How hard would it be to bypass/remove the Pentode/Triode Switch on a JCM900 MKIII

• Thread starter SixStringSting628
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As some of you may have seen in one of my posts, my JCM900 MKIII 2100 has the board burnt near the High/Low power switch and the board has been drilled out. When looking at the bottom of the amp, the two prongs on the left of the High/Low switch are each wired to pin 3 of the middle power tube sockets (one wire from the switch to power tube 2, and one to power tube 3). I am not sure if this repair is making the switch operate backwards as the Low mode is louder than High mode. I only desire to use 100w mode so I am wondering how difficult it would be to either bypass the switch and make it just pentode operation or to remove the switch?

Attachments

• DA7607DB-0BF5-4661-8299-957E4B99F5B7.jpeg
    DA7607DB-0BF5-4661-8299-957E4B99F5B7.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 8BE641AF-D215-4D9E-A783-A47F9ED3CCE0.jpeg
    8BE641AF-D215-4D9E-A783-A47F9ED3CCE0.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 25
  • D84A9EF3-0FAA-44E9-8180-D503CF99C2FF.jpeg
    D84A9EF3-0FAA-44E9-8180-D503CF99C2FF.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 19
  • D314AD36-DBA2-4834-9289-D5F6092E4F2D.jpeg
    D314AD36-DBA2-4834-9289-D5F6092E4F2D.jpeg
    27.5 KB · Views: 22

thetragichero

Reaction score
it connects the screens to the plates so if you remove the switch and wires from it to socket it should no longer be there
i personally would not feel comfortable with all that carbon still there

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As some of you may have seen in one of my posts, my JCM900 MKIII 2100 has the board burnt near the High/Low power switch and the board has been drilled out. When looking at the bottom of the amp, the two prongs on the left of the High/Low switch are each wired to pin 3 of the middle power tube sockets (one wire from the switch to power tube 2, and one to power tube 3). I am not sure if this repair is making the switch operate backwards as the Low mode is louder than High mode. I only desire to use 100w mode so I am wondering how difficult it would be to either bypass the switch and make it just pentode operation or to remove the switch?

If your going to fix it, how hard would it be to just make it work correctly?

Reaction score
it connects the screens to the plates so if you remove the switch and wires from it to socket it should no longer be there
i personally would not feel comfortable with all that carbon still there
Given I can clean off some of the carbon, if I remove the switch from the board and the hard wires from the switch to the tube sockets, would the amp still work and be in pentode mode? Or does the switch need to be there for it to work at all?

KraftyBob

Reaction score
Just make sure the screen grid is not tied into the same DC supply as the plate and you'll be in Pentode mode. You don't need the switch for the amp to work.

Reaction score
Just make sure the screen grid is not tied into the same DC supply as the plate and you'll be in Pentode mode. You don't need the switch for the amp to work.
I removed the switch and the wires going from the switch to the tube sockets and got no sound. So I put the switch back in and just left the low side of the switch disconnected , as I saw another member did this on their amp with a very similar problem. Now I have sound and all seems to be working properly. I haven’t gotten to crank it up yet, just plugged a guitar in at low volume and strummed a few times and I have sound now. I’ll give an update tomorrow when I get a chance to play. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

KraftyBob

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have been more clear. While you don't need the switch, you do need to connect the DC supply to the screen grid to complete the circuit.

Here's the Pentode/Triode circuit for my DSL40C. The two green circles are the switch in circuit. Right now it's showing in Pentode mode as the plate and screen grids each have their own DC supply. Both are high voltage, however, the plate will be slightly higher than the screen grid. When switched to triode mode, the screen grid is then tied into the plate which results in reduced power. In the bottom circle I show what needs to be done - which is permanently connecting the screen voltage to the screen grid (pin 4).

Hope this helps.

DSL40.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have been more clear. While you don't need the switch, you do need to connect the DC supply to the screen grid to complete the circuit.

Here's the Pentode/Triode circuit for my DSL40C. The two green circles are the switch in circuit. Right now it's showing in Pentode mode as the plate and screen grids each have their own DC supply. Both are high voltage, however, the plate will be slightly higher than the screen grid. When switched to triode mode, the screen grid is the tied into the plate which results in reduced power. In the bottom circle I show what needs to be done - which is permanently connecting the screen voltage to the screen grid (pin 4).

Hope this helps.

View attachment 87777
Yeah that makes sense, I figured the circuit wasn’t completed with the switch removed. So yeah I went ahead and hooked up the switch and left the 2 prongs on the low side not connected to anything (the ones that had those wires going to the plates of the 2 middle power tubes). It seems to be working properly now and should indeed be Pentode operation only. I’m just not going to touch the switch. Thanks for the info and diagram!

KraftyBob

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. You may have already done this but the wires from the plates going to the switch are carrying high DC voltage so you want to make sure they are removed if possible. If you can’t remove them just make sure they are well insulated so they don’t inadvertently short to something. 400VDC +/- hitting something inside the amp would not be a pretty sight :)

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. You may have already done this but the wires from the plates going to the switch are carrying high DC voltage so you want to make sure they are removed if possible. If you can’t remove them just make sure they are well insulated so they don’t inadvertently short to something. 400VDC +/- hitting something inside the amp would not be a pretty sight :)
Yes I disconnected the wires on both ends haha. I can only imagine what arcing would happen if they grounded out on something lol

KraftyBob

Reaction score
Yes I disconnected the wires on both ends haha. I can only imagine what arcing would happen if they grounded out on something lol
I figured as much, and it was not my intention to imply you didn’t know. But figured it was better to be safe than sorry. Glad you got it running how you like!

Reaction score
I figured as much, and it was not my intention to imply you didn’t know. But figured it was better to be safe than sorry. Glad you got it running how you like!
Yeah it’s always good to remind people about tube amp safety even if they probably already know! And it sounds great so far! I have a Boss Super Overdrive that I just got to use with it! I traded my TS9 for it, because everyone in the 80s would use a Super Overdrive with their Marshall’s haha