Help - knowledge about DSL50 vs DSL100 needed

• Thread starter Brewski
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Brewski

Reaction score
So - I just sold my DSL50 about 2 months ago and immediately regretted it so got a DSL100.

Now my DSL50 was loud but not that loud (to me anyway) but I never pushed the volume knob (i use the ultra lead gain dialed between 6 and 8.5) past 5-6 without blowing my mind.

Now I had a DSL100 and with the thing jacked to 8-9 not nearly as loud.

I already swapped all the tubes but did notice that one was redplated - maybe time for a bias but wouldn't have expected such a volume suck.

Ken

Reaction score
So - I just sold my DSL50 about 2 months ago and immediately regretted it so got a DSL100.

Now my DSL50 was loud but not that loud (to me anyway) but I never pushed the volume knob (i use the ultra lead gain dialed between 6 and 8.5) past 5-6 without blowing my mind.

I already swapped all the tubes but did notice that one was redplated - maybe time for a bias but wouldn't have expected such a volume suck.

Did you bias the amp after replacing the tubes?

If one tube was red plated it's toast, and if you don't want that to happen again you need to get to the root of the issue. Buy new tubes and bias them in the correct procedure to 85, just to be safe. If they don't hold that value or red plate again, you need a tech if you're not confident to start reading voltages on a live amp.

The 100 should be significantly louder than the 50, even if people say 3 dB is no big deal. It IS a significant difference. I agree your amp has an issue; it's not your imagination.

Ken

Brewski

Reaction score
I am concerned and I like it loud - do wear ear protection but want that punch.

Adrian R

Reaction score

I have both the 100 and 50w models. The 100w amp is significantly louder..not so much in sheer volume, but punch..and noticeably greater headroom. New tubes and bias correctly..I am quite sure you will find it WAY loud...

Sidebrowns

Reaction score
Brewski, bias should be adjusted with EVERY power tube swap, not just when it seems like it's time for it. the 100 watter definitely shouldn't sound quieter than the 50.