Greenback substitute

• Thread starter vinceB
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vinceB

Reaction score
I'm looking for a speaker that is voiced similar to a vintage Greenback but has 50+ watt capability. Suggestions?:hbang:

SG~GUY

Reaction score
it doesnt exist,..

the major part of the greenback sound is it's 25 watts is over driven and distorting,..

vinceB

Reaction score
it doesnt exist,..

the major part of the greenback sound is it's 25 watts is over driven and distorting,..

A figure fifty watt amp is going to overdrive a fifty watt speaker as a fifty watt amp would overdrive two twenty-five watt speakers. I have a 1x12 combo that I want to have a little Greenback flavor.

johnfv

Reaction score
The 50w WGS Invader is quite good. I'm not saying it's *exactly* a greenback but has a very similar flavor, you can certainly push it hard with a 50W amp, perhaps too hard :)

mtm105

Reaction score
I've had both WGS Reaper HP and Invader.

Invader is on the brighter side, closer to a V30. Reaper HP a little darker, quieter woody tone.

I never really broke either speaker in. I play super low volumes at home. Sold Cab for used EVH 5150 III Cab.

I tired of mixing speakers. Someone else can benefit from Cab at right price. It made it to Oh Canada! last week...

SG~GUY

Reaction score
not like a 100watt head over driving 4-25watt speakers

that's there magic!

the celestion 12-65 is supposed to be a higher wattage greenback,...don't sound like it to me thou!

or any of the other supposed higher wattage knock off's

The 50w WGS Invader is quite good. I'm not saying it's *exactly* a greenback but has a very similar flavor, you can certainly push it hard with a 50W amp, perhaps too hard :)

vinceB

Reaction score
I'm not expecting it to sound exactly like a greenback I just want some of that bite.

Salsg

Reaction score
Eminence makes several GB flavores speakers that sound good and are affordable too.