• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

How can I connect two MX212 cabs to my DSL20HR.

• Thread starter jbellon205
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jbellon205

Reaction score
Have a DSL20HR with one MX212AR cab. Getting a second cab for free and want to connect to DSL20 head. MX212 is 8 ohms and the back of the DSL20 has a 1x8/2x16 connections but I don't think I can plug one each into those. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1704487394466.png

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
You are correct that is not safe.
If you can connect the 2 cabs in series, you are at a safe 16ohms. One of these works great.

18195_full.jpg

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a DSL20HR with one MX212AR cab. Getting a second cab for free and want to connect to DSL20 head. MX212 is 8 ohms and the back of the DSL20 has a 1x8/2x16 connections but I don't think I can plug one each into those. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

View attachment 143283
:welcome: to the forum.
Like @Jethro Rocker said, a series cab merger is what you want.
Another option is the Palmer:
1704490501608.png
I have one of these to run two 8 ohm cabs into a 16 ohm attenuator.
Also, not too difficult to DIY if you have some basic wiring and soldering capabilities.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.
Like @Jethro Rocker said, a series cab merger is what you want.
Another option is the Palmer:
View attachment 143286
I have one of these to run two 8 ohm cabs into a 16 ohm attenuator.
Also, not too difficult to DIY if you have some basic wiring and soldering capabilities.
That looks nice n compact!

gdonley308

Reaction score
My first post, thanks for having me!
Getting ready to hook up two Carvin 2x12 cabs with GT12 speakers in each. I’m going to be using the above Palmer Cabinet Merger in series to the 16 Ohm outlet. Is this the correct ohms as both cabs are 8 ohm cabs? Will the DSL20 have enough ass to drive what will basiclly be a 4x12 set up?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to hook up two Carvin 2x12 cabs with GT12 speakers in each. I’m going to be using the above Palmer Cabinet Merger in series to the 16 Ohm outlet. Is this the correct ohms as both cabs are 8 ohm cabs? Will the DSL20 have enough ass to drive what will basiclly be a 4x12 set up?
:welcome:to the forum...

yes, 8 ohm x's 2 = 16 ohm, when wired in series...

in parallel, you get 8 ohm ÷ 2 = 4 ohm...

the amp will push it fine...

:cheers:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
:welcome:to the forum...

:cheers:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
:welcome:
Yep, for two 8 ohm cabs, use the series jack out of the Palmer to the 16 ohm jack on the amp.
The DSL20 will sound massive through a quad of 12's. :yesway:

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, you're gonna need a cab merger for this one. Unless you have 4 x 8 ohm speakers lying around. Then you could drop them in the cabs wired in series to have two 16 ohm cabs.
A mate of mine had two 8 ohm 2 x 12's and no money. He wired the cabs in series to have 2 x 32ohm cabs, then made a lead with two jacks at one end and one at the other, into the 16 ohm output It worked fine, but he had to use both cabs all the time.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, you're gonna need a cab merger for this one. Unless you have 4 x 8 ohm speakers lying around. Then you could drop them in the cabs wired in series to have two 16 ohm cabs.
A mate of mine had two 8 ohm 2 x 12's and no money. He wired the cabs in series to have 2 x 32ohm cabs, then made a lead with two jacks at one end and one at the other, into the 16 ohm output It worked fine, but he had to use both cabs all the time.
A pedal box, a few switching jacks and some wire is all it takes to DIY the Palmer gizmo if you're short on cash.

jr2232

Reaction score
I have a question. Could you plug an Orange Crush 12L combo amp into a Marshall MX 212R cab? Using the headphone jack into the cab?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a question. Could you plug an Orange Crush 12L combo amp into a Marshall MX 212R cab? Using the headphone jack into the cab?
You could plug it in, but the headphone jack will not drive the speaker cab like a regular powered amp speaker jack.
It's just a line level output for headphones, or a DI.
The signal power is so low it would sound like headphones laying a few feet away from you.
You'd need to add an external speaker jack mod with a switching jack on the speaker leads to get the 12w amp output to drive a speaker cab.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
No, you would need to disconnect the speaker in the Orange, then add a jack socket, solder the leads from the speaker to the socket and then you can plug what you want in there.
I've done this with my old 5203 Master Reverb. Sounds massive through a 4 x 12 set at 4 ohms. Had to drill a hole in the back panel to mount the jack socket.

jr2232

Reaction score
You could plug it in, but the headphone jack will not drive the speaker cab like a regular powered amp speaker jack.
It's just a line level output for headphones, or a DI.
The signal power is so low it would sound like headphones laying a few feet away from you.
You'd need to add an external speaker jack mod with a switching jack on the speaker leads to get the 12w amp output to drive a speaker cab.
Thanks Fitz. Would a 30 watt Artist 3203 head be enough to drive that cab?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Fitz. Would a 30 watt Artist 3203 head be enough to drive that cab?
F-yeah!
That's a killer amp - I had one for a while.
The 12w Orange would also drive that cab, you just need to get a speaker jack tied into the power section, not the HP out.

jr2232

Reaction score
F-yeah!
That's a killer amp - I had one for a while.
The 12w Orange would also drive that cab, you just need to get a speaker jack tied into the power section, not the HP out.
Cool. I have an Artist 3203 in the shop getting looked over. Just bought it off Reverb and it won't produce any sound. Hoping it's an easy fix.