help with lead 12 mini stack very early demo 1971 greenback speakers

• Thread starter LUCY COOPER
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Considering the 5A mains fuse, 240 voltage power setup, the size of the heatsink, and the transistor can style under the covers, that could easily be a 50 watt amp. Heck, it could be a 100 watt amp. I guarantee it's a lot more than 12 watts!

LUCY COOPER

Reaction score
My uncle John told me it goes from standard output, when you push button on back it goes to 120watt.
My uncle John worked at DJM Studio from about 1976 to 1980 which is when he brought from the Marshall engineer.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
The Nigel Tufnel Lead 12 Signature Model! "This one goes way past eleven!"

John Willcutts

Reaction score
Interesting amp, guess I would hold on to it if I could!?
Some folks rave about the Greenback grind from the low wattage rating effect on sound and distortion. Some do really prefer the early Greenbacks to the ones available from Celestion these days. However, those really in the know claim the vintage Creambacks are the best and supposedly much more preferable to the ones Celestion has today which are pretty much their most expensive speakers; and also some love the cleaner? higher wattage "Vintage"30's!
I was fortunate enough to snag a Vintage 4x12 Marshall cabinet with old Celestion CreamBacks inside, estimated to be from 1974 i think. i do like it a lot and use for my 100watt HiWatt amp remake of the Peter Townsend choice. i do like this set up as good or better than any Marshall amp set up I've ever played thru. Real wide sweet spot on the volume when cranked for hard rock with an overdrive pedal, No Mercy Man!!'

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
That lead 12 bears no similarity to a standard lead 12 other than the headshell it's in, and the look of the face of the amp. Internally it is an entirely different game. Not really a basis for comparison.

As per the OP's first post, this was built up for a trade show. So it was probably built at Marshall, including the 12" Greenbacks. I've checked, and yes, 12" speakers will easily fit in those cabinets. You'd want to open up the speaker hole in the baffle boards, I think, but there's plenty of room.

hazmat7719

Reaction score
With this shelter in place, I might just get around to a project. I have an older hand built 20 watt tube amp from the mid sixties. It will fit inside of a lead 12 head. My plan is to use the lead 12's preamp and EQ in front of this amp. I have a sacrificial head with black tolex to make the transformation.