Got tired of Elixir acoustic strings, trying Martin

• Thread starter BlueX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlueX

Reaction score
I've been using Elixir (PhBr Nanoweb) on my steel string acoustic for a couple of years now. I liked the clear and detailed sound in the beginning. Lately I got the feeling that it was more the tone of the strings I heard, and not the tone of the guitar. Before Elixir I tried some D'Addario's that I never liked.

This Martin set seems to give the guitar a more natural sound. I particularly like the low strings.

I use 12-54/56. Tried lighter strings but the tone almost disappeared.

Furch-Martin.jpg

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
I've been using Elixir (PhBr Nanoweb) on my steel string acoustic for a couple of years now. I liked the clear and detailed sound in the beginning. Lately I got the feeling that it was more the tone of the strings I heard, and not the tone of the guitar. Before Elixir I tried some D'Addario's that I never liked.

This Martin set seems to give the guitar a more natural sound. I particularly like the low strings.

I use 12-54/56. Tried lighter strings but the tone almost disappeared.

View attachment 129644

I use 12-54 martin strings 80/20 bronze ones. Best all round sound I’ve got from my D10.
Tried 13s and they didn’t offer anything more on the 12s except being harder to play and the 11s sounded thinner and more brittle overall.
Tried their phosphorus bronze and didn’t like them at all. Too warm and middy where I wanted brighter with good bass and I guess a bit more scooped in the middle.
Tried daddario like you said, didn’t like them either. Just sounded rubbish and don’t know why. Can’t explain. They’re my favourite electric string without a doubt just not for acoustic.

Let us know how you get on with them.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
Sometimes I use Martin Monel on my D18.
Santa Cruz are good but expensive. Dogal from Italy are really good. GHS Thin Core are pretty decent.
DR, Curt Mangan, J. Pearse are all pretty good too.

I still use 13s but sometimes get hybrid 13 sets that incorporate a couple lighter strings.

BlueX

Reaction score
I use 12-54 martin strings 80/20 bronze ones. Best all round sound I’ve got from my D10.
Tried 13s and they didn’t offer anything more on the 12s except being harder to play and the 11s sounded thinner and more brittle overall.
Tried their phosphorus bronze and didn’t like them at all. Too warm and middy where I wanted brighter with good bass and I guess a bit more scooped in the middle.
Tried daddario like you said, didn’t like them either. Just sounded rubbish and don’t know why. Can’t explain. They’re my favourite electric string without a doubt just not for acoustic.

Let us know how you get on with them.
Might try 80/20 next time I change strings. Does your D10 have spruce top? My guitar has cedar top and mahogany sides, back and neck.

BlueX

Reaction score
Sometimes I use Martin Monel on my D18.
Santa Cruz are good but expensive. Dogal from Italy are really good. GHS Thin Core are pretty decent.
DR, Curt Mangan, J. Pearse are all pretty good too.

I still use 13s but sometimes get hybrid 13 sets that incorporate a couple lighter strings.
Thanks for the list! Will try Monel, but the others are not available from my usual suppliers. Need to look around more.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
Might try 80/20 next time I change strings. Does your D10 have spruce top? My guitar has cedar top and mahogany sides, back and neck.

Yeah spruce top and sapele back and sides. Select hardwood neck? And richlite fingerboard and bridge

Latest posts