Help with Marshall 2525c settings.

• Thread starter CGH1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CGH1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a new player at 56 and I absolutely love the guitar the gear everything!! I am swept away by all of it.
As a newbie lol, I just purchased my first Marshall, 2525c, for me it’s a little intimidating to dial in sounds . Can anyone help me with settings for Guns and Roses, Megadeth and Slayer?

tincbtrar

Reaction score
I dont have the combo, but use the 2525h head into the 4x12 (2551BV). For me, on the dirty channel, Bass never above 8. Mids get really hard/present at 7, and treble does nothing above 7. Presence will depend on the response you seek.

Settings that work for me for early GNR are P7 B7 M4.5 T6-7 OM6.5 LM 10 IG6.5. For the later Slash stuff you will need more mids.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
If your using it as a single channel amp:
Set the output master at about 7.
Set the volume of the amp with the lead master. Maybe try setting the volume with the guitar volume backed off a little bit, and then you have a bit to play with for leads and bite. Turn the guitar volume from there down further to clean up some depending on the guitar and the pickups.
The input gain setting is really important on this amp. For single channel operation without a boost, try 7 for starters. Vintage output humbuckers and singles coils could probably use 7.3 up to 7.7. Yes it's that sensitive. High output pickups maybe down to around 6 to 6.5 but maybe 7 will be perfect. The amp can get muddy fast with too high of input gain setting, in my opinion. 8 is max for me, 6 is min for me, but as they say "your mileage may vary."

The EQ on the Jubes is really sensitive. Small changes are actually noticeable.
Presence: I usually like around 4. But it may depend on the room.
Bass: The 2525 can use higher bass settings than the big Jubes. Start around 7 once again. Joe Bonamassa always said to turn it up to 10 for blues and that was the 2555. But the Jube is a more bassy amp for a Marshall, so you might find that muddy.
Mids: I tend to like plus or minus 5
Treble: It will depend a lot on the guitar. With a bright guitar 4 might be all that is needed. With a dark guitar maybe 6 will be required. So +- 5 once again.

For channel switching operation you will have to find the right compromise of eq and input gain. For me what works for dirty also works for clean and light overdrive, but I appear to a minority and that front.
For volume during two channel operation set the clean/light overdrive volume using the output master.
Then balance the dirty channel against that using the lead master

I never use the Pull Rhythm Clip.

Jeffreit72

Reaction score
I am a new player at 56 and I absolutely love the guitar the gear everything!! I am swept away by all of it.
As a newbie lol, I just purchased my first Marshall, 2525c, for me it’s a little intimidating to dial in sounds . Can anyone help me with settings for Guns and Roses, Megadeth and Slayer?
You will likely need a pedal for more gain if you’re playing at reasonable volume level. Like a boss sd1 or a tube screamer. As far as tone goes remember slash recorded in a studio & they edit his tone after the amp so it’s hard to be spot on. It’s much easier to sound like angus young with a simple guitar & amp.

Most of the time bass is very low. Like on 3 or 4. Mids are high 7-9 & treble & presence 5-9. Usually a tone that gets recorded has very little bass. So little it may not sound good to you without bass & drums so you’ll probably want bass up a little higher than what is actually on the recording.

Most importantly the tone really is in your hands. Practice practice practice is the only way.

For slayer you will definitely need a pedal & the gain up high. I play slayer frequently myself so unless you crank the master volume to about 7 or higher the pedal is necessary. Welcome to the wonderful world of tone chasing & money spending!

KenpoChunFist

Reaction score
I am having the hardest time dialing in this amp. I have the 2525c Combo and can get a "good" tone with my Les Paul Standard 50s but if I plug in my American Standard Strat the same settings sound terrible. I am not so sure what to do with this amp. My drop D Les Paul can sound good with rhythms but the strat sounds 1000X better through my Blues Jr. LTD Tweed. I am debating on selling this. Dont want to because I spent so much $$ on it. Will keep trying to dial it in. BTW, I play primarily at home and not at all at any venues or gigs.

headcrash

Reaction score
It's rather normal, that such very different guitars yield very different sounds on one amp without altering the settings. This is why there are so many guitars out there (well, maybe THIS is not the reason...).
Also the two amps you mention to me are also quite different animals. While the Marshall is a pure Rock to hard&heavy amp, I wouldn't use the Blues jr for that, but rather for Blues or Indie Pop/Rock.

matt748

Reaction score
Try this for GNR
I don’t have a Studio Jubilee any more but I’m sure it was close to what I was looking for at the time.

Attachments

• IMG_1128.jpeg
    IMG_1128.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 5

Dbunch9

Reaction score
I had the combo a few years back and sold it because I couldn’t get a good Chili peppers tone out of it even though it’s the amp their guitarist uses. Now I have the 2525h and a 1 12 PRS cab with a g12t-75 (different speaker than the combo comes with) and it seems to be so much better this time around. Maybe try changing the speakers out if you feel the amp settings can’t get you where you want to be.

HAN

Reaction score
I had the combo a few years back and sold it because I couldn’t get a good Chili peppers tone out of it even though it’s the amp their guitarist uses. Now I have the 2525h and a 1 12 PRS cab with a g12t-75 (different speaker than the combo comes with) and it seems to be so much better this time around. Maybe try changing the speakers out if you feel the amp settings can’t get you where you want to be.

Agree that the greenback in the combo just does not work.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I am having the hardest time dialing in this amp. I have the 2525c Combo and can get a "good" tone with my Les Paul Standard 50s but if I plug in my American Standard Strat the same settings sound terrible. I am not so sure what to do with this amp. My drop D Les Paul can sound good with rhythms but the strat sounds 1000X better through my Blues Jr. LTD Tweed. I am debating on selling this. Dont want to because I spent so much $$ on it. Will keep trying to dial it in. BTW, I play primarily at home and not at all at any venues or gigs.
Change the settings for a single coil guitar. Can't keep same settings between a HB and singles. Drop presence and likely treble some, depending on your musical style.
Increase gain as required since Strats are lower output. Perhaps you need to try clean channel with gain higher to do bluesy things with Strat, again, don't know what you are trying to play.

thesunship

Reaction score
Change the settings for a single coil guitar. Can't keep same settings between a HB and singles. Drop presence and likely treble some, depending on your musical style.
Increase gain as required since Strats are lower output. Perhaps you need to try clean channel with gain higher to do bluesy things with Strat, again, don't know what you are trying to play.

This is correct. The new jube head I have is similar. Some guitars are thin at first, some are perfect. I tweak settings between each one. If I were switching guitars live I would put a programmable eq in the loop (like an eq-200) to cut or boost frequencies for each guitar. Eq in the loop of the SJ works perfectly

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
This is correct. The new jube head I have is similar. Some guitars are thin at first, some are perfect. I tweak settings between each one. If I were switching guitars live I would put a programmable eq in the loop (like an eq-200) to cut or boost frequencies for each guitar. Eq in the loop of the SJ works perfectly
I don't play single coils which makes it a little easier. I use an EQ in the loop for solo volume boosts. Jube has an excellent loop.