How to use the Line 6 HX Effects for Channel switching with a Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25, Mark V:35, or Mark V

• Thread starter Vinsanitizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
This is specifically for when you want to switch channels and EQ status on a Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25 / 35, directly from HX Effects presets you've created, which contain one or more effect (i.e.; one preset footswitch controls both the effects you've assigned to the preset, AND the Mark V:25's amp channels and EQ, according to your needs). It is not for assigning a single footswitch to simply switch between amp channels, although this may be helpful for that where the TRS jack connections are concerned.

I'm posting this to hopefully save many people countless hours of Internet searching and video-watching. I know many people have gotten frustrated trying to figure out how to do this, as it has been difficult with some MESA Mark series amps with the footswitchable EQ. So here's how to successfully set up the Mark V:25 with the Line 6 HX Effects unit, so that you have full switching capabilities:

NOTE: I have only tested this with a Mark V:25, but I suspect it may work with the Mark V:35 and the Mark V.

This is how I'm using the HX Effects in conjunction with my Mesa Mark V:25 ...

HX FX in BANK Mode: 4 switches, each containing multiple effects, each with it's own amp switching option. You will need to translate this to your own type of mode: Bank mode, Preset mode, Snapshot mode, etc. In BANK mode, I can make the settings to an 'unlimited' number of footswitch Presets - or whatever they call it when you step on a switch and many effects & functions change at once.

CONFIGUARATIONS:
On your Mark V:25, make sure the EQ switches are set to 'EQ-FS', so that it will accept commands from the HX-FX.

Power on the HX-FX, connect it to your computer, open the HX Edit software, and make sure the HX-FX is recognized by the software.
Plug the (MESA original) TRS cable into the HR-FX's 'Ext. Amp' jack 1 (I have not tried jack 2, but it's probably exactly the same).
Plug the other end into the Mark V's channel jack, and then power the amp on.

You will need to edit each individual preset (active footswitch, whatever you call all these crap terms they're using) separately, making sure each one is not just highlighted in the software, but that you actually have it selected.

In HX Edit, select your preset from the left side column (double-click to make sure it's activated). Then go to: top menu Window > Command Center > Source Type > select 'Ext Amp' from the drop-down, and then make the settings for each of your presets (footswitches) as follows, according to which amp control settings you want (see image below). IMPORTANT - make sure you Save your presets each time you make a change to a footswitch patch. You can select the same (in my case, the 1st) lighting bolt icon, as it's settings are not shared with other presets. Other lighting bolts (commands) can be set for various other things per preset.

'Source Type' TRS controller settings (use as needed, but here are all four config's):
• Chan 1 with EQ Off = no assign
• Chan 1 with EQ On = (1 Ring)
• Chan 2 with EQ On = (1 T+R)
• Chan 2 with EQ Off = (1 Tip)
You have to manually switch each channel's mode, of course.

As an example, I use the above settings as follows:
- Footswitch preset 1: Chan 1 with EQ Off - (for completely clean tones using the Mark V:25's Clean & Fat mode. For me, this is a stand-alone setting that I only use occasionally, with chorus, delay, reverb, etc.).
- Footswitch preset 2: Chan 1 with with EQ On - (for a great crunch/rhythm tone using the Mark V:25's Crunch mode. This is where I spent the most time, using the guitar's volume control for more/less gain).
- Footswitch preset 3: Chan 2 with EQ On - (for Rock/Metal rhythm tones. Balance the master volume with the Crunch channel for hi-gain rhythms, or increase the master if you want it to be your solo channel).
- Footswitch preset 4: Chan 2 with EQ Off - (I don't use Chan 2 without the EQ, but you can if you want to. I may set this up as a volume or gain boost preset for solos.)
There are other possiblities, but the haeart of this is understanding how the TRS configuration works to create all 4 possible functions.

A visual of how make the controller settings in HX Edit:
1664205554242.png

You shouldn't have any issues (I haven't), but if you've made the correct settings and something's not working right, try power cycling the HX-FX. I have not needed to do this.

Last words:
If you get lost, just power cycle your HX-FX and start over.
Once you are successful, don't forget to perform a full backup.

If you can find ways to use single footswitches for toggling your own channel switching functions, God bless you, and post about it here clearly and concisely.

Last edited:

SergejK

Reaction score
Hey ma
This is specifically for when you want to switch channels and EQ status on a Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25 / 35, directly from HX Effects presets you've created, which contain one or more effect (i.e.; one preset footswitch controls both the effects you've assigned to the preset, AND the Mark V:25's amp channels and EQ, according to your needs). It is not for assigning a single footswitch to simply switch between amp channels, although this may be helpful for that where the TRS jack connections are concerned.

I'm posting this to hopefully save many people countless hours of Internet searching and video-watching. I know many people have gotten frustrated trying to figure out how to do this, as it has been difficult with some MESA Mark series amps with the footswitchable EQ. So here's how to successfully set up the Mark V:25 with the Line 6 HX Effects unit, so that you have full switching capabilities:

NOTE: I have only tested this with a Mark V:25, but I suspect it may work with the Mark V:35 and the Mark V.

This is how I'm using the HX Effects in conjunction with my Mesa Mark V:25 ...

