Hunts 32+32uf Filter Caps Replacement

• Thread starter Procter2812
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Procter2812

Reaction score
Has anyone got any recommendations on what to replace the HUNTS* 32+32uf filters in my Super PA with.. Noticed nowhere seem to do the cans with the same layout e.g... two positives on one side and the negative on the other.. As the caps are wired in parallel, could i use say one 80uf single 500v F+T caps to replace one of the parallel wired 32+32uf Hunts? or should I use individual axial 32ufs?

Cheers

Last edited:

London John

Reaction score
I may have some NOS Hunts or RS 32+32uf caps. Give me a day or two and I'll check.

neikeel

Reaction score
NOS and Rare Stuff | ValveStorm

These are reformed already.

You would probably need to reform the ones John has?

I have run out of my stash I am afraid.

Oh and John if you have some RS 32/32 maybe we can trade?

danman

Reaction score
Are you referring to the axial preamp cap? Valvestorm sells both Erie and F&T caps in this style.

Procter2812

Reaction score
Nice one guys, I mean the power supply board, it has 4 or so 32+32uf Hunts axial cans, then two 50uf+50uf cans on the top of the chassis are ERIE which iv got replacements for, just need the power supply caps changed out, all pre caps look good, was looking at the F&T as they look like a neat replacement.. just out of stock everywhere. Got my new power transformer on the way swell from Tube amp doc.. Anyone got experiences with their transformers?

Yngwiestrat

Reaction score
NOS and Rare Stuff | ValveStorm

I used one of these reformed from Valvestorm - period correct, sounds great

Procter2812

Reaction score
Just installed the new Power Transformer and bias caps. Fired right up and sounds great... however there is quite a bit of background noise which increases dramatically as the treble knob and presence is turned up, but the noise decreases when both volumes are at full?

Im going to order new power supply caps for it, swapped pre amp valves and that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Probably going to go with F+T dual axials. Im going to keep all the replaced parts for the next buyer... but until then I'm going to get it as reliable and great sounding as possible!!

neikeel

Reaction score
I am puzzled as to why it has all those dual caps on the filter board, you see the odd amp with them but usually 100uF x2 in series for mains and 32 x2 in series fr screens, Pi up top and dual 32 on preamp board.

A picture would help me understand.......

Procter2812

Reaction score
Well it's got 3 x 32uf Duals and a 100uf on the main board, then two 50/50uf up on the top. From what I can see it looks like it had 4 x 32uf duals on the main board going on what what looks like was soldered there but one has been replaced for an RS 100uf for the screens.

From what I gather these Super PA amps varied a lot, but not so sure.
Il try get a picture up soon, but in the mean time there's one on my old thread about a Super PA Mains Transformer
Cheers

TAZIN

Reaction score
The four dual 32uF caps is Marshall's somewhat oddball setup. I've seen a decent number of 100w amps (Super Lead, Super Bass, Super PA, and Super Tremolo's) with this arrangement. Some use Hunt's brand and other use TCC Electropak.

Procter2812

Reaction score
I'm used to using JCM 800s, so the amp does seem to be looser than my others. But I like it. What would you guys suggest? Keep the 4x dual 32uf or go with 2x 32uf and 2x 100uf? It seems as though it was laid out in the 4 x 32uf so I might go with that as it will feel different to my others.

neikeel

Reaction score
I'm used to using JCM 800s, so the amp does seem to be looser than my others. But I like it. What would you guys suggest? Keep the 4x dual 32uf or go with 2x 32uf and 2x 100uf? It seems as though it was laid out in the 4 x 32uf so I might go with that as it will feel different to my others.

I agree, go with the same again. New F&Ts will feel crisper anyway, the turret positions will stay the same. Messing around with x4 100uF would be fiddly.

TAZIN

Reaction score
I agree, go with the same again. New F&Ts will feel crisper anyway, the turret positions will stay the same. Messing around with x4 100uF would be fiddly.

Ditto

Procter2812

Reaction score
Sweet, il go with that. Just waiting for places to get them in stock! Some place in the UK has NOS Hunts that are reformed for £6.50. But il stick with the F+T or TAD, the TAD are quite a lot cheaper, and I'm guessing are possibly rebranded F+T? (Made in Germany)?

Procter2812

Reaction score
Replaced all filter caps with F+T... Sounds great! Just one niggle. Treble control still is adding hum/buzz. Im guessing the treble cap in the tone stack is leaking.. Traced it back to that anyway. 0.9vdc on the treble pot after the treble cap... Anyone else found this? ordered some NOS 270pf RS ceramics as couldn't find any red tubular 250pf's.

Didn't realise as well, this amp has the old 5k presence setup. AKA scratch city. but don't get me wrong sounds class.

Got a set of NOS RFT in the power amps and Mullard ECC83 in the pre, all tested new. Amp sounds mega, just needs few last tweaks.