• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Help Me Identify, Please...

• Thread starter shanepwrs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shanepwrs

Reaction score
I ordered this cabinet online from Guitar Center thinking it was a 1960. I'm relatively certain now that it is not, but I don't know what it is. The ID plate on the back is too mutilated to read. I'm far from an expert, the only identifying factor I can see from the photos are the 4 "cups" for the amp feet to sit in. 1960's seem to all have 2 rectangle bases instead of cups. I called the store it is shipping from and the employee was only able to tell me it is stamped "Made In Vietnam." The only cabinets I can find that have 4 "cups" and are made in Vietnam are the MG series.

Can anyone help me figure out what I've bought??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230702_105348_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230702_105348_Chrome.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 27

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered this cabinet online from Guitar Center thinking it was a 1960. I'm relatively certain now that it is not, but I don't know what it is. The ID plate on the back is too mutilated to read. I'm far from an expert, the only identifying factor I can see from the photos are the 4 "cups" for the amp feet to sit in. 1960's seem to all have 2 rectangle bases instead of cups. I called the store it is shipping from and the employee was only able to tell me it is stamped "Made In Vietnam." The only cabinets I can find that have 4 "cups" and are made in Vietnam are the MG series.

VS412?
1688423154000.png
:welcome: to the forum

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Looks like an 8412. The small foot cups match, as does the close speaker spacing. It's obviously one of those "compact" 4x12 models.
Always look at the spacing between speakers. On a 1960 or other full size cabinet, there's about 4 inches of space between the speakers, and you can see it through the grill cloth if the light angle is right. On a compact cabinet like an MG412 or an 8412, the frames are almost touching and the space between the baffle cutouts is barely 2 inches.

shanepwrs

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm thinking this thing is going back to Guitar Center before it even arrives. The "Marshall Lead 412" listing title lead me to believe that the $300 price tag was a good deal on a cabinet that is cosmetically wrecked. Based on these replies, it seems like $300 would be a fair price for a cosmetically "good" cabinet, and an overpayment for the condition it is actually in.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm thinking this thing is going back to Guitar Center before it even arrives. The "Marshall Lead 412" listing title lead me to believe that the $300 price tag was a good deal on a cabinet that is cosmetically wrecked. Based on these replies, it seems like $300 would be a fair price for a cosmetically "good" cabinet, and an overpayment for the condition it is actually in.
Made in Vietnam would be MG cab. VS cabs are from the '90's and were built at Bletchley.
VS412 or MG412 isn't worth $300, no matter what condition it's in. I bought an MG412 a few years ago for 30 GB Pounds, sold the speakers for a tenner each then gave the empty cab to a mate who put G12T-75's in it and loves it.
Moral.....worth buying for next to nothing to put decent speakers in.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
these cab's aren't even worth that, brand new...

they are scamming, if they are trying to sell that for a used 1960 cab used price...

Jimi-C

Reaction score

That's a VS 412 with 35 watt speakers in it , I have one , it's two inches shorter and 2 inches less in width than a 1960 . I took out the 35 watt celestion speakers and replaced them with 2 ,8 ohm red backs and 2 Eminence 8 ohm Tonkers , for 600 watts total power handling, I love it and prefer it over my 1960s , I can crank up my duel rectifier with no problem at all , or I can be as quiet as a mouse at 1 am in my basement .

Last edited:

shanepwrs

Reaction score
Made in Vietnam would be MG cab. VS cabs are from the '90's and were built at Bletchley.
VS412 or MG412 isn't worth $300, no matter what condition it's in. I bought an MG412 a few years ago for 30 GB Pounds, sold the speakers for a tenner each then gave the empty cab to a mate who put G12T-75's in it and loves it.
Moral.....worth buying for next to nothing to put

shanepwrs

Reaction score
It is, indeed, an MG412. I'll be making the trip to Guitar Center to return it or get a couple hundred dollars back on Monday. Bummer. Thanks everybody for your input.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
He tought it is a 1960...description seems only to say Marshall 412...i see no sellers fault here.

Cancel your order and search for a 1960cab, if thats what you want.

You seemingly caught it on time, shipping may still be cancelled.

Good luck.

Last edited: