• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Guitar Polish?

• Thread starter rmlevasseur
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rmlevasseur

Reaction score
Does anybody use this stuff on their guitar bodies or is it all just snake oil? I haven't actually used a polish or wax on my guitars in decades, but I'm bored and thought I might spend some time gleaming everything up this weekend. Any recommendations?

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I use the Gibson Pump Polish on all my guitars and it works great! keeps them looking new.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the Dunlop kit. I rarely wax though as it gets sticky on Gibsons nitro especially if over used but lemon oil dilute and carnauba is all they are. Fretboard cleaner once a year too.

Coronado

Reaction score
I use the Dunlop kit. I rarely wax though as it gets sticky on Gibsons nitro especially if over used but lemon oil dilute and carnauba is all they are. Fretboard cleaner once a year too.

+1. Every so often I will hit my guitars up with the Dunlop kit, and once a year (or so) I will clean the fretboard and frets.

ricksconnected

Reaction score
i use Vituoso polish. good stuff.
i also use naptha to clean my boards and
kyser oil to condition them. once a yr.
every season change on my boards
here in the south. well twice a yr is more
like it. extreme summer and extreme winter
if im currently using the guitar. a lot of my
guitars are "sunday drivers" so they pretty
much live in their cases in another location.

Bownse

Reaction score
I use a basic carnauba wax. Very small amount, soft deep pile cotton terry cloth for application. Clean soft etc. terry to buff. Does not leave it "sticky".

No polishes because those include abrasives which attack the finish to strip away oxidation. Over time, it can even strip paint. I had a friend who ended up seeing the the fiberglass through the paint of his vintage 'Vette because of obsessive polishing.

Fret board? Like someone else noted elsewhere, lemon oil is mineral oil with citric acid added. Just go to the straight mineral oil instead. About $6 for a pint at Bed Bath and Beyond. It will last for about ever.

Last edited:

rmlevasseur

Reaction score
I do treat my boards twice a year. Naphtha and Dunlop oil. I'm not looking to clean my guitars so much as make them shine a little more.

Murray

Reaction score
+1 for Virtuoso polish & cleaner. Particularly on nitrocellulose finishes. Little bit goes a long way.

ricksconnected

Reaction score
the big thing is if/when you go to have paint repair done, tell
the painter that you polish your guitars. if he paints it and
fish eyes show up, you will be charged twice if its not his
fault. requires a whole new sand, buff and repaint and final buff.

Nudge68

Reaction score
Depends on the finish. Bare timber depends on the type, but wax typically does job. Poly gets spit n elbow grease :yesway:

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Dull 'em down I say :naughty:

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 9
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 8

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Does anybody use this stuff on their guitar bodies or is it all just snake oil? I haven't actually used a polish or wax on my guitars in decades, but I'm bored and thought I might spend some time gleaming everything up this weekend. Any recommendations?

The best one was
Miro-glaze plastic cleaner
Miro glaze plastic polish
Which was sold as:
Gurian guitar cleaner and Gurian Guitar Polish...

But after Miro Glaze found out about it, Gurian had to stop selling it.
(so the story goes)

k2-_54328aee-83c8-4f60-8469-18f95ea33cb7.v1.jpg

Now sold as: ""Meguiar's..."

Bownse

Reaction score
^That's an idea.

I've used it for years on motorcycle windshields because it cleans them up very well without stripping the hard coating that most have on the plastic.

I'd use the same multi-step method, too. Clean first with a damp soft cloth. Any hard gunk needs a little soak first to soften it up (again, damp not wet). Then wipe with a dry soft cloth. Then the cleaner (new soft cloth) followed by the polish (yet another new soft cloth). Wipe (back and forth) in one direction (not in circles) to avoid swirls in the finish.

Steeveejay

Reaction score
Hey ! Have any of you guy's tried scuffing the polly finish off the back of your neck ?
I dont actually mean OFF , i just scuff the gloss off lightly with 2000 grade wet n dry ..
Anyone who uses their entire fretboard will freak out about how fast this makes it.
Dont do this on collectible or vintage !!
I have a Charvette which i call my lab rat , and this one thing makes it faster than #$%*in Wyatt Earp !!

ricksconnected

Reaction score
Hey ! Have any of you guy's tried scuffing the polly finish off the back of your neck ?
I dont actually mean OFF , i just scuff the gloss off lightly with 2000 grade wet n dry ..
Anyone who uses their entire fretboard will freak out about how fast this makes it.
Dont do this on collectible or vintage !!
I have a Charvette which i call my lab rat , and this one thing makes it faster than #$%*in Wyatt Earp !!

been doing this for decades.