• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

HUDSL1HRAD

• Thread starter jmp45
  • Start date
  • Tags
    dsl1hr
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jmp45

Reaction score
Well I decided to venture into the Marshall DSL line today, a DSL1HR. Albeit starting at the bottom. Got a good deal on a used head off verb, see how it goes. I'll be all by myself with a Marshall tube head with a loop.. ;) Looks in good shape, 5 hrs use. Curious to see the hubbub about these little 1 watters.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes keep it in perspective and don't expect it to out perform your big amps and you'll find a use for it.

I have a Dsl1hr myself and it's a great little amp for low volume quickie jams..good reverb..effects loop..has a low watt setting. But can get fizzy if overgained, and the headphone out sucks..but all in all imo a bargain for what they ask for them. Will it replace my 800 or 1987 clone?..no but For what it is I like it alot.

I run it through an old lead12 slant cab with a Jensen falcon 40 and it sounds pretty damn good, and it's a cool looking little half stack. Just wish the headphone out was as good as my little 1w blackstar.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I decided to venture into the Marshall DSL line today, a DSL1HR. Albeit starting at the bottom. Got a good deal on a used head off verb, see how it goes. I'll be all by myself with a Marshall tube head with a loop.. ;) Looks in good shape, 5 hrs use. Curious to see the hubbub about these little 1 watters.
Congratulations on your new amp bro, I do hope you find it useful, cannot go wrong with a Marshall..

jmp45

Reaction score
And don't be shocked by the overly glossy tolex...lol..it seems to be very sheeny..:)

Yeah, what is with all that gloss?? Not planning on using headphones with it. I have a 1x12 cab I use with a tiny terror I'll swap with for testing. It has some warehouse flavor in it.

cvulxud8vtdtqthewi9u.jpg

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's like permanent armour all..lol ..sometimes I look at it and I'd swear it has some sparkly thing going on too. I've seen some mx cabs that appear to have the same covering. Oh yea..one other gripe is it only having a 16ohm out..

Sustainium

Reaction score
Yes keep it in perspective and don't expect it to out perform your big amps and you'll find a use for it.

I have a Dsl1hr myself and it's a great little amp for low volume quickie jams..good reverb..effects loop..has a low watt setting. But can get fizzy if overgained, and the headphone out sucks..but all in all imo a bargain for what they ask for them. Will it replace my 800 or 1987 clone?..no but For what it is I like it alot.

I run it through an old lead12 slant cab with a Jensen falcon 40 and it sounds pretty damn good, and it's a cool looking little half stack. Just wish the headphone out was as good as my little 1w blackstar.
For the emulated output on the DSL1H to be compatible with headphone use you must use a headphone amplifier. I use this one, headphones operate perfect using my DSL1.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HA400--behringer-microamp-ha400-4-ch-headphone-amplifier

Deerhunter1972

Reaction score

I love mine. Got it used in almost mint condition a few moths ago off Reverb for $150 shipped. It is everything others have said it is. I pair mine with a 1x12 Avatar with a Celestion G12T75 and it sounds almost as good as my DSL20HR. The emulated out does suck but works. I gig it in small venues mic'd with a sm57 no problem with a 6 man band.

@Sustanium...curious how the headphone amp is an improvement?? Even at low volumes in 0.5Watt it is kinda loud to be playing at 3AM without waking everyone up.

jmp45

Reaction score
Seriously, gigged mic'd? Crazy.. I'm an old guy and all I can remember gigging live was wrecking my hearing in my right ear in the 70s from the animal drummer. Fun days, things have changed .. ;) Oh well, they both ring now.

Deerhunter1972

Reaction score
Seriously, gigged mic'd? Crazy.. I'm an old guy and all I can remember gigging live was wrecking my hearing in my right ear in the 70s from the animal drummer. Fun days, things have changed .. ;) Oh well, they both ring now.
LOL! Actually it's mic'd direct to PA, and I use in ear monitors. I'm old too! But definitely prefer LOUD if it were my choice. Nowadays everyone wants zero stage volume. I refuse to go the Kemper/Helix/Line 6 route everyone is doing now. Tube amps till the end! Nothing can replicate the sound of cooking tubes, I don''t care what they say. :dude::dude::dude:

Sustainium

Reaction score
I love mine. Got it used in almost mint condition a few moths ago off Reverb for $150 shipped. It is everything others have said it is. I pair mine with a 1x12 Avatar with a Celestion G12T75 and it sounds almost as good as my DSL20HR. The emulated out does suck but works. I gig it in small venues mic'd with a sm57 no problem with a 6 man band.

@Sustanium...curious how the headphone amp is an improvement?? Even at low volumes in 0.5Watt it is kinda loud to be playing at 3AM without waking everyone up.
The DSL1 can be used without the speaker connected, no damage will occur to the DSL1 per Sweetwater and I believe it’s stated in the manual also. Headphones sound good and has its own volume.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
The DSL1 can be used without the speaker connected, no damage will occur to the DSL1 per Sweetwater and I believe it’s stated in the manual also. Headphones sound good and has its own volume.
Is that with the amp in "Standby" mode, or does it even have a "Standby" mode? Never seen or heard one, what's inside?

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Im pretty sure with no speaker connected the DSL1HR needs to be in .1 watt mode. The 50th Anniversary Marshalls are all that way.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the manual tells you to unplug the speaker before using headphones. Check on that beforehand.

And the headphone out the way the factory says to use it sucks. Sure if you run it into a seperate separate component it may be ok, but running it the way it is intended from the factory imo is not good.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the emulated output on the DSL1H to be compatible with headphone use you must use a headphone amplifier. I use this one, headphones operate perfect using my DSL1.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HA400--behringer-microamp-ha400-4-ch-headphone-amplifier
Are you talking the original dsl1h, or the current dsl1hr? Jmp45 has the current version which is what I'm referencing as well. The manual says headphones can be used by just plugging in and unplugging the speaker from the head before power up. There's 2 versions of the 1 watt dsl.

Sustainium

Reaction score
Are you talking the original dsl1h, or the current dsl1hr? Jmp45 has the current version which is what I'm referencing as well. The manual says headphones can be used by just plugging in and unplugging the speaker from the head before power up. There's 2 versions of the 1 watt dsl.
I’m talking about the current version as I bought it new from SWEETWATER a few months ago. It does not need to be in low power position to unplug speaker as a poster incorrectly suggested.

jmp45

Reaction score
Found this on the DSL1HR, makes sense..

17. EMULATED OUT
Frequency compensated line level output for headphones or for connection to a mixer. The DSL is equipped with a high quality emulated output using Softube-designed studio cabinet REAR PANEL FUNCTIONS DSL1CR REAR PANEL emulation. This ensures that your headphone and output signal from this socket provide the best possible tone for practice or recording.

WARNING: When using the DSL1HR head for ‘silent’ practice or DI recording ALWAYS disconnect the speaker cabinet from the amplifier’s rear panel before switching on. NEVER unplug the speaker cable from the speaker cabinet while it is still connected to the amplifier rear panel. This may stress the amplifier’s power-stage and in extreme cases may lead to valve and/or transformer failure.

WARNING: Only ever connect a single 1 x 16 Ohm speaker cabinet. Any other speaker configuration may stress the power amplifier section and in extreme cases may lead to valve and/or output transformer failure.

https://bonstudioassets.blob.core.windows.net/assets/docs/dsl1cr-dsl1hr.pdf

Latest posts