• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

How good are you to perceive "the perfect tone"? Ear sensitivity test!

Avenger

Reaction score
Hi! As a suggestion from @SkyMonkey, I'm making this thread so we can share our results on headphones of our current audible ranges.

First of all don't perform these tests on loud/high volume!!! I mean that, this could temporarily or permanently harm your eardrums! Start at 440Hz and place the audio in a comfortable volume. 440Hz is the A string on your guitar's frequency, so that should be a safe one to dial the volume comfortably.

Let's share our results with the hardware we are using and the frequency range we can hear. We can switch the channels to see if the different ears act differently to frequencies.

Here's the website to play the audio frequencies: Online Tone Generator
In case the website is down, here's a good youtube video you can use: 20Hz to 20kHz (Human Audio Spectrum).

I will start with mine to serve as a sample:
Earbuds: Koss Sparkplug (in-ear), 10Hz-20kHz rated response.
Audible Frequency: Left ear: 10Hz to 16,500kHz; Right ear: 10Hz to 15,300kHz

Be gentle with your ears, guys!!!

Avenger

Reaction score
For the "upper end" of response, if you're in the online tone generator, you can switch the left/right channel, place the ruler close to the max frequency you heard, and stop/start playing the tone, so you can get to push a little on the max frequency you can perceive. Please do not increase the volume after the initial balance at 440Hz! May harm your inner ears if you pull it too loud and you have a high output hardware.

Avenger

Reaction score
You sure about that?

Of course I am! :p Thanks for raising that up. It is 110Hz not 440! I'll fix.

I have hearing loss from my military dayz.......and I don't need a test to confirm I suck at playing guitar.

FWIW: I couldn't hear anything above 10K on the tone generator.

:drunk:

I could score 20kHz in that test and that wouldn't change the fact I suck at playing guitar! Much worse singing the tunes I try to play! I think that the important part is to enjoy playing it! Well, and without annoying too much the neighborhood, of course! :p

I believe being able to hear between 50 and 10kHz is more than enough to rock in tunes. Everyone hearing is different, and this in part (besides particular taste for this and that) explains how tone-wise, what's comfortable for one may not be that much for somebody else, so tuning an amp is something very particular to each one.

Mine was medically tested about 1.5 years ago and surprisingly fine for a 52 year old stud!!!!

You did it the right way I guess! Knowing the frequency range we can hear just helps for instance, telling why someone hears a noise while somebody else doesn't.

Here's a short story: I once went to somebody's place to help with his computer, that couldn't turn on. When I entered his house I heard a beep out loud and asked him "what is that?", he said "what?"... Then when I got to his computer, he had an UPS. It was unplugged from the energy so the battery drained enough to shut down the computer, yet it continued to chime its warning beep. Turned out that person has had cerebral hemorrhage which compromised his hearing. Although he couldn't hear the high pitch beep from the UPS he could understand and talk normally (usually hearing impaired people has trouble talking simply because they can't hear what they say and can't hear well outside to "learn" it).

dro

Reaction score
Dr. Ordered a hearing test last week. Have had ringing, like amp echo. You know, when you get home after the gig and you hear the amplifiers ringing in you're head. Only when I wake up it's still there. Been there now since Summer 2019. Trying to talk the wife into an audio distraction. aka Harley Davidson. She hasn't been very receptive to the idea as of yet.

Latest posts