Help Me Date This Tall 4x12!

BadgerO

Reaction score
I own a tall 4x12 with serial number 58017, no letters. I need to know the production date and the correct impedance for it, when I purchased it, the JMP on top (serial number S/A3295A with original caps and resistors, not a scratch on the tolex:mrburns:) was set to 16 ohms. I could not find any information on the cab's serial number on the web. So, anyone cares to take me to school?
Cab.jpg

BygoneTones

Reaction score
More photos needed, and better quality. Show us some internal shots. Im guessing mid 71 from what I can see. Assuming the plastic handles are original.

BadgerO

Reaction score
More photos needed, and better quality. Show us some internal shots. Im guessing mid 71 from what I can see. Assuming the plastic handles are original.
I summoned the courage to opened the back, it is loaded with G12Hs (16ohm), unfortunately the magnet covers on two of them are missing (someone borrowed them apparently), but the numbers on the legs match (BF12 which I gather is June 12, 1969, it matches the head which is a 69-70), one of them has a dodgy cone which sounds alright, but I have already located one magnet cover and period correct cones. Everything is original on her, she was a closet queen. I'll upload more photos ASAP (I don't have a "smart" phone), thank you for your reply. I would love to know more about these cabs, I'm eyeing another one at the moment and there's very little about them on the internet.

TAZIN

Reaction score
The JMP head sounds like it may have been manufactured around October 1969 based on the serial number. Given that the speakers have a date of mid June '69 the cab maybe from around September - October '69 providing the speakers are original to the cab....

BadgerO

Reaction score
The JMP head sounds like it may have been manufactured around October 1969 based on the serial number. Given that the speakers have a date of mid June '69 the cab maybe from around September - October '69 providing the speakers are original to the cab....
That was very helpful, I'm chuffed. Thank you Tazin. I love how these cabs sound, very open, very responsive and very sensitive, I don't know why there aren't more of them around. How much do you think the stack is worth where you live? Not that I'm planning to sell it in this lifetime, but I'm curious, I paid 1,420 USD for it a few months ago, also bought another one that has a 4x12 with Axiom 300s on top and G12s on the bottom, I paid 1000USD for that one because the tolex on the head had some scratches on it.

BygoneTones

Reaction score
BF12 is Feb 1973
June 1969 would be FB12

They did stamp the codes back to front sometimes, but there is also the possibility of the speakers not being original. Also they definitely were not using plastic handles in 1969, but were in 1973.

I cant really tell from your photos what that grill material is. Looks like basketweave, but is it?

Like I said you really need to post some better photos if you want it dating accurately.

BadgerO

Reaction score
BF12 is Feb 1973
June 1969 would be FB12

They did stamp the codes back to front sometimes, but there is also the possibility of the speakers not being original. Also they definitely were not using plastic handles in 1969, but were in 1973.

I cant really tell from your photos what that grill material is. Looks like basketweave, but is it?

Like I said you really need to post some better photos if you want it dating accurately.
I definitely will, you're incredibly knowledgeable, tons of respect!
This is the link to a picture of a similar cab with the same bizarre grill, there are 2 more in my country that I know of, they all have this type of cloth.
http://www.ampaholics.org.uk/tall marshl_4x12.htm

Last edited:

BygoneTones

Reaction score
Well yes thats basketweave on those cabs, but not sure on yours. All I can see is a brown coloured material, I cannot tell if it is actually basketweave or not.

It would be very unusual to find a basketweave grill with plastic handles and plastic skid trays, and speakers dated Feb 73. So that grill might not be original on your cab in my opinion. Something is not quite right. Need those additional photos to know any better...

TAZIN

Reaction score
If the speakers are actually from February '73 and original to the cabinet then a serial around 58,000 would seem to mesh for a '73 cabinet. That would also explain the plastic handles and skid trays. Of coarse the 'oddity' would be the grill cloth...

TAZIN

Reaction score
That was very helpful, I'm chuffed. Thank you Tazin. I love how these cabs sound, very open, very responsive and very sensitive, I don't know why there aren't more of them around. How much do you think the stack is worth where you live? Not that I'm planning to sell it in this lifetime, but I'm curious, I paid 1,420 USD for it a few months ago, also bought another one that has a 4x12 with Axiom 300s on top and G12s on the bottom, I paid 1000USD for that one because the tolex on the head had some scratches on it.

The head alone would be worth $1,420 usd if it was in good shape.

BadgerO

Reaction score
I don't have a smart phone, and my girlfriend is on a camping trip (she's in charge of taking picture and social media things). I don't think anyone ever added anything to this cab or cared to modify it, because I live in Iran and there are only 3 amp techs in the whole of the country, it takes them a months to bias a pair of 6l6s. Iran is a muslim country, rock concerts have been banned since 1979, that's why these guys are in such good condition and so cheap (also because they are incredibily loud and may get you in trouble with the lovely muslims which we all love and respect and by no means mean to offend in any way). I have to order my strings from Turkey! 99% percent of the population don't even know what an electric guitar is. So...

