How to move heavy amp on carpet

• Thread starter MachX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

drewtlh

Reaction score
I need to re-position my DSL40 around in my carpeted practice room on a frequent basis, and my back issues don’t jive with actually picking it up. I’m looking for good approaches folks have found that don’t involve dollys or ugly carts. It needs to look good and not too industrial. Do you use Teflon sliders (seems like they would squirm out from underneath the amp)? Has anyone seen a low profile rolling table that would be a good fit?
Use a movers dolly ... cheep and strong. I have all of my amps on one so I can easily move them around and clean behind them.

Dirty-D

Reaction score
Simplest solution is to lay down a towel bigger than the amp , and put the amp on that. Then just grab the excess and drag it around.like moving the coffee table by pulling on the rug underneath it. I'd not recomend casters that don't come on and off .amps sound better on the ground than on wheels. l usually pull my casters off when l park my amp anywhre.

Mrmadd

Reaction score
Mr. D. is correct.
I have made my own dollies by cutting a piece of wood to the correct size, paint it black, and mount four casters on the bottom.
Amp will push around the carpet easy.
Make sure you get 2" or larger wheels so they do not bind on the carpet.
Cheers

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
Mr. D. is correct.
I have made my own dollies by cutting a piece of wood to the correct size, paint it black, and mount four casters on the bottom.
Amp will push around the carpet easy.
Make sure you get 2" or larger wheels so they do not bind on the carpet.
Cheers

I like this approach. Saves the amp from getting drilled and you get a similar result.

NoelH

Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something, but a DSL40 is not a 'sacred' vintage item. Why not just put casters on it? You're on a carpet, so you have no 'mechanical connection' to a resonating floor surface. Maybe it's me, but this seems like a lot over-thinking about what I would consider an obvious answer. My 63-year-old back isn't in too bad a shape, but every cab I own has casters. If I want to have the 'mechanical resonant connection' with a wood floor, I turn it on its side. I don't own combo now but I did have a Blackstar 40 that I liked. Yup, I put casters on it.

JP M

Reaction score
Do it right. Put casters on it. Marshall casters. Cups and casters. No, it's not a vintage jtm or jmp. So what, it's still a Marshall. Show it respect, put Marshall casters on it.
It'll look better, it'll roll nice, and if you sell it it'll be an added bonus.
And if you hand it down to your kid? His / her back will last longer too...

It's not like replacing the power transformer....they're just casters....
Easy.
Hand drill.
Ebay.
Amazon.
Studio Sound Electronics.
Good luck!

SG Wilkins

Reaction score
I assume the amp has rubber feet you'd rather not remove? I used stick on sliders on the bottom of rubber floor protector cups. The cabinets "feet" sit in the cup and it slides easily.

1668485231081.png

Mastershon

Reaction score

Attachments

• A7BEF658-3D7D-4B9C-9825-1F4DEC39F967.png
    A7BEF658-3D7D-4B9C-9825-1F4DEC39F967.png
    988.7 KB · Views: 1

GratefulDean

Reaction score
OOOH! OOOH! I now this one! I bought a sheet of sanded cabinet grade plywood and some casters from the Home Depot to move my DSL40CR around my thickly carpeted basement. I will try to remember to take a pic tonight. It works perfectly. I even added a little 2" strip to the front that kicks the top back a couple degrees.

That worked so well that I built another cart for my pedalboard and 5W Bugera that I keep in our bedroom on my side of the bed. It is perfect! Now I can roll the whole thing into my closet when my wife looses her shit because I have guitars "absolutely everywhere!!!!!"

Neither are done though. I plan on painting them black then adding walnut skirting. The amp/board setup will get power and lighting capabilities. It's pretty badass and my marriage hasn't been better!!

NikkiNova

Reaction score
I use a pice of vinyl flooring flipped over, finish side down when moving appliances and my dollies aren’t around.
In a pinch, I've used pieces of corrugated cardboard to slide a Marshall cab around.