Hacking

• Thread starter axe4me
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
So there's a problem with the oil companies.........raise prices.

Now the meat industry has a problem with hacking..............raise prices.

Pizza dough has a wheat problem.......raise prices.......sorry, I don't think there was hacking.

You have a downturn in income........problems making ends meet.

You're on your own.

You may get a grant.........pay for others problems.

Sound familiar?

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
So there's a problem with the oil companies.........raise prices.

Now the meat industry has a problem with hacking..............raise prices.

Pizza dough has a wheat problem.......raise prices.......sorry, I don't think there was hacking.

You have a downturn in income........problems making ends meet.

You're on your own.

You may get a grant.........pay for others problems.

Sound familiar?
I understand.

Garrett

Reaction score
No, it's not that simple. This has been going on for several years but is getting worse as of late.

The hacking is far more widespread than many people realize.

Our company was hacked last year, same crap, everything encrypted and held hostage.

It's a professional group and likely state supported, and the state likely gets a cut of the ransom as well.

Adieu

Reaction score
If you mean the Russians or the Chinese, then nah, they're not topping up the state coffers... some might be under the protection of high officials and paying those off, some might be a self-funded digital branch of their security services... but they're not feeding their countries that way

If you meant something like Iran or North Korea, though, those might actually be doing just that

LRT#1

Reaction score
This tread wont last long

Edit

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
No, it's not that simple. This has been going on for several years but is getting worse as of late.

The hacking is far more widespread than many people realize.

Our company was hacked last year, same crap, everything encrypted and held hostage.

It's a professional group and likely state supported, and the state likely gets a cut of the ransom as well.

The price of the ransomware ransom says your company doesn't see technology infrastructure as a secondary requirement to owning a business. If they did they would at least pay for periodic security audits and follow the recommendations asap. It's not funny when your company gets hacked and the financial and personal records of your entire customer base gets released to the public on the Internet. If that happens, chapter 11 is your next option because the lawsuits will break you if loss of business doesn't. Man, some of the stories I could tell about how little regard many companies have for technology and security, until they get hacked - large and small businesses alike, all have the same types of requirements. That's when we say, "well yeah we told you that you needed to invest in spam filters and network monitoring tools 3 years ago. In fact, we can't understand how you made it this far, seeing as half of your staff are still running PC's with Windows XP SP1. Also, because those PC's are breaking down, your employees have been bringing in their own computers and printers from home so they can get their work done". Etc., etc., etc.

:applause:

Last edited:

Garrett

Reaction score
If you mean the Russians or the Chinese, then nah, they're not topping up the state coffers... some might be under the protection of high officials and paying those off, some might be a self-funded digital branch of their security services... but they're not feeding their countries that way

If you meant something like Iran or North Korea, though, those might actually be doing just that

Many of the attacks, as reported, originated in Russia.

The hacks employed are not simplistic in nature, Google them. To think it's simply a lack of good IT may be true for some but not all. Our company had very tight IT control as we also sell weapons grade lasers to the US military.

Of course you don't feed a country this way, but you pay off the officials that are protecting you.

These attacks are not just about holding a company hostage, it's the danger of losing intellectual property as well.

AdrianDSL

Reaction score
Quite a few high profile hacks ending in TB of data being encrypted originated between a keyboard and a chair. So many imbeciles falling for phishing and scam it's not even funny anymore. Firewall /IDS / IPS / content filters aside, no matter how many security awareness courses you're running on a regular basis, there's always the odd ID10t infecting his/her own PC and spreading the virus throughout the network between 2 coffee sips on a Monday morning. ALWAYS! And there's at least half a dozen excuses for doing just that.
People aren't held accountable for their stupid actions, these days it's all left to the lawyers and the insurance company. The typical "make it someone else's problem" approach.
No mercy for the morons falling for it.

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
I'm a cynical bastard.

IMO, everyone is really on their own.

Survive means, "watch yer ass".