• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

How can I not think it's drugs?

• Thread starter end user
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

end user

Reaction score
Another project down the tubes due to someone prioritizing drugs over music. I have been doing the band thing for over 30 years now and in all honesty, 90+ percent of the problems I have run in to can be easily traced to drugs and/or booze in some form or other.

I am a supporter of full legalization so please don't read me wrong but I can't empathize with someone who is so addicted to something that it sabotages just about everything they do.

Another recurring theme that I keep falling for is "yeah I smoke the lettuce/drink/trip, but it doesn't affect my playing abilities".

I can attest that 9 out of every 10 players that have told me that are either bullsh**ting me or don't see it because it most certainly does. Mostly I notice their timing goes south. Sometimes it's remembering their parts, sometimes it's the ability to just show up and play, and sometimes it's them stealing from me.

I am an eternal optimist so I always fall for the excuses. I've no problems with people that want to partake or have a couple cold ones while we gig or rehearse IF you can PLAY THE DAMN SONGS CORRECTLY!

rant \off

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
Another project down the tubes due to someone prioritizing drugs over music. I have been doing the band thing for over 30 years now and in all honesty, 90+ percent of the problems I have run in to can be easily traced to drugs and/or booze in some form or other.

I am a supporter of full legalization so please don't read me wrong but I can't empathize with someone who is so addicted to something that it sabotages just about everything they do.

Another recurring theme that I keep falling for is "yeah I smoke the lettuce/drink/trip, but it doesn't affect my playing abilities".

I can attest that 9 out of every 10 players that have told me that are either bullsh**ting me or don't see it because it most certainly does. Mostly I notice their timing goes south. Sometimes it's remembering their parts, sometimes it's the ability to just show up and play, and sometimes it's them stealing from me.

I am an eternal optimist so I always fall for the excuses. I've no problems with people that want to partake or have a couple cold ones while we gig or rehearse IF you can PLAY THE DAMN SONGS CORRECTLY

rant \off

Yeah whacked out players usually don't sound so swift. However some can embrace it ,and run with the creativity. But they are few and far between.

People still trip in 2021?

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. Drugs can be great tools, but they're not always used responsibly. Not that I'm Mr. Goody Two-Shoes, I speak from experience. :D

Weed is OK, but I sometimes can forget the changes. But timing and feel is good, and in some cases better. Great for improvising.

Booze on the other hand is trickier. When you're drunk you think you sound awesome, until you hear the recording the next day, hung over. But if it is the right amount, just enough to take off the edge and loosen you up a bit, it can be useful. If you're really drunk it also makes you a bit deaf (you know those yelling drunks, right?), so you just turn shit up.

end user

Reaction score
Yeah whacked out players usually don't sound so swift. However some can embrace it ,and run with the creativity. But they are few and far between.

People still trip in 2021?

The typical response I get when talking to other musicians is things like "Well Jimi and Clapton and yada yada played wasted"|

Yeah! Those people are/were exceptional musicians.

mcblink

Reaction score
A drug is neither moral nor immoral — it's a chemical compound. The compound itself is not a menace to society until a human being treats it as if consumption bestowed a temporary license to act like an asshole.
Frank Zappa, The Real Frank Zappa Book (1989).

anitoli

Reaction score
Yeah, it's an issue i think we all have had to confront. I love the "i play better when i'm drunk/stoned/fucked up" mantra. As stated earlier when you listen back you can easily hear that the illusion is just that, an illusion.

Why is this country so dependent on drugs? I have been to other countries and it's not like this. Why?

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.

I am an eternal optimist so I always fall for the excuses. I've no problems with people that want to partake or have a couple cold ones while we gig or rehearse IF you can PLAY THE DAMN SONGS CORRECTLY!

rant \off

Musicians are dysfunctional by nature of the fact that they are artists, or at least aspire to be. But that's not an excuse, it's an explanation. It's an extremely rare situation to find ones who can get along with you if you're the type who wants to be successful.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score

rant \off

yep i know the feeling. been on both sides actually. thank God not any more.
its all part of the addiction bro. its a hard situation. folks cant control what the addiction does to them
or makes them do. thats addiction.
but that statement is a double edge sword. they need to control their addiction. only way they can do that
is by putting it down period.

Adieu

Reaction score
This might be an occupational affliction (seeing it everywhere, not the mental problems themselves... although those, too), but I've recently begun seeing a lot of functional and borderline cases of mental illness where I used to just see wasteoids.

I've been translating a bunch of shrink notes and documentation for clinical trials of schizophrenia meds and a lot of the dysfunctional quirks of people I've known now seem to make more sense.