HX FX in BANK Mode: 4 switches, each containing multiple effects, each with it's own amp switching option. You will need to translate this to your own type of mode: Bank mode, Preset mode, Snapshot mode, etc. In BANK mode, I can make the settings to an 'unlimited' number of footswitch Presets - or whatever they call it when you step on a switch and many effects & functions change at once.

CONFIGUARATIONS:
On your Mark V:25, make sure the EQ switches are set to 'EQ-FS', so that it will accept commands from the HX-FX.

Power on the HX-FX, connect it to your computer, open the HX Edit software, and make sure the HX-FX is recognized by the software.
Plug the (MESA original) TRS cable into the HR-FX's 'Ext. Amp' jack 1 (I have not tried jack 2, but it's probably exactly the same).
Plug the other end into the Mark V's channel jack, and then power the amp on.

You will need to edit each individual preset (active footswitch, whatever you call all these crap terms they're using) separately, making sure each one is not just highlighted in the software, but that you actually have it selected.

In HX Edit, select your preset from the left side column (double-click to make sure it's activated). Then go to: top menu Window > Command Center > Source Type > select 'Ext Amp' from the drop-down, and then make the settings for each of your presets (footswitches) as follows, according to which amp control settings you want (see image below). IMPORTANT - make sure you Save your presets each time you make a change to a footswitch patch. You can select the same (in my case, the 1st) lighting bolt icon, as it's settings are not shared with other presets. Other lighting bolts (commands) can be set for various other things per preset.

'Source Type' TRS controller settings (use as needed, but here are all four config's):
• Chan 1 with EQ Off = no assign
• Chan 1 with EQ On = (1 Ring)
• Chan 2 with EQ On = (1 T+R)
• Chan 2 with EQ Off = (1 Tip)
You have to manually switch each channel's mode, of course.

As an example, I use the above settings as follows:
- Footswitch preset 1: Chan 1 with EQ Off - (for completely clean tones using the Mark V:25's Clean & Fat mode. For me, this is a stand-alone setting that I only use occasionally, with chorus, delay, reverb, etc.).
- Footswitch preset 2: Chan 1 with with EQ On - (for a great crunch/rhythm tone using the Mark V:25's Crunch mode. This is where I spent the most time, using the guitar's volume control for more/less gain).
- Footswitch preset 3: Chan 2 with EQ On - (for Rock/Metal rhythm tones. Balance the master volume with the Crunch channel for hi-gain rhythms, or increase the master if you want it to be your solo channel).
- Footswitch preset 4: Chan 2 with EQ Off - (I don't use Chan 2 without the EQ, but you can if you want to. I may set this up as a volume or gain boost preset for solos.)
There are other possiblities, but the haeart of this is understanding how the TRS configuration works to create all 4 possible functions.

A visual of how make the controller settings in HX Edit:
View attachment 115914

You shouldn't have any issues (I haven't), but if you've made the correct settings and something's not working right, try power cycling the HX-FX. I have not needed to do this.

Last words:
If you get lost, just power cycle your HX-FX and start over.
Once you are successful, don't forget to perform a full backup.

If you can find ways to use single footswitches for toggling your own channel switching functions, God bless you, and post about it here clearly and concisely.
Hey man! Thank you so much for this! I was really looking forward to make this work with my Mark V 25. Just got the HX Effects and having some serious issues with squeeling noises when on dirty channel of the amp. HX Effects sounds great on the clean channel but the dirty channel is straight up unusable. The squeeling noise is VERY loud. Have you encountered this?

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey ma

Hey man! Thank you so much for this! I was really looking forward to make this work with my Mark V 25. Just got the HX Effects and having some serious issues with squeeling noises when on dirty channel of the amp. HX Effects sounds great on the clean channel but the dirty channel is straight up unusable. The squeeling noise is VERY loud. Have you encountered this?
Hi Sergejk, and welcome to the forum!

-Does your Mark V:25 do this when the HX-FX is completely unplugged from the amp?
-Does it only happen when the HX-FX is correctly plugged into the Mark V?
-Lastly, does it only happen when you have the HX-FX correctly plugged into the Mark V while you're connect to your PC AND running the Line 6 software? Personally, I've found the software itself to be slightly noisy. As soon as I closed the software the noise disappeared.

Otherwise, if it only occurs with just the amp on its own, I might suspect a bad 12AX7, which also might explain why it only happens on the gain channel. Two key things the Mark V:25 manual mentions, is not to run any of the controls - especially the EQ, at max settings. The amp has more gain than it seems, so maxing things out can cause issues. You shouldn't need to max any of the controls all the way out, even if you use the V-curve on the EQ.

SergejK

Reaction score
Thank you for quick reply!
The amp doesn't make any squealing noises when I run my regular pedals (delays, reverbs etc.) in a loop and drive pedals in the front at the same time. In other words. It only squeals on the dirty channel ONLY with HX FX connected 4CM. Works fine with clean channel.
The unit is connected correctly via 4CM as it says in the manual and in videos on their youtube channel.
I have tried to run the HXFX both plugged and unplugged from computer.

AdamGuitarMan

Reaction score
Hi SergejK,

I have the same exact issue you described with loud squealing using HX Effects in 4CM on Mesa Mark V:35 only on Channel 2 using high Gain settings … did you ever find a fix for this?

Adam