Got Myself A Line 6 G10 Relay Wireless - Initial Review

• Thread starter voxman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

voxman

Reaction score
In the UK, these normally retail for circa £140 but I found a brand new one (from a proper store, Simmonds Music) on EBay for £127 buy it now but also 'best offer'. So I offered £90 and got it. Service was superb, arrived brand new, neatly packaged, within 26 hrs of placing the order! Even have a 14 day return option if I didn't like it (purchaser pays for postage, which is fair enough!).

Quick overview
Advertised as needing no batteries, up to 8 hrs use per charge on transmitter, easy plug-in to guitars with no 'pop', auto-channel finder, auto-standby, the same 2.4GHz frequency as other Relay's, and a 50ft indoor range, it sounded really simple & easy to use and for home, rehearsals and the smaller type of club/party gigs we do, it sounded really good and worth a 'punt'.

Ease of Use
Really coudn't be simpler. It comes with mains PSU (different plug fittings in the Box for different countries). The Transmitter comes partly charged but its best to fully charge it in the base receiver first. Take the transmitter out of the base, plug it in, plug the transmitter into your guitar (no pop!) and within 2 seconds it auto-sets the channel - strum, and you're there. Leave the guitar unplayed for 4 mins, and it goes into auto-standby to conserve power. Strum the guitar, and it comes out of standby instantly.

Performance
Having used the G10 at home and rehearsals, so far I'm very very pleased with it indeed. It works just as advertised with great sound quality. I was worried about the transmitter being a bit big, but actually it's smaller than you think and is not obtrusive in any way.

Compared to cables?
Interestingly, via the 1/4" (non-balanced) output the G10 Relay firmware 'tonality' is set akin to a 10ft cable. This means (and it's similar with the more expensive Relay units eg G30/50/70 etc - I've previously used our drummer's G70 at our gigs) that you get very slightly more 'highs' because you're losing the impedance and 'highs roll-off' effect of longer cables (I use a Vox coiled cable and 6m Pirahna cables) Whilst I can notice these extra highs a little at home, in a band mix at rehearsal neither I nor my bandmates could notice any perceptible difference.

The G10 also has a balanced XLR out for PA/Board, which does not have the 'cable' tone 'effect'.

With the more expensive Relay units, these have a switch to set the cable tone equivalent to different length cables. Understandably, you don't get that refinement with the G10. But adding back the treble 'roll-off' (assuming you can hear much difference in the first place) is easy - just a slight tweak of your amps EQ. But what's interesting is that the G10 tone is actually clearer and is how your guitar/amp should sound!

Digital tone?
I'd read one user review that suggested the G10 sounded a little digital. I can assure you it absolutely does NOT - if it did, trust me it would have gone straight back. The tone is very natural and cable-like.

Range
I haven't realy had a chance to properly check its effective range, but even downstairs of my house through walls/staircase etc (around 25ft - my amps are in my den upstairs) there were no dropouts.

No batteries
What a God send! Up to 8 hrs playing on a single charge - brilliant!

Tips
  1. AFAIK, the transmitter fits in and works with any guitar (Strats, LP's, SG's, PRS etc) However, if you have active p/ups and for certain types of electro-acoustic, you may need a simple adapter that costs just a £ or two (its a simple male/female convertor I think).
  2. Before putting the transmitter in your guitar at a venue, put it in the base first to ensure the best auto-channel is selected.
  3. The receiver has a micro USB fitting for the mains PSU, just like a mobile phone. However, if you want to power it from your pedal-board PSU for £2-4 or so you can buy a simple adapter that will let you do so. See here:https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-...690060038.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.186.aTPUcI or here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2221...=1007366&device=c&campaignid=620865095&crdt=0

I hope this post has been useful to anyone contemplating the G10 Relay and if I have any further comments (good or not so good) I'll update the post. But if you're looking for a good, simple wireless system for home, rehearsals and smaller venue gigs the G10 Relay is definitely worth checking out.

Best

Rich

Last edited:

voxman

Reaction score
Been using the G10 all the time now - sounds really good, with my guitars/tone sounding just that little bit clearer/more transparent & with a pinch more definition.

wolf5150

Reaction score
Try using your volume pot. I recently got a G50 because a mate of mine explained that his made the volume pot much more usable.
I got one to try and totally agree with his findings, my volume pot is now fully usable.
Brilliant discovery that I understand is caused by the buffering of the wireless.

voxman

Reaction score
Try using your volume pot. I recently got a G50 because a mate of mine explained that his made the volume pot much more usable.
I got one to try and totally agree with his findings, my volume pot is now fully usable.
Brilliant discovery that I understand is caused by the buffering of the wireless.

That's interesting, but I have to say that having tried the G10 Relay with different amps and guitars, I have noticed no difference here with regards to guitar volume pot response. I don't feel this is to do with 'buffering' (the G10 Relay is not like a Boss stomp pedal here) The only thing you might be hearing is slightly more top-end and less muddiness as compared to cables with higher capacitance and as compared to the 10ft cable 'equivalence' built into the G10. This might translate into a more responsive volume pot response which, if you perceive it, is a plus.

wolf5150

Reaction score
I set my G50 on the 15' cable setting. A wireless
does act like a buffer and the volume pot reacts accordingly.
I've compared with and without and my rig definitely reacts differently with the G50.

voxman

Reaction score
I set my G50 on the 15' cable setting. A wireless
does act like a buffer and the volume pot reacts accordingly.
I've compared with and without and my rig definitely reacts differently with the G50.

