Haze 15 problems?

• Thread starter Larry K
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BCnSTL

Reaction score
I'd be interested in hearing about what kinds of OD/Distortion pedals folks are using in front of the Haze 15.

indeedido

Reaction score
Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...
I didn't care for the head. I bought the head with the two cabs, and it was muddy to me. Also, the distortion was a bit too smooth for my taste as well, although I bet the combo with the el34s would be more to my liking. Mine also had a problem bleeding in to the clean channel. If I had the gain turned up, you could hear it ghosting into the clean. I sent it back to MF.

BCnSTL

Reaction score
It is dark and smooth, and the bottom-end can be a little tubby if you're not careful. Fair. I haven't had any issue with channel bleed.

thud33

Reaction score
BCnSTL, I have not experimented much yet with pedals, but I do like the sound of my mid-'80s TS10 tube screamer in front of the clean channel. I dial in the TS10 such that it gives just a touch of "hair", so that the result is smooth and bright with just a little bit of growl. (Of course, there are times when you want more of that classic Marshall thing on the drive channel, and for me, I don't think I would want to put any drive/gain related pedal on top of that.) I need to fool around with this a bit more. But from what I've read in other posts / reviews, the Haze 15 generally takes pedals very well.

Dawg76

Reaction score
I'd be interested in hearing about what kinds of OD/Distortion pedals folks are using in front of the Haze 15.

I picked up the Haze 15 last June and its the first amp I've had that I DON'T use an OD pedal with. I use it w/ an Avatar Traditional 2x12 loaded with Emi Texas Heat / Hellatone 30 spkrs. Love the OD channel (w/ Bright switch) alone. One very loud 15W head.

MKB

Reaction score
MKB: The loop should be pretty quiet. With all controls at min, switching in the loop at the back (nothing plugged in to loop) will make a difference - a slight increase in hiss the most noticable part, but still a very low level indeed. This is unavoidable as the effects loop has to take the 40V preamp signal, drop it to a guitar pedal level and then all the way back up again to 40V.

If you are getting more than this when trying this test, please refer it back to a service centre.

JamesM
JamesM, thanks for the tip. I was able to perform the CATS-00163 capacitor/resistor replacement that is supposed to stop the channel popping, this also had the effect of dropping the noise level of the effects in this amp to almost nothing. When the effects loop is switched in and out, now the difference can barely be heard even with my ear against the speaker.

I noticed several of the replaced resistors were in the effects loop and all increased the loading of the effects loop and card. I assume this was the reason for the noise reduction.

I haven't seen the schematic for a Haze 15, but it is possible that if the loading resistors in the effects loop are the same as the original values in the Haze 40, that could be a cause of effects loop noise.

drummer44

Reaction score
JamesM, thanks for the tip. I was able to perform the CATS-00163 capacitor/resistor replacement that is supposed to stop the channel popping, this also had the effect of dropping the noise level of the effects in this amp to almost nothing. When the effects loop is switched in and out, now the difference can barely be heard even with my ear against the speaker.

I noticed several of the replaced resistors were in the effects loop and all increased the loading of the effects loop and card. I assume this was the reason for the noise reduction.

I haven't seen the schematic for a Haze 15, but it is possible that if the loading resistors in the effects loop are the same as the original values in the Haze 40, that could be a cause of effects loop noise.

MKB, interesting post.

JamesM, wonder if you could comment on MKB's speculation about the Haze 15 effects loop noise?

-D44

ptate

Reaction score
Don't know whether anyone else had had this problem, but my Haze 15 head has just ditched most of it's volume...! I'm having to max it out on either channel to get enough volume to hear it in a bedroom..!!!!!!!! :(

Started a few days ago, when I noticed it getting a bit "scratchy" on the sound quality. Turned it up a bit to check, then it started to get muffled and took a slow decline to the point where it has to be driven flat out to hear anything.

Not bothering checking it out myself, so I'll take it back to the shop tomorrow. They can get it back to Marshall for a check up. It's got plenty of warranty left, so it's not an issue.

:dude::rock::headbanger::hippie:

jamesm

Reaction score
MKB, interesting post.

JamesM, wonder if you could comment on MKB's speculation about the Haze 15 effects loop noise?

-D44

Hi,

Only just noticed this thread after returning from a bit of a break.

