• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Help me find a replacement for my dimarzio x2n!

• Thread starter Keeb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Keeb

Reaction score
I'm using a LTD EC-400vf with a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge position (SD '59 in neck pos.). It originally came with a SD JB but the guy I bought it from changed that to the X2N.

So, what about the guitar?
It's a mahogany body with a maple top. Neck is mahogany with a rosewood fretboard.

What about the sound?
I've had it for a while and I can't say I hate it... But I've always found it quite trebly and harsh sounding.

What do I play?
I'm in a band that plays kind of NWOBHM/classic heavy metal but with a more modern sound. So yep, more gain than overdrive.
I'm using a 6100 (4x12, g12t75 and v30's in x-pattern) so plenty of distortion on tap.

What have I been looking at?
Well, the SD custom (SH5) and custom custom (SH11).

What's the problem?
I know almost jack about pick ups. I know DC resistance and frequency peak and so on, but I have not played and compared pickups to each other, so my experience is limited.

So I come to you.
For a sort of high gain, but a bit warmer sounding pickup. What should I be looking at?

Any suggestions for other manufacturers is welcome since Seymour Duncan is kind of like the Coca Cola of pickups (I guess DiMarzio is Pepsi?)... What else is there?
Any suggestion on other pickups is also welcome.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
The X2N is an awesome ceramic pickup. Why not get it dipped in wax to get rid of the squeal, then it will be perfect.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Get the SH5 you planned on getting. Theyre ceramic PAFs on steroids that loves Les Pauls, and the EC400VF is pretty much a Les Paul Standard-esque guitar.

Another choice would be the Dimarzio Dominion. They're DiMarzio Breeds meant for metal.

Last edited:

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
Hands down IMO ... get the SD SH11 - Custom Custom !
I have one in my Tokai Lester , and its awesome !

Or ....

Hit up Rayne ( Captcoolaid ) at MHD Pick ups ! . he may have the answer as well !

Keeb

Reaction score
Don't be fooled by the name .....:naughty:

I've actually listened to the samples. The tone zone had a live clip, so there's that... A bit better than the "dry" samples from the SD website.

Right now, I'm leaning towards rhe sh-5 sd custom.

I forgot to tell you though that we play a whole step tuned down. DGCFAD.

I've also looked at the MHD straitjacket but I don't know what to do with all this info...

(also I'm slightly drunk)

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'd avoid the Tone Zone, then, especially for an all-mahogany guitar. Don't think it'll handle that tuning.

I'm still vouching for the Duncan SH-5 or DiMarzio Dominion. I'm sure the Dominion can handle D tuning, since it's a signature pickup for Mark Morton of Lamb of God.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
You may not need something so high output here. To give you an idea of my line up I would look at maybe the 5150 which kills in the old Judas, UFO and stuff like that and the DC of that bridge is only 9k. I agree with the ceramics maybe not being ideal for what you are doing. It maybe a bit to picky for you. Something warm in either an A5 or A8 magnet will fit the bill rather well. the Asylum may just do it since you are already playing a high gain style amp.

The SH 5 is good choice as well. I do not care for the tne zone all that much but many love this pickup.

LuredMaul

Reaction score
I need to try an MDH oneday. I've actually owned every Dimarzio ever made except the EJ set. Alot of Seymours but never a Custom Custom. I planed to buy 1 each of the winds and have extra mags but found everything I needed and just stopped the madness.
Pickups for me are like crack.