Help: '69 Marshall JMP vs Plexi clone (video included) - I have to decide by tomorrow to keep the clone or pass it

• Thread starter LPman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LPman

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy this quite well-made 50 watt point-to-point Plexi style amp made by an old guy in my area. He used early 70s irons and good quality components. I can buy it for about less than 300 bucks converted to USD but I'm out of cash at the moment so I offered up my Fender Pro Jr in exchange which worth more than the asking price but I don't really use it / like it. My main amp is the '69 JMP. I think the clone sounds really good by itself and in person the difference seems really small. I like that it has its own character. So I made a side-by-side comparison for myself and in the recording the difference seems more pronounced. I can't decide what to do.

I was in a hurry when doing the video and I think the clone might have been a tad more cranked because it sounds more compressed, but you get the general idea. I play a couple of short riffs / lead / drop-D stuff side-by-side.

Keep or pass?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
so I offered up my Fender Pro Jr in exchange which worth more than the asking price but I don't really use it / like it.
Is the plexi clone worth more than the asking price?
If it's a fair deal in your opinion, and you'd use the clone more, the trade makes sense to me.
$300 for a 50w hand wired amp seems like a good deal.

Latest posts