The 15 and 40 have different effects circuits, so it is a bit more complicated than just copying one to the other I'm afraid. I will have a look at this some time. The values are a bit interdependent so that the volume of the amp does not change when the effects are enabled / disabled, so some experimentation would be required.

Is the noise really more than you get from an equivalent pedal plugged into the front of the amp?

JamesM

jamesm

Reaction score
Volume of Haze 15 vs AVT100

I think it is fair to say that an AVT100 will be louder than a Haze 15 - it just has more power.

That saying, it is common for solid state amplifiers to be run clean, with all the distortion coming from the preamp, and for valve amps to be run dirty, or at least a little gritty, because the onset of distortion is less harsh. For this reason valve amps always seem to punch above their weight.

I have used a 15 in a 300 seat venue, and it only went through the PA for solos. I was playing pretty dirty at the time.

If you want loud and clean, then you may need more power. If you want loud and a bit (or a lot) dirt, then the Haze 15 can do that.

All of this is subjective of course, so I recommend that you find yourself one to have a go on, because my definition of loud might not be yours!

I hope this helps.

Larry K

Reaction score
My band just got signed to a contrat to play in Branson, MO (2 weeks in Branson then 2 weeks on tour, back and forth like this for a year) Really think I need this amp now as everything will be run through the sound system.

Larry K

jimirayyng

Reaction score
Just picked up my haze 15 head this afternoon. let me just say this first, i have been a marshall user since 1984 and have used and owned many 100/50 watt heads, jcm 800's,2000's, jmp's and reissue 1959HW etc.. this little head sounds great almost like a cranked plexi , I brought it to play at home mainly with a strat were i dont have the luxury of dragging 4x12's out of the garage and cranking 100watt heads up loud. i have been running it through a jcm 900 2x12 cab at 8 ohms, and the overdriven channel sounds very close to the 100watt plexi with a dunlop fuzz(its more of a vinatge type sound than say the jcm2000 lead channel) the clean channel is nice and glassy as well. I am really tempted to take it to a rehearsal and mike it up it sounds so good. if it is reliable after a while I may gig with it, the effects are great although I really only ever use a delay. so far i am really impressed with amp, have not tried it with humbuckers yet (ibanez rg's etc) but I suspect the haze sound will suit my strat sound better. just played this amp for 4 hours straight, again, so far very impressed.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I cannot understand how I missed this thread!

I am truly sorry to hear some users with difficulties, especially since I have had ZERO problems with my MHZ15. Wait - There was one time I got some sort of wicked weird popping when I adjusted the volume on my LP, but it never happened again.

I do have to agree with jimiray that his does have classic Marshall sound in so many different ways! I tried my modded DS-1 in front of it for a bit, but my tone doesn't really require it yet. I have maybe a couple songs I do that might need it, but the tube distortion is the way I wanna sound. I use mine thru a modded 1960a/b full stack.

I wonder how the others in this thread have fared as far as their Haze 15 problems? It would be nice for an update, especially since I see there may be a couple repair mods available. So far I have experienced nothing that would make me leery of this amp, the lack of an FX loop is a bummer, but I will bet there is someone here who might offer to help design one for me. I just got the schematics for it the other day, but nothing yet as far as the repair mods...

Anyway, glad you are lovin' yours jimiray, I am certainly lovin' mine!

james1100

Reaction score
I have had my Haze 15 for about 9 months now with no problems at all.
I'm using two 1x12 speakers but would love to hear it with a 4x12.

I am lovin' mine as well.

Keefoman

Reaction score
I've had the Haze 15 for a year now, and no problems with it, and it sounds really good. I've got a Ceriatone JTM 45 clone as my main amp, but actually uses the two Haze cabs instead of my Silver jubilee cab. I also still play the Haze regularly both live and at home. The cabs were the biggest surprise. The Marquee elements play really good.

