• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

handbuilt 212 cab to Marshall specs

• Thread starter StratMonster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StratMonster

Reaction score
Project 212 cab hand built to Marshall specs. Just needs tolex,wiring,grill cloth and handles/feet.
Speakers are 200 watts 4 Ohm. So I will wire them in series and set my JCM 900 head to 8 Ohm...but..Thinking tomorrow is another day

photo3.jpg

StratMonster

Reaction score
No Thrawn,

I was going to throw them in there thinking 200 watts would be better.....WRONG.

I have 2 - 50 watt Emenince speakers that are going in. Tonight the jacks and wiring, tomorrow the tolex and grill cloth.

I'll post pics when I "get er' done"

StratMonster

Reaction score
photo-1.jpg

Installed 2 x 50 Watt Eminence speakers. All thats left is to wire it up, add feet and about 4 more inches of piping!...

HumanJHawkins

Reaction score
<cut>I will wire them in series and set my JCM 900 head to 8 Ohm...<cut>

I know you won't have any choice with the 4-ohm speakers, but if your other speakers allow it, consider using parallel wiring. If something goes badly wrong with a series circuit, you would be left with zero load on your amp and could burn out a transformer.

Something going real bad in a parallel wiring just drops the impedance to 1/2, which is much more survivable... As long as you notice it and fix it.

Cheers either way.

StratMonster

Reaction score
Good idea HH..

I completed it and took it to rehearsal tonight and it sounds amazing. But having somewhat of a safety net with parallel wiring.

Les Moore

Reaction score
Never knew that about serial. Damn, why do we have to learn something new every day?! Now I have to check my cabs cause I can´t remember how they´re set up.
Really though, great info:)

HumanJHawkins

Reaction score
Never knew that about serial. Damn, why do we have to learn something new every day?! Now I have to check my cabs cause I can´t remember how they´re set up.
Really though, great info:)

I'm not sure it's that big of deal if you need an ohm rating that can only be achieved with a pure series circuit. But when there is a choice, might as well go with parallel.

If you do need a pure series circuit, just make extra sure all of the connections are good and can't be vibrated loose. Pretty much the only things that would break the circuit are a wire falling off, or some sort of severe speaker coil meltdown.

But someone could also kick the cable out of the back of the cab... None of these things are common enough to lose sleep over.

StratMonster

Reaction score
true. nothing is ever full proof. I made sure there were no cold solder joints and I piled the solder on. I will post a finished pic. For my first handbuilt cab I think it came out great. My band mates were pretty amazed at the cab and the sound. (as was I)...lol