Got my son a Marshal DSL after he came out as a Les Paul lover...

• Thread starter Daddydeluxe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daddydeluxe

Reaction score
My 11 year old has been playing for about 5 years and h recently went from a Squire mini with a Boss Katana 50 to a Fender Strat American Deluxe with a Fender Custom Pro 68 reissue. Huge improvement in sound and it's a great combination, but THEN he picked up a Gibson Les Paul...

For his birthday last month he got the Gibson Les Paul Tribute and just picked up the DSL40CR for his graduation present. So far he loves it and the sound combination of the Gibson / Marshall just nails it. The Fender amp really loves Fender guitars, but the Marshall always sounded a little thin even with the Middle on the Fender Curom Pro. Marshall DSL40CR with the Gibson is beefy with crunch, nice distortion yet clear. Also, really happy I got the Weber Mass 200 Attenuator so he can rip in his bedroom. It really steps up the tone while keeping the volume at bedroom levels. Surprised at how well the DSL40CR takes to pedals as well - OCD, AT+ and TS all sound better vs. hooking them up to the Fender 68 Custom Pro which is supposed to be THE ONE to handle pedals. The Boss DS-1 sounds really good with the Fender and maybe it's the Marshall in a Box pedals that are out of place with the Fender. Guessing Marshall in a Box pedals are fighting much harder to get the Fender into the right zone, but help the Marshall be more Marshall...

Very happy overall with the DSL40CR - it is a beast of an amp soudwise, but also because it weighs 20lbs more than the Fender Custom Pro (50lbs vs almost 30ish). Definitely staying home for the foreseeable future (I regularly haul the Fender to his lessons, but the DSL makes me pause). I also checked out the DSL20CR, but it was not quite the same league. I preferred a used DSL5C to the DSL20CR when playing them in the store and am considering grabbing it for $300 this weekend at the Sam Ash 99 year sale...

Keeping the Fender Custom Pro 68 - it's a good amp and it really expands his options. The 68 Custom Pro has a ferocious snappy sound that can be glassy, but also fuller than a typical Fender and it has Middle so there is good versatility. It's really the big brother to the Princeton which is a pretty close comparison. It's just not a Marshall even with what should be pedals. As they say, "there is no substitute."

Attachments

• IMG_5476.jpeg
    IMG_5476.jpeg
    426.1 KB · Views: 31

BluesForDan

Reaction score
welcome to the forum. Yep, no substitute for the real thing. I've recently gotten back into the Marshall fold with a couple of DSLs, specifically JCM2000 DSL 50 half stack with JCM900 1960A 4x12 and DSL 201 1x12 combo.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
My 11 year old has been playing for about 5 years and h recently went from a Squire mini with a Boss Katana 50 to a Fender Strat American Deluxe with a Fender Custom Pro 68 reissue. Huge improvement in sound and it's a great combination, but THEN he picked up a Gibson Les Paul...

For his birthday last month he got the Gibson Les Paul Tribute and just picked up the DSL40CR for his graduation present. So far he loves it and the sound combination of the Gibson / Marshall just nails it. The Fender amp really loves Fender guitars, but the Marshall always sounded a little thin even with the Middle on the Fender Curom Pro. Marshall DSL40CR with the Gibson is beefy with crunch, nice distortion yet clear. Also, really happy I got the Weber Mass 200 Attenuator so he can rip in his bedroom. It really steps up the tone while keeping the volume at bedroom levels. Surprised at how well the DSL40CR takes to pedals as well - OCD, AT+ and TS all sound better vs. hooking them up to the Fender 68 Custom Pro which is supposed to be THE ONE to handle pedals. The Boss DS-1 sounds really good with the Fender and maybe it's the Marshall in a Box pedals that are out of place with the Fender. Guessing Marshall in a Box pedals are fighting much harder to get the Fender into the right zone, but help the Marshall be more Marshall...

Very happy overall with the DSL40CR - it is a beast of an amp soudwise, but also because it weighs 20lbs more than the Fender Custom Pro (50lbs vs almost 30ish). Definitely staying home for the foreseeable future (I regularly haul the Fender to his lessons, but the DSL makes me pause). I also checked out the DSL20CR, but it was not quite the same league. I preferred a used DSL5C to the DSL20CR when playing them in the store and am considering grabbing it for $300 this weekend at the Sam Ash 99 year sale...

Keeping the Fender Custom Pro 68 - it's a good amp and it really expands his options. The 68 Custom Pro has a ferocious snappy sound that can be glassy, but also fuller than a typical Fender and it has Middle so there is good versatility. It's really the big brother to the Princeton which is a pretty close comparison. It's just not a Marshall even with what should be pedals. As they say, "there is no substitute."
That Marshall + Les Paul combination us just magical.

tallcoolone

Reaction score

My 11yr old self really wishes he had you for a dad!

Central Scrutinizer

Misanthropic Humanitarian
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My reward for everything when I was a kid? Socks or underwear.

Seriously, good thing you’re doing there dad! Nice to have guitar in common.

Keep up the good work. I will admit, when I first read the heading of your post, “…after he came out…”, I thought, “here we go, can’t escape modern day topics, even on my amp forum”. Glad it was about a Les Paul. LOL!

K9Merc

Reaction score
My dad was a guitar player too but we didn’t have a lot of money to buy super nice gear. He did always get me what he could and never grounded me from guitar and I was grounded a lot! For my high school graduation he gave me his 1964-65 Gibson SG special. Still have it and miss him with a passion! Your doing a great job!