• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

how shops price your trade in and why.

• Thread starter ricksdisconnected
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Listened to about 8 minutes. I imagine they did not address custom guitars. Like we put new tuners/pick guard/pups ( prolly much higher value than what's in a standard issue) etc.,etc.
Do those upgrades we most all do get taken into consideration, I wonder?
BP

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Listened to about 8 minutes. I imagine they did not address custom guitars. Like we put new tuners/pick guard/pups ( prolly much higher value than what's in a standard issue) etc.,etc.
Do those upgrades we most all do get taken into consideration, I wonder?
BP

no for the most part. kinda like trading in a car. they dont care about how cool the new stereo is or how big your rims are its still a 2021 Nissan maxima.

end user

Reaction score
My local Music Go Round will tell you on phone or email that they will give you 50% of what they sell something for then when you get there offer you maybe 25% even if the item is 100% functional and doesnt have a scratch. I almost got kicked out of the store the first time I tried a trade in with them because I lost my mind when they offered me 30% of what they sell the exact same things for. I drove 2 hours to get there with some heavy stuff and have a bad back. I confirmed this tactic they use with many local musicians I know after the fact.

Dmann

Reaction score
This is why people use Reverb, Craigslist, kijiji, Facebook marketplace, etc., etc., etc.

Also the reasons I don't ever buy used from music stores, only private.

L&M actually just had thier annual "Jack's attic sale" they call it. Its basically all the used trade ins or rental stuff they accumulated over the last year and they show it all compared to new price on a spreadsheet lol so it appears like a sale or deal.

Music stores are good for 3 things.
Trying out inventory in person
Buying strings/picks/tubes/etc
Ordering something from the big names

Additionally if you order something request it is Factory Sealed and not to be opened by anyone except yourself or you will not accept it. You'd be surprised the shady tactics of stores trying to move returned or floor models as new from factory.

Anyways...