• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

High Gain Peavey/Mesa guy looking for first Marshall for 80s rock and thrash

• Thread starter JJB79
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JJB79

Reaction score
I'd have to drive for a few hours to pick it up. I know Marshalls are like the "classic" amp but I have very little knowledge of all their different amps. Now I'm a metal guy so most my knowledge is of the high gain lines. Pretty much what I'm looking for is that "classic" 80s thrash and studio rock sound sound from the 70s/80s so of course I think Marshall. My option here is a Marshall Jcm2000 Dsl head And MARSHALL VS412 Cab for $800 but would have to drive 3 hours to pick it up.

Another option is a Marshall JCM2000 TSL122 used guitar combo tube amp also another long drive for $550

Or a DSL40 Marshall combo amp for $400

The names are just copy/paste off Market place as I have very little knowledge of the different model numbers. NOw as far as my preference of combo amp vs head, I don't mind either as my others I own both.

Since you guys are the experts, what would I be most happy with, and the best deal? HOw is that VS412 cab for example?

Or I could ask a guy I met at work who told me he owns a Silver Jubilee, which I believe is a bit of a newer variety of Marshall, but maybe that might be up my ally? He's not selling it, but I've seen a demo and they seem to sound quite nice.

maico996

Reaction score
I have an '87 SJ 2553 (50 watt, short box) and love it. But I don't play metal or thrash, I'm more in the classic hard rock vein. You can always hit the front end with some overdrive or distortion but for me there's plenty of gain and tone for days.

mark123

Reaction score
I’d start out cheap with something like the DSL40 so you can get a taste of Marshall. The DSL can give you a good range.
An open back combo for metal may get a bit flubby but it's probably going to have less immediate need for repair and upkeep.

80sTone

Reaction score
I'd have to drive for a few hours to pick it up. I know Marshalls are like the "classic" amp but I have very little knowledge of all their different amps. Now I'm a metal guy so most my knowledge is of the high gain lines. Pretty much what I'm looking for is that "classic" 80s thrash and studio rock sound sound from the 70s/80s so of course I think Marshall. My option here is a Marshall Jcm2000 Dsl head And MARSHALL VS412 Cab for $800 but would have to drive 3 hours to pick it up.

Another option is a Marshall JCM2000 TSL122 used guitar combo tube amp also another long drive for $550

The names are just copy/paste off Market place as I have very little knowledge of the different model numbers. NOw as far as my preference of combo amp vs head, I don't mind either as my others I own both.

Since you guys are the experts, what would I be most happy with, and the best deal? HOw is that VS412 cab for example?

Or I could ask a guy I met at work who told me he owns a Silver Jubilee, which I believe is a bit of a newer variety of Marshall, but maybe that might be up my ally? He's not selling it, but I've seen a demo and they seem to sound quite nice.
Some suggestions - "classic" 80s I would say JCM800 2203/2204, More high gain but classic 80s - I am thinking you might want to look into the Silver Jubilee or the Kerry King version of the JCM800

Neptical

Reaction score
My option here is a Marshall Jcm2000 Dsl head

Do it! I have a DSL 50 and DSL 100. Those amps ( first the 50) were my entry in to Marshall from years of Boogies..and going further back - Peavey Ultra head and matching cab. It was the greatest switch up I ever did. The DSL line does fantastic 80s thrash on the red channel and the Green channel does the 70s classic rock ( with a boost) like no other. These amps are one of the most versatile amps Marshalls has made. 🤟

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
To give us a closer idea of what you're after, post a link to a song or video that has the tone you're after. "Classic Marshall" actually is a term that covers a lot of territory.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

Dont forget to look at the JVM for high gain.

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
To the OP:

If you want an amp that can do all the classic Marshall stuff + all the wicked high gain 80s metal styles AND beyond, reach out to David Hopkins @NewReligion and order a Pandora-modded 1959 or 1987 head. I've never been so blown away by a single amp. It won't be cheap but it'll set you back less than a lot of Marshall's new amps.

My 1987 Pandora can do everything my Mesa TC100 can do, and it still retains the classic Marshall Growl that made them famous in the first place. I've had mine for three years and it still rocks my world.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
DSL 100H or 100HR.

All 3 mentioned in the OP will do the job. It basically boils down to what someone wants to spend and reliability.

I'd go for the DSL 40 myself. The JCM 2000 sounds a bit better, imo, but if it's 100 watts and hasn't already had the bias and ground problems fixed, then that's an added expense to consider.

That said, I love both my DSL 100 H and DSL 40 C for the same music as the OP mentioned.

Neville

Reaction score
2203, 2204, JCM 2000 Dsl, they all do Thrash. Boss SD1 plus Noise Gate and you are ready to go. For early Metallica maybe also a Rat Pedal. You need good speakers, a single 12" combo might not do the trick. Also the VS412 while handy and cheap might not be ideal. Silver Jubes...idk, of course they are great amps and can do metal when boosted, but they are certainly not the 1st choice for Thrash. I think the low end is not defined enough for fast palm mutes.

Skeletonwitch used DSLs. Not a typical Thrash Metal band, but they use standard tuning, which I think is also important for Thrash:

Rokinroller

Reaction score
Simple , abundant and great ..... the DSL in many forms , or the monstrous TSL100 head , of which I can declare the best Marshall I ever had . Next is the DSL40C . My main recommendation is DSL 100H . Chasis mount power tube sockets has some good old solid hand wiring in there .

JJB79

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Is the JCM 2000 DSL 50 or 100 watts?
50 Watts, but there is also 100 watt version as well I see.

Another question I have, would I maybe he happier with a JCM 2000 DSL Head? How do you think it would sound with a Mesa or Harley Benton V30s cab?
All 3 mentioned in the OP will do the job. It basically boils down to what someone wants to spend and reliability.

I'd go for the DSL 40 myself. The JCM 2000 sounds a bit better, imo, but if it's 100 watts and hasn't already had the bias and ground problems fixed, then that's an added expense to consider.

That said, I love both my DSL 100 H and DSL 40 C for the same music as the OP mentioned.
How would I know if they've been Fixed?
I love my TSL . It’s tubby like a rectifier so I boost it like one and it’s awesome. I have an JMP 2203 and an 800 . It hangs with these
That's awesome, but wouldn't really want it to me like a Recto though as I already have one.

I know money wise I'd save quite a bit as the DSL40C combo amp is $400 But kinda sick of dealing with combos. lol But I might because that price is just too awesome. So whats everyones take on the speaker? is it decent or is this something I'd want to replace? I'm skipping the head and cab I mentioned. Since it sounds like that cab is kinda meh it might not be worth the gas money and time to make the trip and I'm seeing them elsewhere for 700-800 shipped straight to me

Techdeth

Reaction score
50 Watts, but there is also 100 watt version as well I see.

Another question I have, would I maybe he happier with a JCM 2000 DSL Head? How do you think it would sound with a Mesa or Harley Benton V30s cab?

How would I know if they've been Fixed?

That's awesome, but wouldn't really want it to me like a Recto though as I already have one.

I know money wise I'd save quite a bit as the DSL40C combo amp is $400 But kinda sick of dealing with combos. lol But I might because that price is just too awesome. So whats everyones take on the speaker? is it decent or is this something I'd want to replace? I'm skipping the head and cab I mentioned. Since it sounds like that cab is kinda meh it might not be worth the gas money and time to make the trip and I'm seeing them elsewhere for 700-800 shipped straight to me
It doesn’t sound like a recto . It just takes boosts like one . It sounds like a Marshall with lots of low end that can be tamed

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
If those are the choices, the TSL sounds different from the DSL and has 3 channels. I love mine.
While some had the overheating board problem, mine has been fantastic.
For the price that TSL122 is a killer. Boost it up front and it is still one of my favorites outside of the 4 channel JVM.

Latest posts