Got some bad news last week..

• Thread starter DaDoc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Garrett

Reaction score
I have a type of arthritis that has F’ed up my back and neck.
I have had pretty good success managing pain/fatigue with dietary changes.
Acupuncture also seems to be beneficial to me. Of course insurance doesn’t cover acupuncture; A-holes!

Have had it in my neck for over 5 years, I know how it feels.

But, last week something changed for the worse. Pain was at a 0 and would peak to a 3ish, that was fine and could live with it. When I was originally diagnosed first question they asked, "would you like pain medication?". No freakin' way, the over prescribing for pain relief was crazy at that time too. Physical therapy helped but was hard to schedule with work and they charged $20 every visit for the co-pay.

They would give me pain killers for free and with my addictive personality would have become just another junky. No thanks.

Last week somethin in my neck changed for the worse. Pain is now a constant 3 and spikes to 6-7 with some numbing in the left shoulder. Went to the ER, sat there all day waiting for an MRI and left after 7-8 hours. Next appointment opening for MRI is 12 days later.

Again, ER was more than happy to give me pain killers but an MRI.....wait your turn.

Good luck OP. Diet is one of the best alternatives and therapy may help as well. Unfortunately, it's not going to get any better.

Saw Elton John and Neil Young several years ago. When the camera zoomed in on their hands I couldn't believe they could still play. Elton's hands looked pretty messed up but he still played well. Same with Neil.

neikeel

Reaction score
The fundamental problem is not inflammatory in this case. It is wear and tear - the cartilage has gone and will not come back with current technology. You can try all sorts of things if you like but, to be blunt, you will have to adapt.
Arthritis in the thumb MCP joint is one of the commonest sites but most people do not notice it like their hips, knees and backs because most are not musicians.
I sympathise as I have it too, not too bad yet, but it comes from 20years of playing competitive rugby with a couple of dislocations and a fracture of ring finger metacarpal in same (non-dominant hand).
Ideally keep it moving but steroid shots and anti-inflammatories will help with the pain whilst they are in your system but will not fix it, you'll get lots of snake oil pushers too;).
Personally I would avoid surgery for as long as possible as it is not as effective or long lived as hips, knees or even shoulders (that comes from a surgeon - me- admittedly GI and not orthopaedic and I have done my research!).

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Personally I would avoid surgery for as long as possible as it is not as effective or long lived as hips, knees or even shoulders (that comes from a surgeon - me- admittedly GI and not orthopaedic and I have done my research!).

i need you to come open my arm up and take a looksee. lol

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
Well, the shot wasn't as painful as I'd been led to believe, but after I got home my hand was feeling pretty lousy.

Today it's still sore, but not bad.

I asked the doc about surgery if it came to that, he said I have several options, and the goal with any of them is to:

1) Alleviate pain.

2) Keep range of motion.

3) Hand strength.

Apparently they can fix the pain, but it's a toss-up on range of motion and hand strength..I can have one or the other, but not both.

He recommended in my case to go with range of motion.

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
Thanks, Rick!

Along with everyone else, thanks for both the advice and well-wishing! :D

I've said it before but it's worth repeating..Gettin' old ain't for sissies! :erk:

And in my case, it could be a helluva lot worse..I'm gonna count my blessings, I have a good friend back in N.C. who's confined to a wheelchair now, so I can damn sure deal with a sore hand..

wakjob

Reaction score
That I already suspected..I found out I have bad arthritis in both my hands, particularly in my left thumb joint. Been having pain in my hand for awhile now, and decided to go to a hand doctor and have it X-rayed. No cartlidge left in my left thumb joint, and the doc gave me several options..

-Live with it and eat crap like Tylenol for the pain.

-Get a steroid shot (I'm actually scheduled to have that done tomorrow)

-Last resort, surgery.

He didn't mention anything like physical therapy, and I stated repeatedly that I was a guitar player, not to try and impress him, but rather to let him know how important it was to my life..But it seemed to go right over his head.

Is anyone else having to deal with this? And is there any alternative treatments specifically for guitarists and musicians?

I hate to be that guy...but you can GREATLY reduce the pain of arthritis simply by adjusting your diet.

Get all inflammatory foods out of your life. And look into adding LOTS of collagen into your meals.

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Gutch220

Reaction score
I would get another opinion by a doctor that 'cares' more. let them know beforehand, your situation. or better yet, find a doctor that plays guitar. they'd understand.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel ya doc, I more than likely have a bit of it myself, swinging hammers, saws , wood, and all the crap we sometimes have to demo, and I also get gout in my right wrist.
Take the best possible care you can , and as others have already said, diet plays a big roll as well, the part I don’t like is the no cold beers after I get home from work..
And you’re right, getting old ain’t for sissies.
Cheers
Mitch

Ramo

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that, get a second opinion too and search for ways you can help yourself. Good luck I hope you still can play in long run.

Sustainium

Reaction score
More than likely you will have to learn to play through the pain. That is definitely my experience and not just guitar playing unfortunately. I hope therapy and maybe rest gives you some relief.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I feel ya doc, I more than likely have a bit of it myself, swinging hammers, saws , wood, and all the crap we sometimes have to demo, and I also get gout in my right wrist.
Take the best possible care you can , and as others have already said, diet plays a big roll as well, the part I don’t like is the no cold beers after I get home from work..
And you’re right, getting old ain’t for sissies.
Cheers
Mitch

Sorry to hear Mitch!