Help With My 1959ltd Superlead Jimi Hendrix 100w Purple Marshall

• Thread starter Klon Solo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Klon Solo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently got this amp in trade for some work I did with the intention of selling it. I posted for sale quickly (before getting any gut shots).

I had someone interested, and went to provide gut shots only to find out that it didn't look similar to to another I've seen online. Instead of the PCB board, it has an eyelet board.

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.

Here's a couple of pics:

20160729_183238_resized.jpg

20160729_183247_resized.jpg

20160729_183728_resized.jpg

johan.b

Reaction score
As far as i know Marshall never used eyelet boards. They used turrets on a brown phenolic ( on vintage amps and the hand wired series )i believe. The handle is wrong too. ..probably a clone someone built...may still be a great sounding app thought. .
j

thegaindeli

Reaction score
Looks like someone yanked the PCB and replaced it with a eyelet. Does it sound like ass?

Klon Solo

Reaction score
Looks like someone yanked the PCB and replaced it with a eyelet. Does it sound like ass?

No, it actually sounds quite good.

It doesn't have a serial number on the back label, so maybe it's a complete clone as opposed to a PCB swap? I really don't know.

Based on what you guys are saying, I'll have to talk to the guy I bought it from and break the news.

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:

Marshallhead

Reaction score
As far as i know Marshall never used eyelet boards. They used turrets on a brown phenolic ( on vintage amps and the hand wired series )i believe. The handle is wrong too. ..probably a clone someone built...may still be a great sounding app thought. .
j
The handle is right - these amps did have a leather handle. Looks like someone 'upgraded' the amp with a new board.

Klon Solo

Reaction score
To make things more interesting:

Note that this one is from 1994, but HAND-WIRED!!!

http://maverick-music.com/vintage-a...wired-100w-super-lead-purple-full-stack-35100

Further, here is the email I received from the man I got it from:

Hi Charles. There is a serial number on the chassis.

I know it has KT66 tubes instead of EL34's - but that's more like re-biasing, not a mod.
As a hand-wired head, it would never have had a PCB. This was supposed to recreate JH head from the 60's before such things were mass produced.
That being said, I can't promise it's in the original condition from 1994.
The guy I got it from didn't know how rare it was. I didn't know either until the guy at Capsule music freaked out when he saw it.
I'm not a Marshall historian, so I'd probably have to rely on the wisdom of the forum experts.
I just did a quick search and can't find pics of the guts of any of the others from that run.
If you're not happy I'm willing to work something out.

So,...the head scratching continues...

Marshallhead

Reaction score
The 1994 purple stack was not hand wired, no matter what that store is claiming. It was a regular 1959SLP with purple cloth, leather handle and small grey rubber feet.

Your amp's hand wired board is not original, there's nothing Marshall OEM about it.

Klon Solo

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I appreciate the feedback

Does any of this mean anything to anyone? The UPC code strikes me as odd.

Wired by B. Halson
Tested by K. Smith
Assembly by H. Sinnermon

Screen shot 2016-07-31 at 8.09.06 AM.png

Marshallhead

Reaction score
It's just the people who assembled it.

Even though it would have had a pcb, there is still wiring to be done by hand, hence a wiring sign off sticker.

The barcode is the serial number, there would likely have been a sticker on the rear panel bearing that number too.

Klon Solo

Reaction score
It's just the people who assembled it.

Even though it would have had a pcb, there is still wiring to be done by hand, hence a wiring sign off sticker.

The barcode is the serial number, there would likely have been a sticker on the rear panel bearing that number too.

Haha, ok guys....I get it. Thanks for all the help, sincerely. I was really hoping, but what can ya do.

thegaindeli

Reaction score
I called it then! :)

I've done several PCB to HW conversions on Marshall amplifiers. My motto... If it's done right, you can't go wrong.

Kurt at Reproduction Turret Boards will set you up the the exact board you need to do a proper refit. Kurt liked my Marshall 1987S rebuild so much, that he uses it as a marquee for his website, and Facebook homepage as well.

I wanted to do something different, so I had Kurt fabricate a board with no through-holes. All wiring is secured under the board... Clean and neat! I still have the original template that I made for this board, if anyone in interested? Kurt may have it in his archives as well.

Note: Reproduction Turret Boards manufactures boards only. They do not populate or solder components.

Last edited:

thegaindeli

Reaction score
I recently got this amp in trade for some work I did with the intention of selling it. I posted for sale quickly (before getting any gut shots).

I had someone interested, and went to provide gut shots only to find out that it didn't look similar to to another I've seen online. Instead of the PCB board, it has an eyelet board.
Is this up for sale? If yes, what is your asking price?

Klon Solo

Reaction score
Is this up for sale? If yes, what is your asking price?

I'm currently in negotiations with the previous owner. I was thinking $1200 plus shipping, but I'm not certain I'll have this amp much longer. I suppose I could keep you posted, if anything changes. Thanks.