matttornado

Reaction score
I am another fan of the Dimarzio 36th anniversary pickup! I have on inthe bridge of my 1980 LP standard. Sounds amazing for all styles of music. great PAF pickup.

Get one now!

dreyn77

Reaction score
We've answered the question about what's different about the regular, now out of production dimarzio PAF and the 36th, still in production PAF model pickup.

the Out of production pickup was a 'genernic EQ idealistic' sounding pickup. it had big tone to all the sounds, but it still had a gain level similar to the old gibson, but it was making a distortion sound version, which was popular at the time.

the 36th model is EQ'ed like larry's personal gibson guitar. which is RADICALLY different to the other model pickup.

If you're familiar with old gibsons, then you'll know that that bridge pickup sound is WAY brighter and almost trebles tone, to that sound.
miles away from the full bodied tones of the dimarzio paf's. which have a bridge pickup that sounds like it's got bass tones and mid tones as well as the trebles tones.

rick16v

Reaction score
That's why I was thinking GFS as well. I wouldn't toss in a pickup set that costs as much as the guitar. :lol: .

Why not? Crappy pups will make a great guitar sound terrible. If the guitar is worth keeping, its worth putting decent pups in it. If the guitar is horrible in the first place, then there is no point keeping it anyway.

johnfv

Reaction score
...If the guitar is worth keeping, its worth putting decent pups in it. If the guitar is horrible in the first place, then there is no point keeping it anyway.
:yesway: I have a couple Epiphones that probably have nearly as much invested in replacement parts as the original guitar cost. If the "bones" of the guitar are good, invest whatever budget you feel comfortable with to make it be the best it can be.

I think the safest bet is the DiMarzio 36th PAF or Duncan Alnico2Pro. Great pickups, relatively reasonable (not boutique) prices. BTW Musician's Friend is still running a 15% off accessory sale today (code: save15), a great time to snag some pickups. Some of the GFS pickups have been good for me, others not so much. I do like the VEH and the price is good (GFS has a sale currently as well).

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I've got / had lots of quality pickups , I play mainly 70s and 80s metal and my favourite bridge pickup ( which is all I really use ) is the sd custom custom . It's got plenty of output isn't harsh , but isn't too smooth , if that makes sense .

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been using the Gibson 57 Classic & 57 Classic Plus combo for about 10 years and they're very good. I Also like Burstbuckers 1 and 2. I really like the Gibson Custombuckers in my R9, but I don't think those are available retail.

tschrama

Reaction score
Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a SD2 Jazz in the neck

classic combo.. will work good no doubt. I have these in my Epiphone. also tried the Slash signature pickups, but much prefer the JB and SD2

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
picture.php

Suhr Doug Aldrich
These are killer PUPs !!!!

picture.php

cokekolev

Reaction score
Seymour Duncan Custom bridge + Jazz neck for a very versatile set.
The Alnico II Pro is also very good in the neck.

markspiders

Reaction score
Right you are friends, the T Humbucker has been my long standing favorite. I love PAF's too but are there any around anymore???

The Seymour Duncan Invader is pretty sweet too...

Spiders

dptone5

Reaction score
I have tried the 57 Classic + and the 498T. I am in the process of trying a Custom 5 in the bridge and and '59 Neck. I like the tone chart of the Custom 5 as it is a little mid-scooped. I would also like to try a Custom-Custom, but I'm afraid that may be a little dark and loose in my LP. I have one in my Jackson Soloist and it sounds great in an alder body guitar.

jack daniels

Reaction score
From my observations that I've taken notice of here on the MF I've seen that quite a few members use either DiMarzio, Fender, Gibson, or Seymour Duncan pickups. Those members really need to broaden their horizons. Having a decent Marshall amp and using these pickups is likened unto a muscle car with an average engine. Sometimes I have to remind myself that this is an amp forum. If it were a pickup forum it'd be the other way around with higher quality pickups being the norm and average mass produced amplifiers. Different strokes for different folks however.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Changing the pots and caps will actually have a greater effect on the tone than changing pickups and leaving the stock harness in place.
As others have said though, this has to be a diamond of a cheap guitar to start chucking money at it.
My Epiphone Standard LP has a full CTS harness with orange drop caps and a pair of Burstbucker Pros, but the platform was worth it. I've played many that I wouldn't even have wasted a new set of strings on. :cool:

dreyn77

Reaction score
sounds like a great guitar georgiatec ;) .

Jack Daniels is really grasping what's going on out there! well done!

I agree, most product users should be playing other gear it seems.
they say they LOVE the gear but they're always useing other product to make the sound 'better'.

this fact shows that most retail selling is at the lowest possible standard. people are taking home these super expensive items which aren't made for them.

the saying, "don't know mate/bro, I just work here!" isn't good enough to inform the purchaser.

somebody's been buying and selling their shur pickups around here, so I guess they can't hear their custom product either.
TOo much money and not enough study could be the problem.

"if you don't like it, just sell it". is also a crap saying too.