Help needed choosing a Marshall valve combo

• Thread starter Les Paul Lover
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Les Paul Lover

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and looking for your help please.

I've started practicing/jamming with a band, in the drummer 8'*8' part converted garage.

Space is at a premium , so my Orange Rockerverb 50 & PPC212 will stay home.

I've been using my little Orange AD5 so far, and it cuts it just fine so long as I pretty much max it out and roll back the guitar volume to get clean/dirty rythm/lead gain level required.

I'd like to score a 2nd hand combo, and can see quite a few marshalls on ebay, but don't know them much. My budget would be around £300/£400, the lower the better.

I'd like clean/dirty channel, 20 to 50watts, reverb would be a plus.

So far i've seen:

- JCM 600
- JCM 800 (many variants of that one, some 2203/2204/42xx whatever - pretty confusing - though their reputation is quite high?)
- JCM 900
- JCM 2000 dsl 401 (I think)

Most JTM or vnitage modern stretch y budget too far, though if recommended, I might try to keep an eye out.

How do the amps above sound?
I play anything from Jazz to hard rock, modern rock too, high gain not required that always fun to goof around with.

I'd look forward to get a different flavour to my Oranges - any help appreciated!!!!!! :wave:

Johnt

Reaction score
By all means check out the journey I've had with looking for an amp, (together with the excellent advice and support I've had from people on this forum) and then finding the one I'm really sold on now, the DSL 401.
Great sounds, portable and versatile (and not expensive used - £300 - £450). Add a 2 x12 cab for gigs and it's fantastic.

http://www.marshallforum.com/marshall-amps/37004-gigging-amp-little-advice-if-you-please.html

And this...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiuNF5DXFfU"]Marshall DSL 401 - Clean and Gain - YouTube[/ame]

JohnT

tim warner

Reaction score
I've got a jcm900 model 4101 combo that I love, 2 channel, reverb, effects loop, 1x12 combo that fits nice in the back seat of the car and sounds real good. 100 watts in a cab that isn't much larger than a fender Champ. and they seem to be fairly inexpensive (450.00- 600.00 American dollars) . Hope this helps

Les Paul Lover

Reaction score
@ Johnt:

Thank you very much, much appreciated!!!! :)

Took a while to red through you thread, and been EXTREMLY busy lately :)(), so apologies for late reply.

That read was very informative though, and leaves me pondering further...
The DSl401 seems to be the cheapest marshal commonly found on ebay, but I've got to say that if I have to add speaker + revalve straight on, it might be a false economy.

I'm a bit worried as to which one to get because my lovely oranges are quite full sounding.

I'll keep my eyes open, but will keep in mind that if the amp is stock, I'll probably have to spend £100+ getting to sound not thin.

The good point fo rme is that I already have to PPC212 with 2 V30s, so if the need arises, I've got that covered.

@ Tim:

I like wat you say about that JCM900 - were they sold with better speaker to start with? Aren't they meant to be a JCM800 with more gain?

Les Paul Lover

Reaction score
Oh...... it took 5 days from the submission date for that thread to appear...... 0_o

I understand that forums do get a lot of spam problems though - and indeed, my Marshall avatar has already received spam PM...... !!!! Ah, ah!

Dizzyg12

Reaction score
Just a heads up the jcm2000 tsl602 on eBay....dude is the 2nd owner, has had for 4 yrs, his listing makes it seem like he had it new and hardly played it. He relistes it cuz reserve not met. Last bid was $430.

Les Paul Lover

Reaction score
Just managed to score a DSL401 for £265 - so i'm pretty happy.

Now I've just got to wait til I pick it up.... wednesday night! Long wait that.....:thumb:

Dizzyg12

Reaction score
Just managed to score a DSL401 for £265 - so i'm pretty happy.

Now I've just got to wait til I pick it up.... wednesday night! Long wait that.....:thumb:

What is that in USD? I bought a blackstar amp to get me by until I can find a good used Marshall. Hard to come by it seems.

Les Paul Lover

Reaction score
About $420 - at that price, I was happy taking a punt.

I'll have to see what it sounds like when I get it - I believe it's been recently revalved and rebiased too, so should be good to go.

I'll bear in mind that if I like its core tone, I'll probably change the speaker.

What speakers do you guys recommend to go with it?

JayCM800

Reaction score
I recommend you play it first and get acquainted with the amp before you ask for "sound" advice (pun intended :)) regarding speakers.... It's as personal a choice as the pickups you like, the gauge of your strings/picks.... :)

After you try that, if you really don't like it, we can help you defile your combo any way you want! :naughty:

Les Paul Lover

Reaction score
I recommend you play it first and get acquainted with the amp before you ask for "sound" advice (pun intended :)) regarding speakers.... It's as personal a choice as the pickups you like, the gauge of your strings/picks.... :)

After you try that, if you really don't like it, we can help you defile your combo any way you want! :naughty:

Yeah, I'm getting ahead of myself a little here..... isn't that what GAS is all about!!!??:lol:

I've been wondering about sticking a green back or heritage speaker in my Orange PPC212 (2 V30, 16 ohms), so assuming each V30 speaker is rated at 16ohm, I could swap one out and stick in the marshall....

I've heard marshall are paricularily suited to green back/heritage variants though....

The possibilities are endless!!!

Hope it'll be a good amp for me!

Johnt

Reaction score
About $420 - at that price, I was happy taking a punt.

I'll have to see what it sounds like when I get it - I believe it's been recently revalved and rebiased too, so should be good to go.

I'll bear in mind that if I like its core tone, I'll probably change the speaker.

What speakers do you guys recommend to go with it?

