• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Help. I'm Stuck.

• Thread starter IOSEPHVS
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
About two weeks ago, I started revisiting the Spanish Gypsy scale and its associated chords. For those who aren't familiar the scale, in E is: E F G# A B C D, and the triads are E Maj, F Maj, G# dim, A min, B dim, C Aug, and D min. Other chords such as 7, 9, half-diminished, etc. can be substituted appropriately, but those are the main ones.

After 2 weeks of intense practice, I have come up with some interesting progressions. Now, everytime I start playing guitar, I somehow end up back in Spanish Gypsy mode. It's like the song that you can't get out of your head. Maybe working on something like the Scottish Pentatonic will get me out of this, but I don't want to trade one "addiction" for another.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Last edited:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I suffer badly from being stuck in a rut. It's very narrow and very deep, too. It seems that I just can't memorize a repertoire and not have whole sections of it quickly fade away.

Sapient

 
Reaction score
OP: Just enjoy it and see what you can come up with during the time. It's just where you're at now, that's it.

I've played for about 35 years and have been through everything from Arab classical type to Jazz improve at very modest levels. You get what you get into when the time is the time, which eventually becomes a memory of your past studies one day.

Play on ...

:metal:

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
OP: Just enjoy it and see what you can come up with during the time. It's just where you're at now, that's it.

I've played for about 35 years and have been through everything from Arab classical type to Jazz improve at very modest levels. You get what you get into when the time is the time, which eventually becomes a memory of your past studies one day.

Play on ...

:metal:

Actually, it's where I was years ago. I studied classical guitar and played in the university ensemble during my undergrad and graduate years. Before that, I taught myself to play electric guitar. It was a real wakeup call to be trained correctly: guitar position, posture, wrist straight, thumb behind the neck opposite the fingers applying pressure, leading and pivoting fingering, free strokes, rest strokes, ornamentation, etc. I was doing everything wrong.

From time to time, I like to revisit some of the classical works that I used to play. It's a nice break from the electric guitar and playing Classic Rock.

Sapient

 
Reaction score
Actually, it's where I was years ago. I studied classical guitar and played in the university ensemble during my undergrad and graduate years. Before that, I taught myself to play electric guitar. It was a real wakeup call to be trained correctly: guitar position, posture, wrist straight, thumb behind the neck opposite the fingers applying pressure, leading and pivoting fingering, free strokes, rest strokes, ornamentation, etc. I was doing everything wrong.

To think, for all this you only needed Keith. :)

-skvp18DqZC_c8F2C6ltNnv2xABX_FA_-GpKGT3rNAubqVtO1umpk6RfnFHBn2eemRB7eFPsVQW7ngaB19-Bhd7QAsIbwpbtTZ0Xg3rZofKcq9l1s4lnq3o2lea6SbunEQ

junk notes

Reaction score
I suffer badly from being stuck in a rut. It's very narrow and very deep, too. It seems that I just can't memorize a repertoire and not have whole sections of it quickly fade away.
haha, everything will be alright, and it will come to pass. Playing incredible licks jumping around on stage and on your way to the R&R HOF! ... after COVID-19 of course. :-/

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
To think, for all this you only needed Keith. :)

-skvp18DqZC_c8F2C6ltNnv2xABX_FA_-GpKGT3rNAubqVtO1umpk6RfnFHBn2eemRB7eFPsVQW7ngaB19-Bhd7QAsIbwpbtTZ0Xg3rZofKcq9l1s4lnq3o2lea6SbunEQ

I'm guessing the image that's not loading has something to do with whomever Keith is. That's the same thing that happens to me every time I try to post an image.

Sapient

 
Reaction score
I'm guessing the image that's not loading has something to do with whomever Keith is. That's the same thing that happens to me every time I try to post an image.

How's this?

keith.jpg

..the true king of cool. :yesway:

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
How's this?

View attachment 75477

..the true king of cool. :yesway:

Yep. Thumb behind neck, wrist parallel to neck, and wrist fairly straight. His grandfather was a jazz musician, and gave him his first guitar. I wonder if he taught him the basics of proper technique when Keith was just starting to learn how to play it.

Anyway, I'm cured. I got my old Matteo Carcassi, Opus 60 book out and spent a couple of days going over some of the pieces that I used to play.

Latest posts