Hello Marshall engineering looking for a new amp

• Thread starter Dave47857
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Unless you just invented the 'Pre-FX-Loop'.

I think you missed the whole thing. Make the foot switch like an a/b switch that plugs into the fs jack then the channel switch would be an a/b switcher and channel switch. Run an out put for the a/b signal into the front of the amp.
so I guess channel switcher and 2 channel loop changer one dry one wet.
Well, that sounds simple enough. :hmm:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I am looking for an amp same characteristics as the dsl 100 but with an onboard 10 band eq built in the fx loop and an effects style loop on the channel pedal so that when you go clean it automatically turns off the overdrive pedal.
Easy solution, get a Boss LS-2 line selector pedal, put an OD pedal and EQ pedal in its loop in front of your clean amp, switch it on to get your OD and EQ and off to get your clean.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Easy solution, get a Boss LS-2 line selector pedal, put an OD pedal and EQ pedal in its loop in front of your clean amp, switch it on to get your OD and EQ and off to get your clean.
That could work if you weren't wanting to change channel too (like the OP), and wanting the EQ post preamp (like the OP).
I use an LS-2 to switch between an OD out front and an MT-2 as preamp with one of my amps (VS65R).
The OD with that amp is a BOSS OD-20, and with that pedal I can use its AMP CTL jack to control the 2-channel amp as I change OD.
But what the OP wants (with a 4-mode DSL100) would be far more complicated than either solution could address.
He wants a built-in, OD containing, programmable, channel dependant 'Pre-FX loop' in the same style as the new DSL post-preamp FX loops.
The concept of a built-in pre-fx loop is the only realistically useful thing I take from the OP's wish list.
The downside would be the extra yardage of tone suck cable needed if you run the additional loop to your board.

But in the meantime my MIDI multi-effect covers all the FX and switching options I can possibly conceive of for a big DSL.

Last edited:

Michael Roe

Reaction score
Just use a modeler like a Fractal and plug direct into the Fractal (turn off power amp modelling and speaker IRs - then into FX return of DSL) use the DSL as a power amp only.
By the time you molest the tone of the original amp with an OD and a 10 band EQ you might as well use a modeler that has all those bells and whistles.
You will then have a gazillion more tone options than just a single OD pedal and 10 band EQ.
90% of your British tone is coming from the power amp section and speakers anyway. Don't be fooled by Mesa amps that allow you to install EL34s. They will sound nothing like a Marshall designed amp with EL34s.
If you want both American Mark type and British tones, turn power amp modeling ON in the Fractal and ditch the DSL for a really punchy sounding SS power amp*. This option is another rabbit hole. Finding a really punchy sounding SS power amp is not easy.

A Better idea for Marshall's engineering department would be this:
Go back to your roots where you effectively copied another company's design with minor tweaks. Go find some Italian made * Paso 4000 series SS power amps that utilize output transformers. Incorporate that design into a head cabinet with 1/4" ins and outs. You could take this step even further by developing the worlds best tube power amp modeling software to use with this new SS power amp. Want an EL34 PA? Want a 6L6 PA? Want a EL84 PA? Got it! Instead of doing full amp modeling like the rest, put all of your resources into just power amp modeling. This idea could even crossover into the Hi Fi world allowing even poor people to hear music amplified by "power tubes".
When that day comes where power tubes are no longer made you will have a head start on the competition. You know, because everything sounds better amplified by a Marshall!

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Mesa kind of has to have a graphic EQ as the tone conteols are before the gain and mostly affect the tone of the distortion. Overall tone is done with a graphic. Personally I don't think most Marshalls need an EQ and since one can add one in the loop very cheaply I suspect the market would be so limited that there is zero chance Marshall would make one.
Just no point. There would be like 4 customers.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
That could work if you weren't wanting to change channel too (like the OP), and wanting the EQ post preamp (like the OP).
I use an LS-2 to switch between an OD out front and an MT-2 as preamp with one of my amps (VS65R).
The OD with that amp is a BOSS OD-20, and with that pedal I can use its AMP CTL jack to control the 2-channel amp as I change OD.
But what the OP wants (with a 4-mode DSL100) would be far more complicated than either solution could address.
He wants a built-in, OD containing, programmable, channel dependant 'Pre-FX loop' in the same style as the new DSL post-preamp FX loops.
The concept of a built-in pre-fx loop is the only realistically useful thing I take from the OP's wish list.
The downside would be the extra yardage of tone suck cable needed if you run the additional loop to your board.

But in the meantime my MIDI multi-effect covers all the FX and switching options I can possibly conceive of for a big DSL.
I didn't read the rest of the thread but the OP says he wants to switch between clean and OD with EQ, the LS-2 does that.