BadgerO

Reaction score
The head alone would be worth $1,420 usd if it was in good shape.
The tolex is immaculate, all original pots, caps and resistors and of course transformers. Some of the silk screen print on the front panel is gone, but this guy is dead silent until you remove your hand from the bridge. My other JMP is missing the back panel label and is not shy about its age or its PCB, but that's the better sounding guy. These are not indoor creatures, they belong to that other side of the world where there are venues and outdoor events, in my side of the world they are just old imported furniture you jealously and bitterly guard so they can outlive you, like they outlived the guy before you, too heavy to go back home, too loud for the blessed meek.

TAZIN

Reaction score
If the head is in that good of condition then it could be worth $2500 - $2800. If the 4x12 cab checks out to in original condition I'd guess it to be worth $1500 or so. BygoneTones would probably have a better grasp on the possible value of the cabinet though....

BadgerO

Reaction score
If the head is in that good of condition then it could be worth $2500 - $2800. If the 4x12 cab checks out to in original condition I'd guess it to be worth $1500 or so. BygoneTones would probably have a better grasp on the possible value of the cabinet though....
So I did get a bargain. BygoneTones is incredibly knowledgeable. I just found out that one the speakers has a different serial number, it is the one with the dodgy cone. There's also a shoe print on the baffle next to that speaker :wallbash: I think at some point they laid it on it's front, stood in it :noplease: and harvested it's speaker :nuts:

BadgerO

Reaction score
Well yes thats basketweave on those cabs, but not sure on yours. All I can see is a brown coloured material, I cannot tell if it is actually basketweave or not.

It would be very unusual to find a basketweave grill with plastic handles and plastic skid trays, and speakers dated Feb 73. So that grill might not be original on your cab in my opinion. Something is not quite right. Need those additional photos to know any better...
I just found out that one of the G12H (16 ohm) in that cab has a crack in it which is held together with epoxy or something. Should I have it reconed? What type of cone should I order and pay twice the price for and wait 3 months to get probably with hole in it? Normal 12" cones won't do will they?
BTW, I just visited a website which I think was yours, it really took me to school, thank you again.

RS120

Reaction score
This is my 1968 "Tall 4x12" (the red one on the left, the black one on the right is a 1969-70 8x10). The Marshall model number is 2032. All original with basketweave grill, smaller gold logo. The speakers are labelled as G12M 75hz but are actually T1511 with the 55hz Pulsonic cones (to my knowledge all T1511 were miss-labelled). The 2032 is the exact same size as the model 1990 8x10 as you can see in my picture. The cab is 16ohms and I believe power rated at 100w.

There was also another variation called model 2034 that was rated at 120w. It looked very much like the 2032 but was wider, the 2032 is 26 inches wide vs the 2034 at 29 inches. The amp in my picture is a 1975 non-master volume JMP and when placed directly over the cab it hangs over the edges approx an inch or so on each side. I noticed that in the picture that the original poster has, his amp is the same width as his cab. To the best of my knowledge the 2034 came only as an 8x10.

I agree with Bygone that its probably a 1973 given the plastic handles and changed grill cloth but more pictures are need.

Marshall%202032-4x12-small.jpg

BadgerO

Reaction score
This is my 1968 "Tall 4x12" (the red one on the left, the black one on the right is a 1969-70 8x10). The Marshall model number is 2032. All original with basketweave grill, smaller gold logo. The speakers are labelled as G12M 75hz but are actually T1511 with the 55hz Pulsonic cones (to my knowledge all T1511 were miss-labelled). The 2032 is the exact same size as the model 1990 8x10 as you can see in my picture. The cab is 16ohms and I believe power rated at 100w.

There was also another variation called model 2034 that was rated at 120w. It looked very much like the 2032 but was wider, the 2032 is 26 inches wide vs the 2034 at 29 inches. The amp in my picture is a 1975 non-master volume JMP and when placed directly over the cab it hangs over the edges approx an inch or so on each side. I noticed that in the picture that the original poster has, his amp is the same width as his cab. To the best of my knowledge the 2034 came only as an 8x10.

I agree with Bygone that its probably a 1973 given the plastic handles and changed grill cloth but more pictures are need.
Those cabs are glorious
I sent some close-ups to Marshall customer support along with the serial number. The nice lady said that head is a 69 and that they did use that type "fret" prior to 1970, but they could not date the cab or confirm that the grill was the original. But then there's the plastic handles. It beats the living tar out of me.
I have another cab that has Axiom Audiom (or is it Audium? I'm not opening that cab again!) on tops and G12H 16ohms (same on my tall cab) on the bottom. Would you know anything about that my glorious friend?

Last edited: