IF YOU'RE GETTIN OLDER

• Thread starter dro
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
A genuine Well-Hung guitar strap will also mitigate a Les Paul weight. Look em up on Reverb. Super custom, great price fantastic service and no, I am not affiliated.

oMmcyVX.jpg

MJx369S.jpg
You're Canadian, and Well Hung are out of Canada.

Something fishy...

ampeq

Reaction score
I'm not really sure what a Les Paul sounds like- to me they can produce lots of different tones but Uncle Tedly used those Byrdlands and they sounded huge- eg.

I went to look at a used Heritage H-535 just the other day. Didn't love the aging. Semi-hollow intrigues me though.
Congrats to OP- nice looking guitars.
Heritage makes some very nice guitars. I have a Gibson ES335 Figured that is very nice, great playability. (Rounded C neck with Plek’d frets.) Well worth checking out and a sweet guitar. However, order a set of Lindy Fralin vin. PAF’s if you find one, those Calibrated T - type pups didn’t cut it for me. Kinda muddy sounding.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rudy***

Reaction score
After I win the lottery, I'll buy some of those beautiful Gibsons y'all have on this post.

BakedBeans

Reaction score
And don't want the weight of a Les Paul but still want the tone. Look at these.
I think I just started a new collection.
CS-336 Wildwood
Custombuckers, 6.5ish lbs. and tone for days.
View attachment 157868
PRS McCarty model for me. '59 neck. All specs are LP except thinner mahogany under the maple cap. There is a hollow sound with the weight relief LPs that I don't like. I swapped out the PRS pickups with Fralin PAFs and put in 59 style wiring. Feels like and sounds like my old LP, but my back and shoulder thank me after a couple of hours.

hbluk2002

Reaction score
I really lucked out with my 2013 ‘59 reissue VOS that weighs in at about 7 lbs 5 oz. I don’t think they show up that light anymore.IMG_1998.jpeg

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
Heritage makes some very nice guitars. I have a Gibson ES335 Figured that is very nice, great playability. (Rounded C neck with Plek’d frets.) Well worth checking out and a sweet guitar. However, order a set of Lindy Fralin vin. PAF’s if you find one, those Calibrated T - type pups didn’t cut it for me. Kinda muddy sounding.
The Heritage that's for sale locally had Lollar humbucker sized single coils installed- sounded good but if I get that style of guitar I want humbuckers. It was also "Artisan Aged" ; The finish was kind of cool but imo they went overboard aging the chrome parts.

I'm kind of a homer and the fact that Heritage is Michigan based and a small maker is appealing to me. Some people don't like the headstock shape but I think it's fine.

dro

Reaction score
Yeah, I played so many PRS guitars over the years. Never liked the tone.
I own two now. A Santana Retro, and a Custom 24. I chose Seymore Duncan 59's for the Custom 24. My tech told me, he's changed more pickups in PRS guitars. They should start selling them without pickups.
Sorry if that may upset some of you. I have very specific things I look for in tone. The custom 24 is a 2023 Fire Red. Fit and finish are second to none. But the tone just doesn't "make me want to play," like my Gibson's do. When I play my Les Pau's and now my 336's. I don't want to put them down. If the 59's in the Custom 24 don't do it. It'll be going on the block.

ampeq

Reaction score
The Heritage that's for sale locally had Lollar humbucker sized single coils installed- sounded good but if I get that style of guitar I want humbuckers. It was also "Artisan Aged" ; The finish was kind of cool but imo they went overboard aging the chrome parts.

I'm kind of a homer and the fact that Heritage is Michigan based and a small maker is appealing to me. Some people don't like the headstock shape but I think it's fine.
The Heritage H-535 is about a grand less than my ES335 and comes with a set of Seymour Duncan '59 humbuckers. The 2 guitars are every bit as good as each other, it would come down to which one speaks to you. As for aging a guitar, I find that pointless. It would be like saving up for a brand new car and saying “how about sanding a couple spots on the rear quarter to get some rust going, kick the front fender in, and break the window crank”. I want it to look like a used car my aunt gave me. I’ll give you an extra grand. I don’t even want me to ding it up!

ampeq

Reaction score
Yeah, I played so many PRS guitars over the years. Never liked the tone.
I own two now. A Santana Retro, and a Custom 24. I chose Seymore Duncan 59's for the Custom 24. My tech told me, he's changed more pickups in PRS guitars. They should start selling them without pickups.
Sorry if that may upset some of you. I have very specific things I look for in tone. The custom 24 is a 2023 Fire Red. Fit and finish are second to none. But the tone just doesn't "make me want to play," like my Gibson's do. When I play my Les Pau's and now my 336's. I don't want to put them down. If the 59's in the Custom 24 don't do it. It'll be going on the block.
I tried to like PRS guitars because I love the looks of them. But I never liked any of their pickups, even though I see others play them and they sound great. Of course I can change them out, but the necks, I just can’t jive with the necks. I tried them all but can’t talk myself into them. Same with Kiesel guitars, they make some nice stuff but they just don’t fit my hand I guess.

Mrmadd

Reaction score
I took 69 years to get a good Les Paul.
I am not giving up on it now!

FlightWolf

Reaction score
That's the first I've heard about Well-Hung guitar straps! They look like they are well made. I've been buying wide straps from Heavy Leather for several years now. I'm an old fart also and I can vouch that a well made wide strap can make a world of difference. BTW my LP traditional is just shy of 9 lbs,

Mrmadd

Reaction score
Took the best one off the wall at GC.

They made me feel like a KING that day.

Traded some dusty cheap guitars out of my closet, and wala...
A brand new quilt top burgundy Les Paul.
Sweeeeeeeet

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
The Heritage H-535 is about a grand less than my ES335 and comes with a set of Seymour Duncan '59 humbuckers. The 2 guitars are every bit as good as each other, it would come down to which one speaks to you. As for aging a guitar, I find that pointless. It would be like saving up for a brand new car and saying “how about sanding a couple spots on the rear quarter to get some rust going, kick the front fender in, and break the window crank”. I want it to look like a used car my aunt gave me. I’ll give you an extra grand. I don’t even want me to ding it up!
Some people rave about the Murphy Lab Gibsons. The Heritage was supposed to be like that I suppose.

I like some of the lightly aged guitars I've seen but generally I don't care for "relics". Funny you mention cars- some hot rod guys are doing fake patinas.

Oldpunk

Reaction score
I'm old but have zero issues with a Les Paul's weight . I actually prefer it because it feels substantial which I love .

People make it sound like you're carrying 40 pounds around your neck for God's sakes , grow a pair !!!
Im old too and think the opposite....even when I was younger. Tanks that sound good but are uncomfortable AF, its not just the weight (Im 6'4", 205 with a pair btw). If it wasnt for the shorter scale length making them easier (softer) to play and some good tones Id want nothing to do with one. I have two that never get played.

ampeq

Reaction score
Some people rave about the Murphy Lab Gibsons. The Heritage was supposed to be like that I suppose.

I like some of the lightly aged guitars I've seen but generally I don't care for "relics". Funny you mention cars- some hot rod guys are doing fake patinas.
Yep, some think the Muphy Lab stuff is just wonderful. I shy away as soon as I see those words because I know it will cost about $2000 more just because he painted it. What a great gig he has going.

Nadir

Reaction score
I am not sure at all that a wider strap could relieve the pain on the back.

At most it would alleviate the pressure on the shoulder but the weight on the back will always be the same ... as well as the pain. 😜

Derrick111

Reaction score
Some of us are getting too soft... Les Paul played a Les Paul into his 90s. The heavy 70s ones at that so suck it up! ;)

Les Paul.JPG