I agree with others that speakers are a question of personal taste. However, many DSL 401 owners in UK fit Vintage 30s as I have. Once broken in (a few hours playing with the band) and they sound fantastic IMO and they get steadily better.
Best tones I've achieved with my DSL 401 are with the mids rolled off and the bass and treble pushed up (both clean and OD), but others prefer the mids pushed up.
Happy to discuss further once you have it. Enjoy and learn with it. It's a great amp. :)

JohnT

Nic9981

Reaction score
You could get a JCM900 2x12" for that kind of money BUT you're buying an unseen 20 year old amp off ebay. Unlike guitars, valve amps do not age gracefully unless they are well maintained. If you get one and the valves need replacing you've added £200 to your outlay immediately. The other problem is that the footprint is going to be a similar size to your Orange.
You would struggle to get a decent JCM800 in that price range. Yes they have great reputations and that leads to a premium in price. Plus you would have the same issues as with the JCM900 amps, but factor in another 10+ years of abuse!!
JCM600 - avoid. These amps sound lovely when they're working but have major reliability issues.
DSL-401, well you could but one amp you haven't mentioned is the Haze 40 combo. This is the updated version with a nicer, more classic Marshall sound. It has the 'right' tubes (EL34's as opposed to EL84's), better footswitching options and decent built in chorus and reverb.
These amps go for £275-300 on Ebay with the 4 button stageboard and would definately be my choice with your budget.
Hope this helps!

Les Paul Lover

Reaction score
Thanks again for the answers guys.

I'm really wondering how that DSL401 will do it for me. Picking it up tomorrow night, but not sure how it'll do for me. That said, I'm going there with a mind set = not gonna like it, so I can only be positively surprised!!!
I'm glad to have plenty time to try it out in my own home, with my own guitars, and a V30 loaded cab if needs be.

That JCM900 has tempted me a lot - if the DSL isn't up to what I want from an amp (from reading its forte isn't light bluesy crunch, and I like that very much), I might try to pick one up.

It's a total luxury and very exciting - allowing myself to buy an amp that I've never tried, hoping it will do.
I've always researched the gear I buy (and that is very rare) throuroughly, so buying untried and unseen feels naughty and daring....... :D

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
One of the reasons I don't like the DSL401 is that it's effects loop will only take rack effects and not stompboxes because the signal coming out of the 401's effects loop is too hot for stompboxes. If you plan on using a stomp box with the amp, it/those will have to be placed between the guitar and amp's input.

Placing a stomp box like a overdrive, distortion, wah, compression, noise gate, or eq pedal between the guitar and amp input might not create a problem as far as sound goes, but placing a delay (digital, tape, reverse, multi-tap, swell, etc.), chorus, phaser, flange, or other time-based effects between the guitar and amp input might not be as beneficial to your sound as placing those same time-based/modulation effects in an effects loop that is designed for stompboxes. Depending on your style of music, you might like the results of a time-based/modulation effect placed between guitar and amp input, but just remember that unless you spend modifying the 401's effects loop, you can only place a rack unit in it's loop.

So, think about how important effects are to your sound, read the 401's handbook (available for free download on Marshall's official website), and think about how you will use the 401.

401 handbook: http://marshallamps.com/downloads/files/DSL201_401%20hbk.pdf

Good luck with your decision.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
All you need to know is in Johnt's thread dude. Half the fun is buying a good used Marshall then modding it to get it to sound like you want. At the end of the day there is plenty of DSL401's out there so plenty of help available if you get stuck. Listen to what Johnt says he has eons, sorry John...lots:lol: , of experience and knows what he's talking about. If he doesn't his Tech, who just happens to be Brian May's Tech also will. :dude:

Johnt

Reaction score
All you need to know is in Johnt's thread dude. Half the fun is buying a good used Marshall then modding it to get it to sound like you want. At the end of the day there is plenty of DSL401's out there so plenty of help available if you get stuck. Listen to what Johnt says he has eons, sorry John...lots:lol: , of experience and knows what he's talking about. If he doesn't his Tech, who just happens to be Brian May's Tech also will. :dude:

Why, thank you sir!:)

JohnT

Johnt

Reaction score
One of the reasons I don't like the DSL401 is that it's effects loop will only take rack effects and not stompboxes because the signal coming out of the 401's effects loop is too hot for stompboxes. If you plan on using a stomp box with the amp, it/those will have to be placed between the guitar and amp's input.

Placing a stomp box like a overdrive, distortion, wah, compression, noise gate, or eq pedal between the guitar and amp input might not create a problem as far as sound goes, but placing a delay (digital, tape, reverse, multi-tap, swell, etc.), chorus, phaser, flange, or other time-based effects between the guitar and amp input might not be as beneficial to your sound as placing those same time-based/modulation effects in an effects loop that is designed for stompboxes. Depending on your style of music, you might like the results of a time-based/modulation effect placed between guitar and amp input, but just remember that unless you spend modifying the 401's effects loop, you can only place a rack unit in it's loop.

So, think about how important effects are to your sound, read the 401's handbook (available for free download on Marshall's official website), and think about how you will use the 401.

401 handbook: http://marshallamps.com/downloads/files/DSL201_401 hbk.pdf

You're right, but with the simple mod that I have the loop will take stompboxes perfectly as mine does.:)

JohnT

Les Paul Lover

Reaction score

401 handbook: http://marshallamps.com/downloads/files/DSL201_401 hbk.pdf

Thanks a lot for that - I've printed the user manual, might come in handy!

I'm not too worried about the effects loop, I have 3 stomp boxes, a wha, an overdrive and a sustainer/compression all gathering dust.

So long as the reverb on the DSL is decent, I'll be pretty happy.

Woohoo! only 5ish hours to pick and NAD - I'm pretty excited!!!!!! :D

I like new gear days. We should have them more often!!!! :lol: