How to boost volume for solid state amp?

• Thread starter Wicked_Tone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wicked_Tone

Reaction score
I currently own a 1980s Randall RG80 ES head and it can get really loud like a proper tube amp. I was wondering about getting my Marshall Split Channel 50 to be equally loud like the Randall? Would I look for a power/output transformer that would normally be used in a 50 watt tube Marshall and install that into solid state Marshall? Any ideas you would like to share feel free.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I currently own a 1980s Randall RG80 ES head and it can get really loud like a proper tube amp. I was wondering about getting my Marshall Split Channel 50 to be equally loud like the Randall? Would I look for a power/output transformer that would normally be used in a 50 watt tube Marshall and install that into solid state Marshall? Any ideas you would like to share feel free.
Does it have an effects loop? Put a boost pedal through it. If it doesn't have a loop add one. Otherwise the only option is roll your guitar volume down, set your rhythm tone, and roll your guitar volume up for lead volume boost.

Gutch220

Reaction score
First, don't go randomly swapping transformers.
Secondly, what kind of speakers are you running through? perhaps if you increase the number/amount/type of speakers it will give you the perception of being more loud and fuller, by moving more air. Like....if you use an 80w 2x10 cabinet now, you can try a 100w 4x12 with 25w Greenbacks or something in a 1960 cabinet
Maybe even look into a nice transparent boost pedal. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SparkMini--tc-electronic-spark-mini-boost-pedal

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re talking about a 5210, I assume? Yeah, it would be totally impractical to try making it more powerful. Higher efficiency speakers are probably your best bet. Take a look at Eminence speakers. They tend to have higher SPL ratings than a lot of speakers (though, I’m not certain that they’re measuring their efficiency the same way as other manufacturers).

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Pete Farrington, my assumption is that he means to say the Randall *is* loud, and that the Marshall split channel is not. I believe he’s referring to the solid state Marshall 5210, which has a two channel preamp that’s setup similarly to the tube-powered split channel amps.

@Wicked_Tone, could you please clarify which model of Marshall you have?

JohnH

Reaction score
Could check the speakers in the Marshall. The specs say it was designed for 50W into a 4Ohm load, being one 4 Ohm speaker or two 8 Ohms. If it has higher Ohms, it'll have less power.

Interesting though, that this SS amp has an output tranny.

The Randall was 80W into 8 Ohms

Wicked_Tone

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the replies! Sorry for my late response. The Marshall is model 5212, a 2x12 version of the combo. It has an effects loop. I’ll try using a boost or EQ through the loop of the Marshall to increase overall volume. The Randall works perfectly and gets super loud for playing live. It has a bigger transformer than the Marshall. I was just looking at options to get the Marshall loud like the Randall. Thanks again for the feedback!

TassieViking

Reaction score
Under Downunder Where The Devils Roam At Night
The Marshall 5212 is a 50 watt solid state amp and does not have an output transformer.
I do not think you can do anything to increase the power of the amplifier.
The 5212 should have 2x 8 ohm 12" speakers wired in parallel to make a 4 ohm load.
The only way to make it sound louder would be to get higher efficiency speakers for it.
Speakers can make a large amount of difference in how loud an amplifier sounds.
Check what speakers you have in it now and find the specs for them, and then look around for speakers with better efficiency to install.
You want 2 x 8 ohm 12" speakers since they become 4 ohm in parallel.
The other option is to install an external speaker jack that disconnects the internal speakers when you connect an external cab, then you can run any two 8 ohm cabs or one 4 ohm cab.
You can also run 3-4 16 ohm cabs if you wanted, just connect them all in parallel.

Bottom line, efficient speakers will get you there.

TassieViking

Reaction score
I should also mention that you can run a cable from the 5212 send jack into the return jack on any other amp and the other amp becomes a slave amp for the 5212, you are no longer using the preamp on the slave amp, just the power amp.

Also if you try one 8 ohm load on the 5212 you will nearly turn the 5212 into a 25 watt amp, it needs a 4 ohm load for maximum power output.

Wicked_Tone

Reaction score
I should also mention that you can run a cable from the 5212 send jack into the return jack on any other amp and the other amp becomes a slave amp for the 5212, you are no longer using the preamp on the slave amp, just the power amp.

Also if you try one 8 ohm load on the 5212 you will nearly turn the 5212 into a 25 watt amp, it needs a 4 ohm load for maximum power output.
Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll definitely try slaving. I realized that the Marshall has two 16ohm speakers. I’l swap them out out for some 8ohm speakers.

TassieViking

Reaction score
I double checked the schematic and it says 2x 8ohm speakers in the 5212 so if you have 2x 16 ohm you are not getting full power from that amp.
I also looked online and found pictures with 2x 8ohm G12T-75 in a 5212 amp.
Also searched here quickly and found this:

Just remember you want 2x 8ohm speakers and they need to be a minimum of 25 watts, but any higher wattage is ok.
The higher the SPL of the speakers the louder they sound, a speaker with 100watts into it with a SPL of 88 is not as loud as a speaker with 50 watts into it and a SPL of 97.
I can not remember how many SPL doubles the loudness, but it is not that much.

If you have a single 4ohm 12" speaker you can run that by itself in there to test the volume.

At least now you know your amp was running at about half power, new 8 ohm speakers will make a big difference.

Cheers
Mick

Last edited:

Wicked_Tone

Reaction score
I double checked the schematic and it says 2x 8ohm speakers in the 5212 so if you have 2x 16 ohm you are not getting full power from that amp.
I also looked online and found pictures with 2x 8ohm G12T-75 in a 5212 amp.
Also searched here quickly and found this:

Just remember you want 2x 8ohm speakers and they need to be a minimum of 25 watts, but any higher wattage is ok.
The higher the SPL of the speakers the louder they sound, a speaker with 100watts into it with a SPL of 88 is not as loud as a speaker with 50 watts into it and a SPL of 97.
I can not remember how many SPL doubles the loudness, but it is not that much.

If you have a single 4ohm 12" speaker you can run that by itself in there to test the volume.

At least now you know your amp was running at about half power, new 8 ohm speakers will make a big difference.

Cheers
Mick
Thanks again Mick! I have two 8ohm speakers to try. A Celestion 75 watt Creamback and a Limited Edition 35XC. Both are 100db. I’ll install them this Saturday.