How can I make my American Deluxe Stratocaster (2008) sound more like a Telecaster?

• Thread starter Crispus E. Shays
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crispus E. Shays

Reaction score
My main guitar is a stock 2008 American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster. I played a Classic Vibe Telecaster the other day at Guitar Center and I was in love with the thing. Do you know how can I make my strat sound more like a telecaster? I can't buy any new gear.

I use a Marshall Haze 40. Overdrive Channel. Bright switch on, Mid 8, Bass 8, Treb 10, Presence 10. I turn off the bright switch on clean.

I don't have any pedals.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: How can I make my American Deluxe Stratocaster (2008) sound more like a Telecaste

My main guitar is a stock 2008 American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster. I played a Classic Vibe Telecaster the other day at Guitar Center and I was in love with the thing. Do you know how can I make my strat sound more like a telecaster? I can't buy any new gear.

I use a Marshall Haze 40. Overdrive Channel. Bright switch on, Mid 8, Bass 8, Treb 10, Presence 10. I turn off the bright switch on clean.

I don't have any pedals.

Just by a Tele. They are different wood, design etc....

OOPS "buy". :)

Last edited:

twitchylizard

Reaction score
Re: How can I make my American Deluxe Stratocaster (2008) sound more like a Telecaste

Everyone is right on this. Pretty much everything on a guitar makes a tonal difference. The Tele and Strat ive played are similar in terms of body and neck wood(alder or ash usually for the body, maple for the neck). One of the things that makes the tele sound like a Tele is the bridge. I dig the 3 saddle bridge because it gives it more bite and a tele with the 6 separate saddles just doesnt do much for me. Also on a strat, you cant get the position 2 sound of a tele unless you did some kinda mod like the fender deluxe players strat that has the button by the pickup selector. You would also hafta buy a tele pickup for the bridge. But strats and Teles are two completely different animals. The feel and sounds you can get out of both are great but i prefer teles. I hoped this helped a little bit. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score

well the mim deluxe players strats are ash which would help. a tele pickup set would help too but, really buying a tele would be best. Those classic vibe's are made of pine.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score

There are several variations of the Tele. Each has it's own sound. I mean an H-H Tele isn't going to sound like an S-S Tele.

Then there is this one. An H-H with a Strat neck.

DV016_Jpg_Large_511141.001_black.jpg

In this first-ever reproduction, the Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Electric Guitar duplicates every cosmetic nuance of the original introduced over 3 decades ago. Crafted with an alder body; one-piece, C-shaped, maple neck; a Strat headstock; 6-saddle string-thru bridge; dual humbuckers with alnico magnets for unique fat and gritty Tele tone; and 3-way switching.

This is more like a Strat than a Tele. It even has the 6-saddle string-thru bridge.

The VIBE is an entry level Tele with hotter than normal Alnico 5 pickups.

DV016_Jpg_Large_519376.853_vintage_blonde.jpg

As Diesect said, it has a pine body. I've never played any guitar with a pine body. It would certainly have a tone of its own. It probably mellows out those hot pickups.

I'm not slamming it, just putting in my 2 cents.

S.A.T.O.

Reaction score

Buy a Tele, can't go wrong!

StootMonster

Reaction score

Great, now I want a tele. I played an epiphone version of a tele and it was great. Tried another version of the same model and it was a total bomb (not a good bomb). If you want a tele, the best thing to do is get one. The other variations that Marty posted look pretty darn nice as well. Especially that first one.

Oh and this guy seems nuts to me asking this much for a squire tele.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/msg/2542372382.html

Crispus E. Shays

Reaction score

Great, now I want a tele. I played an epiphone version of a tele and it was great. Tried another version of the same model and it was a total bomb (not a good bomb). If you want a tele, the best thing to do is get one. The other variations that Marty posted look pretty darn nice as well. Especially that first one.

Oh and this guy seems nuts to me asking this much for a squire tele.

Fender Squier Telecaster

I don't know much about guitars, but that Squier is a Made in Japan Tele. That might be worth more than a Made in China Telecaster.

And I can't buy a new guitar for the next 4+ years. I'm in college and broke.

VintageGuy

Reaction score

what's the point of buying a strat and modding it to a tele?It's like having a les paul and making sound like an ES. Simply,sell your strat and buy a tele.

thetragichero

Reaction score

install either a neck or bridge on switch so you can get B + M.... won't give you the exact sound but it's something

twitchylizard

Reaction score

I don't have any pedals.

Yeah you're gonna have to have a talk with yourself and see if you want the tele sound or the strat sound. I would not fuck with that strat you have because the Deluxe strats are fuckin great. If you feel like you NEED a tele, then trade or sell your guitar for one. You could get a badass tele for what you can get out of your strat. Teles simply kickass! I also feel that they have a better rock sound than a strat. If it were me I would get rid of your strat and get a high end tele.

MajorNut1967

Reaction score

Look if your Strat is a hard tail and you honestly want the tele rear pickup tone you can do that. It's going to require you do some modifications but what you can do is get the Tele style bridge and a really good telecaster rear pickup and make sure it's one that has a metal plate either potted or has it Epoxy onto the bottom. Now they're going to have to do some routing and custom cutting of your pick guard and depending on how crazy want to get on the electronics, they can be changed also.
nashcaster3.jpg

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_non-trem_bridges/Gotoh_Modern_Bridge_for_Tele.html?tab=Pictures#details

StootMonster

Reaction score

I don't know much about guitars, but that Squier is a Made in Japan Tele. That might be worth more than a Made in China Telecaster.

And I can't buy a new guitar for the next 4+ years. I'm in college and broke.

Well, what's so crazy about it isn't that it's made in Japan, it's that you can buy a used tele for the same price. A squire should never cost that much, even if you upgraded the fire outta that thang!

Latest posts