• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Guv'nor - Broken Input Jack

• Thread starter gard0040
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gard0040

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am fixing a Guv'nor effect pedal (Black version) with a broken input jack and I am having trouble finding the correct jack to use. Any one have any ideas? Thank you!

gard0040

Reaction score
Thanks Sryker59...I checked out the site, but didn't see anything that looked quite right. I need a 9-pin PC connection jack, I have seen some, specifically the Fender amp jack, on other sites, I am just not sure sure what is the right one. I have not seen anything listed as a Marshall jack that looks remotely similar. I have e-mailed Marshall, but still have not heard anything. I thought someone here may have gone through a similar situation. Thanks for the help!

BYoung

Reaction score
Hey Gard,
I had to replace mine too and I think I got the new inputs from either stewmac.com, or Guitar Center. Not sure where you're located, but you might also try "Starving Musicians" on Shattuck Ave, Berkeley, CA. These guys have all kinds of stuff.
Good luck.

BYoung

Reaction score
I can't believe it, I remember where I got the inputs!!!! There is a repair shop in San Francisco, CA called "Guitronics". Hal, who owns the place is a Marshall genius. He rebuilt my MkII 50W Lead combo and boosted the gain for me after I blew it up. Anyway, Hal usually has a good supply of these inputs on hand.

Hawkwind

Reaction score
I can't believe it, I remember where I got the inputs!!!! There is a repair shop in San Francisco, CA called "Guitronics". Hal, who owns the place is a Marshall genius. He rebuilt my MkII 50W Lead combo and boosted the gain for me after I blew it up. Anyway, Hal usually has a good supply of these inputs on hand.

I posted a similar thread like this here on this forum but i found this thread.

I need a jack like this. I checked his website but no emailadress. It's really expensive to call to the US from Sweden so maybee someone here knowes if he have an emailadress or maybee can help me in any way?

Best regards Kristoffer

msmith40

Reaction score
You need Fender part# 0059922000 - jack phone stereo 6.5mm
I found them on Ebay, and they're a perfect replacement!

The originall Marshall jacks appear to bakelite (I think).....the Fender jacks seem to be more durable.

They cost approx. $8.00 apiece, plus shipping.

If you find them cheaper, let me know.

msmith40

thetragichero

Reaction score
why do you need an 8$+ jack?
spend two bucks and get a switchcraft

marshallguvnor.gif

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schematics/audio/pictures/marshallguvnor.gif

msmith40

Reaction score
The output/input jacks (9-pin low-profile) are connected directly to the circuit board, and they have a tendency to break.

Replacement jacks have been hard to find......that's why we have this thread.

.....and Switchcraft doesn't make one.

The Ebay seller: http://myworld.ebay.com/musicpartsguru/

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

msmith40

Reaction score
Because Switchcraft does not make a low-profile, 9-pin, stereo, 6.5mm jack.

(Ooops! Double-post.)

Last edited:

thetragichero

Reaction score
not seeing the schematic on my phone, but i don't believe any of the jacks had any more than 3 pins
if you're in there already, i would suggest NOT getting another board-mounted jack... no reason to put anymore stress on the circuit board
just my two cents

msmith40

Reaction score
1) The jacks are board-mounted.
2) 9-pins are needed.
3) There's no room in there for a non-mounted jack.

The 1st pic is the original (broken) jack.
The entire 'neck' (threaded section), snapped off from booth of the jacks.
You can see traces of the glue I used to repair it.....

The 2nd pic shows 2 sets of the 9 holes for each jack.

Last edited:

thetragichero

Reaction score
there's only three connections from the jack to the circuit
on the left: four pins connected by trace, two pins connected by another trace, one other pin connected, and two pins for mounting purposes
on the right: two sets of two are connected by a trace, and three of the pins are for mounting to the board

Jack, 1/4 in. Stereo Switchcraft #12B
get that, connect to to the board with wires
QED

i feel like board-mounted jacks/pots put too much stress on the board that should be avoided. plus it's a lot easier to service when they're connected by wires

msmith40

Reaction score
thetragichero says:
-----------------------------------------------------

That jack won't fit inside the unit.

And keep in mind that one of those inputs is actually an FX Send/Return.

Looking at the circuit board as shown in this pic:
Input, Loop, +9vDC, Output (still intact)

The 2 broken jacks were Input and Loop.

Last edited:

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
there's only three connections from the jack to the circuit
on the left: four pins connected by trace, two pins connected by another trace, one other pin connected, and two pins for mounting purposes
on the right: two sets of two are connected by a trace, and three of the pins are for mounting to the board

QED

i feel like board-mounted jacks/pots put too much stress on the board that should be avoided. plus it's a lot easier to service when they're connected by wires

Its a bit more work ! But you will never have this problem again .........:dude:
Solid advice !!

msmith40

Reaction score
Methinks some of you have never been inside the old Guv'nor.......it's quite crowded.
Trying to fit the Switchcraft jack (or any standard stereo inpit jack) into such a confined space would probably damage the circuit board.

As to whether all 9 pins are necessary.........I don't know.
Keep in mind that this unit has an FX Loop jack, so maybe that's why a 9-pin jack is used...........maybe.

(I had to replace the Input and Loop jacks.....both are 9-pins.)

If only 3 pins were sufficient, then I think that Analogman (whom I'd contacted years ago) would have suggested using a 3 pin low profile stereo jack. It seems that others had contacted him with the same 'broken input jack' problem. He also expressed frustration at the poor quality of the original 9 pin jacks in this unit, as well as his attempts at cobbling together a replacement jack which he felt was too much of a pain in the ass.

Take a look at these pix, and you'll clearly see why a low-profile, circuit-board input jack is needed.

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

Guvnor001.jpg

Thanks!

msmith40

Reaction score
It's quite crowded inside the original Guv'nor.
Trying to fit the Switchcraft jack (or any standard stereo input jack) into such a confined space would probably damage the circuit board.

As to whether all 9 pins are necessary.........I don't know.
Keep in mind that this unit has an FX Loop jack, so maybe that's why a 9-pin jack is used...........maybe.

(I had to replace both the Input and Loop jacks.....and both are 9-pins.)

If only 3 pins were sufficient, then I think that Analogman (whom I'd contacted years ago) would have suggested using a 3 pin low profile stereo jack. It seems that others had contacted him with the same 'broken input jack' problem. He also expressed frustration at the poor quality of the original 9 pin jacks in this unit, as well as his attempts at cobbling together a replacement jack which he felt was too much of a pain in the ass.

Take a look at these pix, and you'll clearly see why a low-profile, circuit-board input jack is needed.

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

Latest posts