Help Me Choose...

• Thread starter GibsonSlash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
Okay, I have decided to pull the trigger and get a Vintage Modern head today.

I have ordered both 50 and 100 watt heads, I'll choose one when it's ready to be picked up (probably in 1 or 2 days). :fingersx:

Please recommend which watt should I go with, 50 or 100 watt?

spooky joe

Reaction score
I'm getting the 50. Only coz it was a great deal on the Bay.
Can u stretch to both????
Gut feeling is .... Go for the 100

spooky joe

Reaction score
:hmm:Sorry mate confusion all round:confused:
I thought you had to decide twixt 50 and 100 VM.
Where you up to? You have a 100? You tried both?
I had the luxury of not having to choose. Won a bargain on ebay.
Cheers

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
I order both 50 and 100 watt, but I'll have to choose one when it's ready to be picked up.

I tried a 50 watt before, never a 100 watt one.
I wonder how different are they?

steelhorse

Reaction score
Okay, I have decided to pull the trigger and get a Vintage Modern head today.

I have ordered both 50 and 100 watt heads, I'll choose one when it's ready to be picked up (probably in 1 or 2 days). :fingersx:

Please recommend which watt should I go with, 50 or 100 watt?

Awesome GS!

Be sure to post pics and your impressions on the amp in the VM thread when you finally get your VM.

I tried both for many hours and after my relentless tweaking of controls etc. I wound up buying the 2266.

I was briefly tempted to get the 2466 because obviously conventional wisdom would dictate that if 50w sounds this good then imagine what 100w would sound like but I cut myself off and went with what I felt sounded best and to me the 2266 was it.

I know that there were more horses under that 100w hood to call upon but for what I play and where I play it and where I will be playing it in the future it's more than adequate.

imo the 2266 was sweeter and better crunch without having to pump it up as much as I had to with the 2466.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
SH, if both (50 and 100 watt head) set at the same low volume, a 50 watt head would have better crunch tone?

I don't plan to gig with this head, as mainly I'm just a home player guy, so I don't need loudness, what I need is the tone at home level playing range.

I was thinking to get an attenuator if I had to choose a 100 watt head, but do you think this will kill the idea of having a VM, nice tone at low volume?

steelhorse

Reaction score
I believe for your situation the 50 watter will be great, I mean even if you gig or crank it up it will sound fantastic and I've practiced with my band mates a few times with it already and not only do they love the sound but you can HEAR it through the mix.

It's just so unique sounding and that has a lot to do with the circuitry and the KT66's.

For a better perspective google for the Vintage Modern forum. On there you'll find a dude named Steve D. He is THE creator of this amp and you can actually ask him the same questions and he actually answers you!

Rypsolisti

Reaction score
My vote for 50 watt! I bought it and it's just right for me, don't need any louder.