Has Anyone Tried 6550's or KT88's in an Origin 20C

• Thread starter Pistons&Petrol
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
I have used KT66s and 6L6GC in my 2525 in addition to 6CA7 which I use almost all the time, and various EL34s. They did all make a difference in tone&feel in that amp. I thought the KT66 in the mini Jubilee made it sound more vintage plexi and less modern.

Oh and the swaps all worked no problem at all. No red plating. No smoke. No un expected weird sounds. No no sound. Nothing of that sort at all.

South Park

Reaction score
These power tubes have different power curves . And preamp circuit is designed for that curve . So by swapping power tubes it is a crap shoot what you will get

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
YES!!!!

That's what I'm talking about. I have a project built engine/big turbo/standalone ECU Fiat 124 (Miata with a nose job) at the moment that's getting a bigger engine swap after this upcoming season is finished.

If you're bored, take a look:

https://youtube.com/c/pistonspetrol

subscribed to your channel. back in Brazil I had two E36s, one black touring (NA just minor upgrades) and them a red coupe swapped to 3.0 and big ass turbo. when I've got to mexico I knew I would not have much time to build a car, so I was looking for something "almost done OEM" and I've purchased a 987 cayman s. but I sold it a few months ago because it's quite likely I'll move to another country this year and I didn't want to sell anything in a hurry.

I really like the miata platform. I thought several times in buying the miata rf (because practicality in a city that rains like hell), but in the end I went with the cayman.

When I got home I'll see your vids

Pistons&Petrol

Reaction score
These power tubes have different power curves . And preamp circuit is designed for that curve . So by swapping power tubes it is a crap shoot what you will get

I know... yes... I know. It will change the sound... thought I already covered this? I have experimented with tubes in other Marshall amps in the past. Sometimes it sounded bad, sometimes it sounded good. Just because something is engineered one way does not mean it can't be changed in a positive way.

The crapshoot part... well that's part of why I just asked. It sounds like there's been positive experiences changing tube types in the 20 watt Marshall's from those that have actual real world experience testing this out. So I'm glad I asked.

Pistons&Petrol

Reaction score
subscribed to your channel. back in Brazil I had two E36s, one black touring (NA just minor upgrades) and them a red coupe swapped to 3.0 and big ass turbo. when I've got to mexico I knew I would not have much time to build a car, so I was looking for something "almost done OEM" and I've purchased a 987 cayman s. but I sold it a few months ago because it's quite likely I'll move to another country this year and I didn't want to sell anything in a hurry.

I really like the miata platform. I thought several times in buying the miata rf (because practicality in a city that rains like hell), but in the end I went with the cayman.

When I got home I'll see your vids

I want a Porsche when I'm done messing with this car. With the amount I've put into buying and modding these things, I could have bought a good Cayman or a base 911 already :wtf:

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
I want a Porsche when I'm done messing with this car. With the amount I've put into buying and modding these things, I could have bought a good Cayman or a base 911 already :wtf:

I was going for a 997 Carrera S or 4s. But when I drove it it was too big... and I was complaining and the guy "want something smaller... I have a cayman s here". I entered and that good claustrophobic vibe only a sports cars can give you kicked in. by all means the 997 is amazing, but the cayman gives you a more "sportier" feel. try both buy which makes your heart pumps faster.

The bad thing about the cayman was: it worked too well! I mean passed that initial stage where you do all the small stuff (breaks, some cosmetics, rims & tires, battery etc) the car worked flawless all the time (very different from my E36s) and I had no fun modding and fixing it LOL. not a criticism, but I really like spending Sunday mornings tinkering with my cars.

I was day dreaming here about the possibility to be sent to Europe (I'm Brazilian, but I have a Portuguese citizenship)... I that happens I think I'm going F-type (V6SC) or R8 (V8). It's a pity that it is almost impossible to be sent to the US lately

Mars_hall_cadet

Reaction score
I tossed some 6550 in there. You have to take off the clips, but they fit and they work just fine. Far more clean headroom. Definitely adds some clarity to the amp imo. It’ll still get to the breakup if you crank the gain and master. But for a thicker fatter sounding pedal platform, 6550 are the ticket.

WoundUp

Reaction score
Personally, I'd keep the EL34's after watching this vid comparing harmonic profiles of EL34s to KT88s.

I don't know much about o-scopes but the traces he shows are vastly different. I couldn't believe how much difference there was.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tossed some 6550 in there. You have to take off the clips, but they fit and they work just fine. Far more clean headroom. Definitely adds some clarity to the amp imo. It’ll still get to the breakup if you crank the gain and master. But for a thicker fatter sounding pedal platform, 6550 are the ticket.
:welcome: to the forum.
I tried some 6550's in one of my O20's recently with similar results.
For me, KT66's are a nicer balance "for a thicker fatter sounding pedal platform" while still allowing for some good native amp overdrive.
I have 6CA7's in my other O20 - EL34's are my least favorite power tubes in these amps.

Mars_hall_cadet

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.
I tried some 6550's in one of my O20's recently with similar results.
For me, KT66's are a nicer balance "for a thicker fatter sounding pedal platform" while still allowing for some good native amp overdrive.
I have 6CA7's in my other O20 - EL34's are my least favorite power tubes in these amps.
The 6550 I’ve got are og winged c, and they’re definitely fantastic! But I also have a set of kt66 laying around too, I’ll have to give them a go!