Has anyone ever made/tried Les Paul nickel cover with a flat pole strat type pickup in your Lester?

• Thread starter Whatwhatringrang
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Whatwhatringrang

Reaction score
Anyone try this kinda thing ?

I love the Custombuckers in one of my les Paul. I think they are just great . However being a weirdo i like single coil more for about everything . My amps are more voiced torwards them .

I have some old Flat pole 50’s 60 pickups . If I were to put in Humbucker case right I would love to try. Has anyone done this and made These by modifying the humbucker case? I would need to order some new humbcu cases. There was video on youtube of someone who did this successfully and I need watch again.

As it would make the guitar more versatile most likely for me. I have some real hot old flat poles mid 50s thru 63 pickups out champ lapsteels. Also the holes line up and it move he pickup mags back past the 24 fret harmonic. Which is something I like . I just would need to properly solder in a nickle humbucker case and possibly rewire . Maybe change pickup switch so in mid they are in series like an old duo sonic. As I love that sound.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
That is not something I would have thought of doing. Sounds like an interesting project.

Good luck with it!

RLW59

Reaction score
Lots of late '60s/early '70s Japanese guitars had single coils under humbucker covers:
y9rlhtv6vled6jklo8uq.jpg

Lollar has Tele single coils in humbucker covers, called the Novel T set.

Whatwhatringrang

Reaction score
Thanks strummer Joe . I might try and figure it out . I am tempted and have been thinking about it.

I also a have a couple purple wire strong testing old 63/64 jag pickups also that are possible to try. I am gonna try to find the video on YouTube where this guy did it and explains how he did this. Actually seemed to work nicely if I remember for him. Involves using some cutting tools to fashion it in the nickel case

The guitar is really special to me as a it seems to not resonate boomy loud in the low freq‘s but really growls in the mids and top. I played a bunch and this one the only one that was like this one awhile back. The rest felt like they where rang louder but really it was just bass freq low end on them not so much mid highs.

RLW59

That’s cool . I did not know that about those Japanese guitars doing that.

Latest posts