Guess Who's Back? (...it ain't Slim Shady!)

• Thread starter Angrycolon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Angrycolon

Reaction score
I've played in rock cover bands since the age of 15. In 1977 I bought my 1st JMP 50-watt and 1960A Cab ...new. Ego and gigs got bigger and a few years later I bought a second used matching 1977 Marshall JMP and cab running them both on stage in different configurations. . In the 90's, I put everything in road cases and I've played those amps relentlessly until I hit my 60s. Following all the old timers like myself, I stored away the "big rig" and began looking for easy-to-carry alternatives. Never selling anything, I've accumulated Orange, Egnater, Blackstar, Fender, and Mesa combo amps and used modeling rigs. I use them at gigs, and they do the job...for over 8 years now. Then it hit me. Why do I own two '77 Marshall 2203 JMPs and let them sit in storage?! Alzheimers? Brain rot? Head injury? Plain ass lazy? No, just stupidity and following the crowd. I decided to pull the Marshall with the John Sykes Mod by JFA Mods w/volume boost. I didn't pull the 4x12 cab, but opted for my closed-back Avatar 2x12 cab. Just plugging straight to the amp and man....it was the thrill I didn't even know I missed!!! The sound that kept me playing all these years was right there in front of me all along. I totally ripped my pedal board down to 6-7 essential pedals and re-mounted them on a very small board. I bought a JJ Rocket Archer a few years ago and it never sounded good on any of the combo's. My God, it compliments the JMP perfectly. Instead of Wednesday's rehearsal feeling like a drag, I can't wait to get to practice. I guess there is a moral to all this but I'm not smart enough to put it in words. I'll just say, "Keep rocking gang!" See my new old rig packed and ready to go.:hbang:

Attachments

• 20231104_145042.jpg
    20231104_145042.jpg
    707 KB · Views: 36

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I've played in rock cover bands since the age of 15. In 1977 I bought my 1st JMP 50-watt and 1960A Cab ...new. Ego and gigs got bigger and a few years later I bought a second used matching 1977 Marshall JMP and cab running them both on stage in different configurations. . In the 90's, I put everything in road cases and I've played those amps relentlessly until I hit my 60s. Following all the old timers like myself, I stored away the "big rig" and began looking for easy-to-carry alternatives. Never selling anything, I've accumulated Orange, Egnater, Blackstar, Fender, and Mesa combo amps and used modeling rigs. I use them at gigs, and they do the job...for over 8 years now. Then it hit me. Why do I own two '77 Marshall 2203 JMPs and let them sit in storage?! Alzheimers? Brain rot? Head injury? Plain ass lazy? No, just stupidity and following the crowd. I decided to pull the Marshall with the John Sykes Mod by JFA Mods w/volume boost. I didn't pull the 4x12 cab, but opted for my closed-back Avatar 2x12 cab. Just plugging straight to the amp and man....it was the thrill I didn't even know I missed!!! The sound that kept me playing all these years was right there in front of me all along. I totally ripped my pedal board down to 6-7 essential pedals and re-mounted them on a very small board. I bought a JJ Rocket Archer a few years ago and it never sounded good on any of the combo's. My God, it compliments the JMP perfectly. Instead of Wednesday's rehearsal feeling like a drag, I can't wait to get to practice. I guess there is a moral to all this but I'm not smart enough to put it in words. I'll just say, "Keep rocking gang!" See my new old rig packed and ready to go.:hbang:
Good luck lugging that around in your '60's. I would happily go back to my big rigs, but I would need roadies. 😕

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
What would you need help with? Putting a 2x12 into the back of a car?
Yep. Once you have done your back in, it doesn't take much to do it in again.
Weight and size is the worst combination. All of my gear is now a "two man" lift.
Apart from the One watters and Origin 5c.
Unless it's on wheels, I don't move anything on my own anymore.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Yep. Once you have done your back in, it doesn't take much to do it in again.
Weight and size is the worst combination. All of my gear is now a "two man" lift.
Apart from the One watters and Origin 5c.
Unless it's on wheels, I don't move anything on my own anymore.
That sucks, sorry to hear that.

All the more reason to never buy a combo.

You should talk to the modeling guys here—there are some killer options out there now. Just make sure you are talking to the folks who have actual experience with the stuff tho ;)

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
lumping gear is all about body mechanics...

IMO, many x's big gear is easier to lump around, because when it comes to loading/unloading from your vehicle, you can use pivot points. Lean the cab against the vehicle & use the point of contact against the vehicle as a pivot point & lift out the bottom & slide it up as you pull out, then push in as the cab levels out horizontally.

The taller the cab, the easier.

Especially w/ bass, bass combos are short & fat cubes & there is no pivot point, it's pure lift & an awkward lift, as the cubical shape puts some weight away from your body.

But, yeah combo amp's in general are heavy, because, not only do you have the speaker magnets to lift, now you have a couple transformers in the head to add. I'd rather have magnets & trans' separate, for less weight between multiple cab's, than trying to lump one cab that has them all combined into one...

I guess if you have a 20 watt combo, w/ a single speaker, it might not be so bad, but, once you get 50 watt & a pair of speakers, good luck on that back issue...

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
Congratulations on getting out your JMP.
Amazing that you still have it.

My first JMP Marshall half-stack was sold many years ago, to help finance my honeymoon.

I’ve had issues bonding with smaller amps. I used my Marshall 2187 combo with my old band about a month ago. Just can’t beat that sound.

IMG_1132.jpeg

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Congratulations on getting out your JMP.
Amazing that you still have it.

My first JMP Marshall half-stack was sold many years ago, to help finance my honeymoon.

I’ve had issues bonding with smaller amps. I used my Marshall 2187 combo with my old band about a month ago. Just can’t beat that sound.

View attachment 139697
Nice Goldie Deluxe! What year?

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
That sucks, sorry to hear that.

All the more reason to never buy a combo.

You should talk to the modeling guys here—there are some killer options out there now. Just make sure you are talking to the folks who have actual experience with the stuff tho ;)
As you can see, too late for the no combos option :(. I've also added a Bluesbreaker and two DSL402's since this photo. I've put wheels on everything that needs to move and my current band rehearse in my studio, so no transport issues there. Gigs, however will need some thought. I'm not going down the modeller route. Tried a Quad Cortex and an AxeFX, okay but a bit like watching a football game on a big screen, when not in HD.
full