Haze 40 combo

• Thread starter spikei
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MKB

Reaction score
Another thing to check on; make sure you have the amp good and warm (say after 2 hours or so of use) before you determine if you need the caps replaced. Mine didn't pop when it was cold, but popped badly after a few hours of use. This makes sense from a technical perspective in that capacitor leakage goes up with increased temperature. Now that I've done the mod to mine, it does not pop at all even after 4 hours of use.

There's another way to see if your amp has the modification, but it involves removing the back panel and looking at the circuit board. Your amp has had the resistor part of the modification if it has the following values on the board:

R90 = 1M
R100 = 220K
R101 = 1M

I haven't seen the replacement capacitors in Marshall's mod kit, so I don't know what they look like.

Also, the schematic I've seen of the Haze 40 does not have the revised values on it.

gastoon

Reaction score
i have the same problem.... please can you send me the link o the document, or the site where i can buy the kit...
by mp or mail
please help me

Last edited:

jamesm

Reaction score
I recommend that you contact Marshall directly. If you have any problems, you can send me a message, but be warned, I only remember to check every couple of weeks!

JamesM

gjohung

Reaction score
I bought a used haze 40 from guitar center yesterday. I took it home only to find that I have this annoying channel switching noise. I am not sure what is the deal with used Marshall if warrantee is transferable or I am on my own to repair this problem. I paid $425 with 4 way switch. So I think I got pretty good deal. It sounds real good this is my second Marshall in like 20 years. So I am exited

But thus issue is annoying. Can Marshall take care of me??

gjohung

Reaction score
Last night was my first rehearsal with the Haze. And at the beginning the channel switching noise was not there. Then after about an hour it started poping. Is this an intermittent issue??

Otherwise the amp sounds great. I was struggling with a Mesa MK3 for about 6 month. It does get that Mesa tone but it was so hard to dial in good usable tone... Haze was almost just plug and play... you can tweek it but mostly it was usable. It is true that it does sound dark. I was using my PRS CE22. I will try my Fender EJ Strat to see how it works with Single Coil..

I used to own a 1/2 stack Marshall long long time ago.. 20+ years. I couldn't figure out what model it was... mid 80's JCMs?? it did have a Master Vol,, with square standby & power switch. with a round voltage selector on back. No FX loop.

gjohung

Reaction score
Something dunned on me last night. I was reminensing the cool tones that I got from the OD channel. Kind of spongy sticky tone.. I have always thought this was the Celetion speakers that did that. As a person who had love/hate relationship with Modeling amps aka Line 6, I thought the Haze sounded like a Variax Marshall model in PODTXL. Or should I say.. PODXTL sounds like Variax Marshall. But this was the real deal.

MKB

Reaction score
Last night was my first rehearsal with the Haze. And at the beginning the channel switching noise was not there. Then after about an hour it started poping. Is this an intermittent issue??
It's not intermittent, but is sometimes caused by the amp getting hot. Mine originally started popping only after a few hours of use, not with the amp cold. As I posted earlier, I am guessing this could be caused by the leaky caps getting hot, leakage in caps increases as the heat goes up.

gjohung

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight.

But how do ! get the Mod kit from Marshall. Should I take it to an amp shop to get it modded/fixed?? or is this something a handy solder can to it.

Also, there is a clipping cap mod. to make it brigher.. will this also resolve my poping issue??

gjohung

Reaction score
Yesterday, I had an outdoor instrumental outdoor gig. I love this amp. My PRS CE 22 really shined. oh BTW I had my Haze on a flight case with caster wheels. while I was not paying attention it rolled off the stage (stage was not level) and fell off! My heart almost stopped.

Well it survived and it just sounded great. So this amp can take a fall.

I am still looking for full instruction/answer on Popping noise mod.

Thank you.

gjohung

Reaction score
I got the 4 way footswitch. It confuses hell out when I do not know which channel I am on. Because it does not light up until I press on something.. I been stepping on reverb to check which channel I am on before song. am I doing something wrong??

MKB

Reaction score
I got the 4 way footswitch. It confuses hell out when I do not know which channel I am on. Because it does not light up until I press on something.. I been stepping on reverb to check which channel I am on before song. am I doing something wrong??
I don't think you are doing anything wrong necessarily, but there is a malfunction somewhere. I have the 4 button footswitch with mine, and the footswitch always lights up and stays lit, also it remembers the setup the amp was in when switched off previously. You should be able to plug the footswitch in at any time and it should light up and start working. There is a few second delay after powering up the amp before the LED's light up however.

Make sure your cord between the footswitch and amp is OK, and it is a standard tip/sleeve cord (a standard guitar cable should work fine). If it still doesn't work, make sure you have a correct Haze PEDL 10049 footswitch (Marshall makes several similar looking footswitches but for different amps). If your cord is OK and both it and the footswitch is correct, you may have a malfunction in the footswitch and/or amp.

The channel/effects switching circuit in the Haze is controlled by a microcontroller, and the footswitch communicates with the microcontroller through a 2 wire powered serial data link. I'd guess that the different Marshall footswitches are programmed differently between the different amps, so even though the footswitches look and connect the same, even the internal hardware may be the same, they are programmed differently and may not be compatible with each other.

gjohung

Reaction score
I have the genuine Haze Foot switch. I bought it as a used gear from Guitar Center. I am going to take it in. Thanks. BTW If it matters. I am color blind.

But it should display some kind of light always. I guess I am seeing the green light but only when I am pressing something as soon as I release it all the LED goes blank.. but I don't think it ever changed color on me.

gjohung

Reaction score
I got the footswitch replaced... all is well. Thank you all.

gjohung

Reaction score
I am still struggling with channel switching poping noise & Lately, even with humbucker (PRS22) I am getting proximity buzz noise.

ghj

gjohung

Reaction score
My foot switch... I noticed is weird.

Drive Channel. engage Boost..and while the Boost is on engaged Reverb and FX. and I dis-engased by hitting boost button.. all 3 goes out together. press boost again.. all 3 comes on... what goes.. is this the way it supposed to be??