• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

How many people use the FX Loops in their amps...?

• Thread starter Vonbleak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Calebz

Reaction score
Reverb and delay in the loop.

I prefer my phaser in front.

Don't use chorus very often, so I'm not sure where I'd put it.

Tie it all together on a board with a 4CM patch bay.

I love my loop. Even a crappy marshall or soldano loop is better than no loop at all.😃

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I run a Boss GT-100 into each of my Marshall half-stacks (JCM 2000 DSL 100 and DSL 100H), and that uses not only the amp's effects loop, but the GT-100's effects loop, as well.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I run both my amps in 4CM.
The Valvestate has a pedalboard and the DSL has a Boss GT-100.
Both the DSL40CR and the Valvestate VS65R have excellent series FX loops.
I cannot hear any volume or tone loss when I use them.
But I do leave them permanently engaged, and have probably EQ'd any tone/vol loss out of the equation.

I can slave either amp to the others preamp and effects in stereo 5CM setups.
The Mimiq Doubler on the VS65R board sounds particularly fantastic when I slave the DSL.

I traded up from a DSL401 because the FX loop was parallel.
That was a TBE killer.
I'd just discovered 4CM, only to find out my then DSL couldn't fully utilise it.
Very frustrating.

Clifdawg

Reaction score
I will use it if I'm primarily getting high gain distortion from my amp, which in my current rig, I'm not. That said, I actually very much enjoy running delays and reverbs into the front end of a slightly-to-moderately dirty amp, especially if I'm going for an ambient sound. Distorting a reverb in particular can sound wicked cool if dialed in properly.

mark123

Reaction score
Lately I haven’t been using pedals but when I do I always make use of the effects loop. Some stuff just belongs there.

circles

Reaction score
So far, never. I usually just run a delay pedal, but I don't feel like running extra cables and I don't really hear the difference.

Len

Reaction score
I take after Alex Lifeson in the mid 70’s - everything in front (OD, modulation, delay).

Crikey

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So im not new to playing guitar or amps or anything but i've always had an amp with reverb onboard and then just used a few pedals in the front end, so i've never really used an FX-Loop in any amp...

I am going to be getting the SV20 soon and im going to be putting a TC Hall of Fame reverb pedal in the loop - all good... And this will just sit on top of the amp...

However i will also be getting a MXR Delay pedal and im wondering if its worth also putting that in the loop or just leave it last in the chain on the front end...?

So yeah how many of you guys use the FX Loops and what do you normally use it for...? Or do you just go old school and have everything in the front end...?

Thanks for your time and info...

V
Yes. It in loop- delay, flanger, reverb, eq
Straight input to amp wah, volume pedal

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So im not new to playing guitar or amps or anything but i've always had an amp with reverb onboard and then just used a few pedals in the front end, so i've never really used an FX-Loop in any amp...

I am going to be getting the SV20 soon and im going to be putting a TC Hall of Fame reverb pedal in the loop - all good... And this will just sit on top of the amp...

However i will also be getting a MXR Delay pedal and im wondering if its worth also putting that in the loop or just leave it last in the chain on the front end...?

So yeah how many of you guys use the FX Loops and what do you normally use it for...? Or do you just go old school and have everything in the front end...?

V
Yes, I use them and I really don't buy amps that don't have them, since many pedals work better in them. I have about 40 other pedals not in this picture but these are the ones I ended up using most for the sound I love. Its a 4 cable method.

In the front of amp start with a JH1 Dunlop Wah, compressor pedal, to Freqout, Digitech drop pedal, Valeton chorus to the Capt Silver Caline OD TS808, TS9 pedal.
The effect loop starts: BOSS GE-7 EQ, Mooer Radar Cab Pedal, Mooer Preamp 012 US Gold 100, BOSS DD3 Delay, Source Audio Nemesis Delay, Hall of Fame 2 reverb, Caline Boost pedal, Twin Looper, Noise Gate that I really never have to use anyway. But just in case. I find in 38 years of playing I can use more pedals suffering less loss of tone and sound using the effect loop and for serious loud amps in a bedroom environment using a pedal like the Moore preamp pedal can also serve as an attenuator to really bring down volume levels and still sound killer in the bedroom or live in a gig by using its volume control instead of the amps where I leave the amps volume rather high pushing it for that great tone. It works just as well as a load box for about $100.ooUS instead of paying $1,200.ooUS.
I also built my 3 tier pedal board that has two power supplies under the carriage. Then entire board with pedals weighs about 30lbs. So not too bad and it's road wear sturdy! Even with my crappy Marshall I love. hehe! Sounds truly killer. But you never know where every pedal sounds best until you try it.
Reverb and delay in the loop.

I prefer my phaser in front.

Don't use chorus very often, so I'm not sure where I'd put it.

Tie it all together on a board with a 4CM patch bay.

I love my loop. Even a crappy marshall or soldano loop is better than no loop at all.😃

Attachments

• 2023 Stage Setup for Live Playing - 01.jpg
    2023 Stage Setup for Live Playing - 01.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 6

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

V
I’m too lazy for the 4CM, don’t use loops. I set my NMV amps to a light crunch and use a good tube-like OD to bring up the overall gain. My time based effects go after the OD pedal. Works pretty well.

slade

Reaction score
I’m using my amps loop every time I turn it on.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
@OP: I use my amp's built-in effects loop with different systems (e.g. pedals, multi-effects, racks). I usually put things like delay, reverb, chorus, phase, and noise gate in the loop. You can experiment where and in what order to place your effects to give you the best results.

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
I won't buy an amp without a loop anymore. And for the same effects many other are using after the preamp. Delay, eq, reverb, chorus, etc. They can sound good in front too, but I really prefer them after these days most of the time.

Latest posts