Help wanted deciding

• Thread starter NumbSkull
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Noticed this while looking, we ALL need this.

thesunship

Reaction score
I'm surprised you haven't thought about a mini amp or amp pedal as a backup for those heads you own. I just got a terror stamp as a backup possibility.

In my mind I'd go for the lion in case a head craps out so you can go to the FOH no problem. Or sometimes you just don't want to bring a head and cab. Also, easy recording.

Edit- oh I see you are getting it, nice 🙂

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Still changing my mind,
Not sure I need the KMA noise gate, I might get the plethora later and that has a noise gate included.
Thinking about changing it for this as I like the free plugins.

Mastershon

Reaction score
To me us guitarists are like drug addicts (don’t flame me yet, hear me out…) that generally fall into two categories; meth heads and crack heads.

Meth head guitarists get all kinds of gear and pedals and bits and parts and pieces and sit seemingly endlessly tweaking adjusting adding subtracting reading researching patching programming etc.

Crack head guitarists grab a guitar and play for instant gratification not giving much a crap about the exact pick or string or amp or whatever.

There’s a high and joy that comes from both approaches, but we often get ourselves twisted up over it with so much gear and options out there.

Gear is fun and having a few pieces to swap around over time adds to the joy, but in the end it’s probably best just to grab whatever and play the damn thing!

NumbSkull

Reaction score
To me us guitarists are like drug addicts (don’t flame me yet, hear me out…) that generally fall into two categories; meth heads and crack heads.

Meth head guitarists get all kinds of gear and pedals and bits and parts and pieces and sit seemingly endlessly tweaking adjusting adding subtracting reading researching patching programming etc.

Crack head guitarists grab a guitar and play for instant gratification not giving much a crap about the exact pick or string or amp or whatever.

There’s a high and joy that comes from both approaches, but we often get ourselves twisted up over it with so much gear and options out there.

Gear is fun and having a few pieces to swap around over time adds to the joy, but in the end it’s probably best just to grab whatever and play the damn thing!
Your meth / crack I would call mental / sensual,
the methheads are driven by desiring information, understanding, control, precision
the crackheads are driven by sensual enjoyment of the experience and the hormonal highs it induces, they crave excitement.

Obviously its all very crude models about complex behaviors but it is interesting to examine the causes of our behavior.

I do play the damn things , but sometimes you need a break, just check email and the news, then just a quick check to see if there are any great bargains on ebay and off I go down an ever expanding hole.

Been fairly good this week ,
bought Two Notes Torpedo Captor 16
and G&L Legacy Tribute
on ebay and bidding on a couple of pedals but nothing expensive.

CrystalBearer

Reaction score
Do you like Thomas Blug's pedal board ?

What is your favourite guitar ?
To me, guitar always come first.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Do you like Thomas Blug's pedal board ?

What is your favourite guitar ?
To me, guitar always come first.
The pedal board is good, clearly just put together for this vid and not one he uses regularly.
I like the Bluguitar amp but its twice the price of the Lion so I went for the Lion.
The pedals sounded good, but I was not sure if that was the pedals or the amp or his playing.
I could not find them online anywhere so I have no idea of pricing.
I have overdone the overdrives and overstocked, so my overdrive overenthusiasm is over.

Favourite guitar changes often,
This week the guitar I have been playing the most is the Washburn Idol I just bought
The Egnater active pickups are great, I have compared them to EMG's and Fishman Fluence and I much prefer the Egnater.
Apparently there was a row about the name so they were quickly discontinued.

I also like the Faith Jupiter I bought recently, It has the beep resonant bass I have been searching for.

My best guitars I dont play often, I seem to be afraid of getting bored with them.

Other contenders would be 2 partscasters with great pickups,
A Yamaha APX1 that was the first new guitar I bought and has lots of memories,
A Gibson LP that I havent played much because it is too good,
A black Schecter flying V with EMG 81 85 that scares me,
A Schecter 7 string with Bare Knuckle Aftermath pickups that gets huge growl.
And an Indie LP that I spent a long time modding, custom paint job, pickups etc.
I also have a Taylor that I bought recently but needs work.

As you can see they are all different, the idea is to have lots of choice and experience with different gear.
Changing guitars keeps it fresh and gives me new ideas, helps to break out of ruts.
But they are all so different I like them for different reasons so cannot choose.

NumbSkull

Reaction score

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Lots of good ideas there, things I will try.
Adding a phaser to Gilmour tones is something I want to use more,
The idea of taming the highs on a delay so it does not get in the way is new to me and very obvious when you hear it.
He obviously loves his gear and knows it really well.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I still could,
but a line 6 Catalyst CX is cheaper and has Helix effects built in.
maybe it wont do the Marshall sound but I have 10 amps for that , one of them must be close.
Yes I suppose!!
I hate working with presets so most of the little grab n go modelling combos suck. The Katana has a Panel setting accessible via footswitch so I only use the presets on it for special tones - lead solo, clean etc. Otherwise set like any amp n play!
Enjoy the toys!

NumbSkull

Reaction score
A 30th for only 400 gbp. Just saying...
Here it is if anyone wants it,

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Ordered the Lion pedal, should be here next week.
Didnt get the Pylon because the Lion has a noise gate.
I ordered at £299,
today it is £375.
Love it when that happens.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Quick update,
The G&L has arrived,
perfect condition,
luckily I dont like the pickups as I bought it to house a Gilmour set I already have.
1712378713615.png

The Fuzz has arrived, I like it, sounds like a fuzz should.
I have ordered another one, handbuilt in UK, because ?

The 6101 is still available, hard to sell amps in the UK now.

A Plethora X5 came up on ebay for a good price, should be arriving this week.

Playing my Yamaha AES 820 today,
perfect guitar, JB bridge, great neck, everything right.

Think I need time to digest what I have, and learn to use it.

Do I need this ? I dont have one like it.

Latest posts