A lot of the time, it isn't even addiction per se... it's people who started out screwed up and try to self-medicate (to varying temporary effect, but usually with an eventual spiral)

Last edited:

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
This might be an occupational affliction (seeing it everywhere, not the mental problems themselves... although those, too), but I've recently begun seeing a lot of functional and borderline cases of mental illness where I used to just see wasteoids.

I've been translating a bunch of shrink notes and documentation for clinical trials of schizophrenia meds and a lot of the disfunctional quirks of people I've known now seem to make more sense.

it was there too back when you saw the wasteoids bro, its just now your able to realize it for what it is.
but i do agree, the mental health in this country is so far out of hand. IMO, its not their fault, its how the medical
field has handled it the last 100 yrs thats got it to this point. its also how we the people have just stepped over these
folks in need and kept it moving. they are the ignored and the forgotten. shame on all of us.

end user

Reaction score
Yeah, it's an issue i think we all have had to confront. I love the "i play better when i'm drunk/stoned/fucked up" mantra. As stated earlier when you listen back you can easily hear that the illusion is just that, an illusion.

Why is this country so dependent on drugs? I have been to other countries and it's not like this. Why?

Not really sure but especially in the state I moved to, it seems like every single person I know is using something to deal with life.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I'm likely to be judgemental against any usage of drugs or alcohol for recreational purposes.

To me that's just an IQ test and to take it is probably to fail it.

But I've been totally happy and comfortable with myself all my life. Never needed something else to try to help me find the happiness and contentment I already have. Don't need to seek an altered state. I find the idea to be abhorrent, actually.

I'd say that it's fair to say I'd FEAR being f'ed up on drugs. I very much like being in total control of myself.

Even in those cases where i was medically anaesthetized, I did not enjoy the sensations involved and fought hard against them,
with one exception and that being Dilaudid. Which simply gave me the most relaxing and comfortable nap I ever had in my life.
(Yes, that means it's something I don't want to take again without extreme need, because its effect could be quite addictive.)

I know many people who totally ruined (and even ended) their lives via drugs or alcohol. And yet I can't name a single person whose life was made BETTER by usage of drugs or alcohol for non-medicinal purposes.

What I use to deal with life is my senses and my brain. No extra chemistry needed.

Sapient

 
Reaction score
I like injecting my eyeball with battery acid before a gig.

Kidding. I think the last band I was in was a lot about booze for them. They were "function" alcoholics I'd say. I don't drink so I could not stand hanging with them after practice to sit and "socialize". Please.

Sapient

 
Reaction score
I'm likely to be judgemental against any usage of drugs or alcohol for recreational purposes.

But I've been totally happy and comfortable with myself all my life. Never needed something else to try to help me find the happiness and contentment I already have. Don't need to seek an altered state. I find the idea to be abhorrent, actually.

I'd say that it's fair to say I'd FEAR being f'ed up on drugs. I very much like being in total control of myself.

Even in those cases where i was medically anaesthetized, I did not enjoy the sensations involved and fought hard against them,
with one exception and that being Dilaudid. Which simply gave me the most relaxing and comfortable nap I ever had in my life.
(Yes, that means it's something I don't want to take again without extreme need, because its effect could be quite addictive.)

I know many people who totally ruined (and even ended) their lives via drugs or alcohol. And yet I can't name a single person whose life was made BETTER by usage of drugs or alcohol for non-medicinal purposes.

What I use to deal with life is my senses and my brain. No extra chemistry needed.

Too bad. You should try smack. Wait ..you did. "I did not enjoy the sensations involved and fought hard against them". What would be your method of combat against such a thing? Just curious.

anitoli

Reaction score
Too bad. You should try smack. Wait ..you did. "I did not enjoy the sensations involved and fought hard against them". What would be your method of combat against such a thing? Just curious.
Reminds me of Qualuuds, ain't no stopping it hang on it's gonna get interesting.............

end user

Reaction score

Yeah I am not gonna lie. There was a time in my life 25+ years ago when I drank heavily and would take any illicit drug put in front of me. Through CBT I realized I was self medicating. I learned how to "deal" with things without being altered and my life got exponentially better in all aspects, so I have stayed on the 95% sober path for almost 3 decades now. I mean yeah I like a cold one here and there as I enjoy the taste of beer, but I do not care for being buzzed or drunk. My career skyrocketed, my parenting skills got so much better and my relationships with people all got better almost instantly once I lost the drugs and booze.

I cast no aspersions and make no judgements on those who use drugs and/or booze heavily. I have lost people I loved over drugs and booze and the subject can be a sore spot for me sometimes though.

My wife enjoys some reefer now and again and I actually tried to partake in it with her some time ago and just hated it. I felt like I was not myself. It made me light headed and I almost felt like I wasn't in my own body. She might smoke some once a month or so and I do like the smell of it, I just don't like the effect.

Just so many bad experiences it's hard not to hate drugs and booze. Also not easy to be comfortable around people that are doing it.