• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Greatest Marshall Ever!

• Thread starter drbob
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SWLABR

Reaction score
Hey Swank, what's up. You're on the Palace right?

Does your 67' SB have Green on Black Tolex?

MrSticky

Reaction score
My personal favorite is a '76 100 watt Super Lead. First amp I gigged with. Still have that unmistakable tone in my damaged ears. I've been cruising for another but not as seriously as I once was since I got my 9100. Top right in pic.
INa.jpg

swankmotee

Reaction score
Hey Swank, what's up. You're on the Palace right?

Does your 67' SB have Green on Black Tolex?

Hey SWLABR! Sorry so long for a reply but have been very busy at other sites as I tend to drift towards the LP/Fender forums and mtb sites but yes I'm over at PP quite a bit but have been looking around trying to find where all the wise ones moved on to. It seems that there is a influx of village idiots over there and the same old yahoos stroking themselves and I really get tired of reading their "expert" claims.Glad to see this site is getting some more use by those who care and have some great knowledge and info to bestow! My 67' has green tolex and the two drakes and sounds very fine, very brown and tight! I love it with both the LP and the vintage Strats because it's got that true 60's thing that just can't be duplicated!

Reactions: JAC

SWLABR

Reaction score
Looks like it took me some time as well man, I have been in funk lately..

Swank check this site out mine is the 67' SuperBass in there 12055

Marshall Pictorial Page

I'm curious as to how close the specs on our SuperBasses are?

Was yours made for the US like mine. Probably not mine has Dagnall's.

ledfree

Reaction score
Let's get this party started! What, in your opinion is the greatest Marshall ever built. I'll put in my vote for the 1979 Park Rockhead. 100w, useful master volume, essentially two channels from the Superlead with the ability to cascade one into the other. What the JCM800 WOULD have been if Jim had had the extra cash...

I'm not sure but I have a Marshall combo equivalent, a 1978 JMP 2150 1x12 100w combo
and its a bit rare

BYoung

Reaction score
Hey Ledfree,
I have the 2x12 version and I have to agree that it's a great amp. But..... I'm a bit torn between that my 1969 Major and my 1959SLP's. In all I've never heard a bad sounding Marshall. I really like the fact that I can link my Plexis to get even better tone, but I can use the Major at non-lethal levels to get the same tone(I just need someone to help me move the thing).

PaoloJM

Reaction score
I currently own a '81 JCM800, verticle inputs, and a '71 JMP50. I've played numerous others, 900, DSLs etc. but the that JMP50 is the best sounding Marshall I've ever played.
The best sounding I've ever heard is over on the Plexi Palace site where one of the mods has a no serial number, offset type JTM from '63 I think. He's posted a clip of this amp as a sticky and you really oughta check it out. :rock:

102d1213794631-new-guy-suc52030.jpg

swankmotee

Reaction score
Looks like it took me some time as well man, I have been in funk lately..

Swank check this site out mine is the 67' SuperBass in there 12055

Marshall Pictorial Page

I'm curious as to how close the specs on our SuperBasses are?

Was yours made for the US like mine. Probably not mine has Dagnall's.

Now I'm REALLY embarrassed for taking so long to check back in over here! Are all those amps in your pic cataloge still with you?! DAMN! Mighty fine stuff and very nice 67' there. In answer to your original question, my 67' is a UK model that had been lovingly refurbished back to stock by PlexiPalace and I had it professionally recovered here in Nashville with some dead on green tolex. It's totally kleen except for a nice "XLR" jack hole someone left from back in the day on the middle of the back panel but the plexi plates are mint otherwise. I would send some close up pics of it but it's down at Paul Cochrane's shop being used as the amp for play testing Tim & Timmy pedals that we build. I'll get back to ya on it in the near future and hope you're rockin' yours on a regular basis!

MrSticky

Reaction score
I think the headline should read, "Marshall-The Greatest Ever" because they all sound great. I'm finally back at "Destination Tone" since I bought my '77 JMP MKII 50 watter. I still lust after a 100 watt Superlead to fulfill my fantasies. I dug my Jubilee but favor the JMP.
000aamarsha.jpg

SWLABR

Reaction score
Hey swank. Yes I rock mine almost everyday I get a chance.

What do you mean that yours is being refurbished?

Mine is all stock minus the hole and the obvious missing stuff.

Unfortunately everything is gone except for the 67' SuperBass.

Essentially I sold everything you see to get what I have right now.

67' SuperBass, 68' 100 logo cab and 62' players strat.

swankmotee

Reaction score
Hey swank. Yes I rock mine almost everyday I get a chance.

What do you mean that yours is being refurbished?

Mine is all stock minus the hole and the obvious missing stuff.

Unfortunately everything is gone except for the 67' SuperBass.

Essentially I sold everything you see to get what I have right now.

67' SuperBass, 68' 100 logo cab and 62' players strat.

Actually, it had been already refurbished electronically by Plexipalace when I bought it. All they did was put back some of the missing original mustard caps and clean up the power supply, everything else was period correct. Mine has the "Two Drakes" and sounds really huge and I know you know what I'm talking about! When I got it the headbox was recovered wrong and I had the guy who builds the cabs for Heritage recover it for me with some of that awful green reissue tolex which he somehow treated to make look so close to the original 60's stuff that you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. I'm really super happy with this amp and have a great set of 60's RFT 34's in it and it just kix major ass like only one of those can! RAWK ON!

P.S. In the pic, see if you can guess which head it is!

Attachments

• Houdini Box & amps 014.jpg
    Houdini Box & amps 014.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 26

salev

Reaction score
I really like the Jubilees and the '77 JMP 50w Mk II Master Volume. Killer!

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0072_2.jpg
    DSC_0072_2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 614

codyfarmer

Reaction score
Good lord!! Look at those Jubilee's!!! Where do you live so I can safely watch your house and guard it while you're not home?!?!