Wildriff

Reaction score
I found this site by accident and have loved reading all the Marshall history and stories the members have posted. I've owned most Marshall's that have been made over the years, well at least all the tube heads. I'm not much of a fan of transistor amps. I wish I had some of them now, especially the 2 Jubilee 50 watts I ran in stereo that was an awesome rig. Who would have thought all those years ago they would be worth what they are now. Anyways I got hooked on a Rivera TBRS-2 rack amp that was very British sounding and used it for years but the weight became to much to lug around or at least my bones told me so. After I sold the Rivera a year or so ago I tried out a ton of amps. I thought for a while a Soldano was the answer but it had it's limitations. The more amps I tried the more depressed I got everything I tried was geared to the new style of playing too much on distortion to little on tone. I always love the sound of Robin Trower and Frank Marinos gear and was getting depressed that perhaps I was going to have to lay out some big bucks for big gear to get the big sound again. Then I came on the Haze 40 and WHAM there it was. Classic tone, the right amount of harmonic sustain, pick attack sensitive and small. I mean how cool is that.
After taking it home and trying it out for a week I was convinced this would do the job perfectly. I've had it a month now and it's worked perfect. No pops, no weird issues at all. The effects are cool but not being switchable between them by pedal board is a waste of time. I use the delay some and the rest is analog floor pedals. The only gripe I have and it's a small one is that the Haze 40 doesn't allow for extension cabs to be hooked up to it. it's either use the 8 or 16 ohm output but not both. That sucks cause I have a really wonderful sounding closed back 1x12 with a vintage H&H speaker that sounds absolutely wonderful in sequence with the on board speaker. Yeah I tried it.Don't tell Marshall ok.
So I'm thinking don't be afraid of this amp at all, hell in fact if your worried about down time buy 2. 2 of them are cheaper than 1 head and sound just as good. It's good to have a back-up plan just in case but so far I'm not seeing any issues that worry me.
If anyone know how my H&H can be worked into the chain let me know.
Thanx Wildriff

Gear way to much to list.

Last edited:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't there a 4-switch pedal available for the MHZ40?
Also, it should be easy to wire an additional 16 ohm output on the back of your unit...

Wildriff

Reaction score
Thanx for the reply My understanding though I haven't seen one yet, is that the 4 button pedal still will not let you scroll through the effects on the fly. I'll have to check into what you say about putting an extra 16 ohm output in. I'm not a techie so I ask lol. Once again thanx.

Keefoman

Reaction score
I found this site by accident and have loved reading all the Marshall history and stories the members have posted. I've owned most Marshall's that have been made over the years, well at least all the tube heads. I'm not much of a fan of transistor amps. I wish I had some of them now, especially the 2 Jubilee 50 watts I ran in stereo that was an awesome rig. Who would have thought all those years ago they would be worth what they are now. Anyways I got hooked on a Rivera TBRS-2 rack amp that was very British sounding and used it for years but the weight became to much to lug around or at least my bones told me so. After I sold the Rivera a year or so ago I tried out a ton of amps. I thought for a while a Soldano was the answer but it had it's limitations. The more amps I tried the more depressed I got everything I tried was geared to the new style of playing too much on distortion to little on tone. I always love the sound of Robin Trower and Frank Marinos gear and was getting depressed that perhaps I was going to have to lay out some big bucks for big gear to get the big sound again. Then I came on the Haze 40 and WHAM there it was. Classic tone, the right amount of harmonic sustain, pick attack sensitive and small. I mean how cool is that.
After taking it home and trying it out for a week I was convinced this would do the job perfectly. I've had it a month now and it's worked perfect. No pops, no weird issues at all. The effects are cool but not being switchable between them by pedal board is a waste of time. I use the delay some and the rest is analog floor pedals. The only gripe I have and it's a small one is that the Haze 40 doesn't allow for extension cabs to be hooked up to it. it's either use the 8 or 16 ohm output but not both. That sucks cause I have a really wonderful sounding closed back 1x12 with a vintage H&H speaker that sounds absolutely wonderful in sequence with the on board speaker. Yeah I tried it.Don't tell Marshall ok.
So I'm thinking don't be afraid of this amp at all, hell in fact if your worried about down time buy 2. 2 of them are cheaper than 1 head and sound just as good. It's good to have a back-up plan just in case but so far I'm not seeing any issues that worry me.
If anyone know how my H&H can be worked into the chain let me know.
Thanx Wildriff

Gear way to much to list.

Nice to hear you say this. I feel the Haze series have gotten way too much banging here and elsewhere on the internet, when fact is that this series are closer to the real Marshalls than anything, at least from the early 800's. and surely any "modern" Marshall. They're fairly cheap, and I guess that's the problem... Cheap can't be good...