It's an interesting discussion re using wireless systems, and having done some research I now appreciate that wireless systems do act as a buffer.

I wonder if it's language/terminology where we might unintentionally be confusing each other. I appreciate that as a result of adding higher frequencies back, the guitar volume knob response might be perceived as being more 'useable' because it's less muddy...if that's what you mean by 'react differently' then that I can hear, and I concur. But that's just proportionate to the 'starting' tone.

But if you mean the underlying characteristic of volume roll-off clean-up (i.e. when the tone cleans up relative to knob position - the response curve - which is what I had originally thought you meant by the volume knob being more 'useable') then I still can't perceive any difference - the underlying 'roll-off' characteristic seems the same to my ears.

Last edited:

Antmax

Reaction score
I just got a Line 6 Spider 5 to review and they included a G10T. I'm thoroughly impressed with the wireless. The Amp itself is decent but haven't had long enough to really compare. I bought a CODE day it came out and the code has better dynamics. But the G10 really blew me away, wish I had a receiver so I could use it with the CODE too.

They don't sell the receivers separately damn it :(

I too was worried that it might not fit my guitar. Specifically the Mitchel I reviewed a while back. That had an odd 45 degree jack inset in the edge with a slight recess, I was amazed that the reciever JUST fit. It doesn't look like it's a few mm out but green LED is solid, works fine and stays put.

Thought I'd add pics.

G10T.jpg

Last edited:

voxman

Reaction score
I just got a Line 6 Spider 5 to review and they included a G10T. I'm thoroughly impressed with the wireless. The Amp itself is decent but haven't had long enough to really compare. I bought a CODE day it came out and the code has better dynamics. But the G10 really blew me away, wish I had a receiver so I could use it with the CODE too.

They don't sell the receivers separately damn it :(

I too was worried that it might not fit my guitar. Specifically the Mitchel I reviewed a while back. That had an odd 45 degree jack inset in the edge with a slight recess, I was amazed that the reciever JUST fit. It doesn't look like it's a few mm out but green LED is solid, works fine and stays put.

Actually, I think that Line 6 will supply the G10 base receiver separately since the launch of Spider V. Contact your nearest Line 6 dealer/distributor for details.

Antmax

Reaction score
I checked with both Line 6 sales who sent me to support. They only sell the transmitter. You have to buy the whole G10 kit to get the receiver. I can understand it, it's really hard to go back to a cable after using a almost faultless wireless for a few days.

I say faultless, I did manage to make it screw up, but it was more of a brain fart thing.

My wife's notebook wouldn't connect a bunch of web pages. I moved the router from it's normal position 18 inches to the side of the Spider to directly behind it. Didn't fix her internet, that was a DNS problem. But the next day the G10 kept cutting out and pulsing every 2-3 seconds. I took my guitar apart, redid the jack soldering. In the evening I saw a stray Ethernet cable (tested that on the notebook too) The cable was still hooked up to the router leaning against the amp. DOH!

So, G10 works great so long as you don't do something really stupid like me. Back to normal with 40+ foot range when router and Spider are 18" apart.

Vinsanitizer

aka "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
If I'm correct, Line 6 got their start in wireless units when they bought out some company with a pedalboard-mountable system called something like the "X"or "X2", I don't recall. But I had one around 2008 or so. They were $199 and the first wireless I'd used since the old Nady 201 True Diversity days. They were great even before Line 6 got them, and when they bought 'em out they just kept improving them. The clarity was nearly indistinguishable from a cable, though discerning ears might hear more highs coming from the less expensive units. Digital finally succeeded the old companding technology of the earlier Nady systems, etc. Rechargeable batteries are a godsend because a Duracell 9v can go for what, $5 or $6 a pop now? Some brands even went to AA batteries. I would prefer 100+ ft. range. I'd only rely on half the rated range in actual practice. I can't see how the technology could improve from where it is right now. Glad you dig your new system.

Yeah, here it is - the X2 system before Line 6 bought them out. You just put the Xceiver on your pedalboard:

complete_system-698516d6f732e3dbf62a38958b2d24c0.jpg

Last edited:

ColorfulMusic

Reaction score
If I'm correct, Line 6 got their start in wireless units when they bought out some company with a pedalboard-mountable system called something like the "X"or "X2", I don't recall. But I had one around 2008 or so. They were $199 and the first wireless I'd used since the old Nady 201 True Diversity days. They were great even before Line 6 got them, and when they bought 'em out they just kept improving them. The clarity was nearly indistinguishable from a cable, though discerning ears might hear more highs coming from the less expensive units. Digital finally succeeded the old companding technology of the earlier Nady systems, etc. Rechargeable batteries are a godsend because a Duracell 9v can go for what, $5 or $6 a pop now? Some brands even went to AA batteries. I would prefer 100+ ft. range. I'd only rely on half the rated range in actual practice. I can't see how the technology could improve from where it is right now. Glad you dig your new system.

Yeah, here it is - the X2 system before Line 6 bought them out. You just put the Xceiver on your pedalboard:

complete_system-698516d6f732e3dbf62a38958b2d24c0.jpg
Im happy to see the good reviews on this. Its on my Christmas list I am fed up with twisty cords

Vinsanitizer

aka "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
By the way, when I said I'd prefer a 100+ ft. range, that was only for doubling the leeway and reliability. Ultimately, if you get too far from your amp and the rest of the band, you're going to hear a delay in sound and you won't be playing right. I like to get a sense of my tone and volume from the sound board, back of a large room, etc. at sound checks. So having, say, 100-150 usable feet is great for that.