• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Hey all question about super tremolo

• Thread starter Mbird6854
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mbird6854

Reaction score
hey all it's been a while since i've been on the forum! i've been busy with my new home studio and making music. I've started disliking my 1980 JMP 2204... it's gain is a bit too compressed for my liking and i really want that plexi "full" and rich sound. My friend in NYC told me they have a Larry Rodgers modified hand wired marshall super tremolo. Played it today and I WAS FLOORED, sounded amazing. Larry supposedly modified it to sound EXACTLY like a vintage plexi. The amp itself is obviously a reissue/ recent amp. My main question is: Did marshall ever make a reissue super tremolo? It had all the correct looking print on the back. I couldn't take a look of the guts but apparently they're high quality transformers (hoping they're drakes) I'm considering trading my 1980 JMP for the amp + a diamond vibrato pedal. I'm just curious as to everyone's opinion as to whether or not I should take the trade. My JMP is pretty clean, it was modded but I think it has since returned to the original circuit. Also i've never heard of Larry's work, I looked up his website and it seems like people love love his stuff. He's definitely not as big as metropolous or friedman, etc. BTW as soon as i get photos of the the super tremolo later this week I will post them here! Love to hear your opinions!

Mbird6854

Reaction score
I should be getting more info on the Rodgers modded super trem by tm

damienbeale

Reaction score
Never a tremolo reissue, other than the bluesbreaker combo's, and the 18W combo's, and now the brand new JTM45 HW head, which has only just been confirmed, and probably not actually sold as yet.

As stock, the circuit would be pretty close to a plexiglass era circuit anyway, depending on the year. I'd get some pics and do your homework on this amp.

Mbird6854

Reaction score
Yes, I'm asking the store to take it apart and check up on it. It's incredibly weird but sounds incredibly good! I'm buying it from main drag music, a pretty high end vintage/ boutique store in NYC

Mbird6854

Reaction score
Also since this will be my first non MV amp I have to ask two questions what will blow this thread up... How does a 112 compare to a 412 cab

and attenuators... if I get a THD hotplate and play louder than bedroom volume, more like band practice level will it harm the amp?

Mbird6854

Reaction score
also i'll be plugging in this amp into my 60 watt orange 112 cab. I've read that cranked 50 watt heads actually can be way more than 50 watts and I just want to be sure my speakers won't blow

Mbird6854

Reaction score
hey all I picked up the amp and looked through it and discovered that it was handwired by Doug Hoffman! It's one of his earlier works from the early '90's so IT IS handsigned by him. the cabinet itself is made by Larry Rodgers down in Florida, and the thing sounds like a holy grail marshall

GIBSON67

Reaction score
A 1x12 won't sound near as good as a 4x12, period! You're moving more air with a 4x12, so more oomph!

And a 50 watt NMV Marshall into a 60 watt 1x12 cab is asking for trouble if you crank it.

I would take your JMP and try it through a 4x12 and see how it should sound.